By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pre-owned market is "defrauding the industry"

Ail said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Ail said:
Easy, only ship 90% of the game on the DVD and require the user to download the last 10% !

I should patent this !

Umm....I think there might be some sort of backlash and/or legal action against a company who sold a big game, that didn't work unless it was brand new, lol.

You know gamestop employees play all the new games? They are just required to return it "looking new" or they have to pay for it.

It would also destroy gamespot, gamefly, and the gaming economy in general would be taking in far less money. Less people would actually buy these games.

Right now, the industry just isn't equipped for such broad ranging change, in order to make more money than they already do. Nintendo, for instance, will never, ever do something like that, lol. They barely even lower the price of their games, and they still sell forever.

It would be the equivelant of....if your DVDs would only play on your DVD player. It might be something people like us understand the reasoning behind, but it just wouldn't be accepted by a wide audience.

As for your suggestion, I assume you mean, you need a 1 time download code in order to DL the last 10 percent. If not, then it wouldn't address the problem whatsoever.

You assume right.

You could make it so that the same person could get the download several times in case they change gaming hardware ( make them register and stuff using the download code on the game box..)

For gamefly you could fix it by making rent only versions of the game (the same thing they do for movies, you can't resell those copies). It would be in favor of both publishers and gamefly. Publishers would get their cut each time a movie in rented, gamefly wouldn't have to sell used copies of their game to balance their budget (I somewhat doubt they do more than break even just on renting revenue...)

PS : Gamestop letting its employee play games and selling them as new is clearly not a practice that  is in the benefit of either the customer or the publisher so it's not really something I want to see in the future anyway......

Then why do I see Blockbuster selling tons of used copies of popular DVDs (i.e. the ones that Blockbuster would need to have many copies of until it got old)? 

Also, how does depriving gamefly of a source of revenue (used game sales) help it?  I think I'm just not understanding your model here because I also don't understand how publishers would get a cut EVERY time it's rented.  Are you suggesting publishers would give these to gamefly for free and get their money back on rentals?  So in essence the publishers would be contracting out rental services to gamefly? 

P.S.  Did you know Gamestop also sells its opened "floor model" games as new also?  This is not something I believe normal retailers do.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

I think what needs to be done is that the developers/publishers enter into a contract with said venues such as GameStop, and receive a percentage of the re-sale of the game.

And Chrizum - Cars are a horrible example. You don't drive a car for 1 week and sell it, but you do with a game. Heck, I've already seen used copies of Far Cry 2 available at my local gamestop.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

It's only a matter of time before consoles go the way of DRM/download only.
XBLA and Wiiware is gauge of how well things will work out in the long run.

Silent Hill PC just went steam only.

What's next?

It's just that simple.

I think Ubisoft has the right idea with lowering their prices as demand for the title drops. EB games was offering as little as $2 for used copies of Assassin's Creed because Ubisoft dropped the price on used copies accordingly. But again if some poor kid got a copy of a game he didn't want, shouldn't he have the right to trade it in for something he would enjoy before the value of said game became worthless?

And this is the real reason we have DRMs in PC games.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
I think what needs to be done is that the developers/publishers enter into a contract with said venues such as GameStop, and receive a percentage of the re-sale of the game.

And Chrizum - Cars are a horrible example. You don't drive a car for 1 week and sell it, but you do with a game. Heck, I've already seen used copies of Far Cry 2 available at my local gamestop.

Maybe they just hated the game?

I mean every store by me had like tons of used Assassains Creed games shortly after launch... and they're still there.

For what it's worth.  I buy most of my games used.  Or i used to... the Wii kinda changed that. 

Still i'll be buying most of my PS3 games used.

Final-Fan said:
Ail said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Ail said:
Easy, only ship 90% of the game on the DVD and require the user to download the last 10% !

I should patent this !

Umm....I think there might be some sort of backlash and/or legal action against a company who sold a big game, that didn't work unless it was brand new, lol.

You know gamestop employees play all the new games? They are just required to return it "looking new" or they have to pay for it.

It would also destroy gamespot, gamefly, and the gaming economy in general would be taking in far less money. Less people would actually buy these games.

Right now, the industry just isn't equipped for such broad ranging change, in order to make more money than they already do. Nintendo, for instance, will never, ever do something like that, lol. They barely even lower the price of their games, and they still sell forever.

It would be the equivelant of....if your DVDs would only play on your DVD player. It might be something people like us understand the reasoning behind, but it just wouldn't be accepted by a wide audience.

As for your suggestion, I assume you mean, you need a 1 time download code in order to DL the last 10 percent. If not, then it wouldn't address the problem whatsoever.

You assume right.

You could make it so that the same person could get the download several times in case they change gaming hardware ( make them register and stuff using the download code on the game box..)

For gamefly you could fix it by making rent only versions of the game (the same thing they do for movies, you can't resell those copies). It would be in favor of both publishers and gamefly. Publishers would get their cut each time a movie in rented, gamefly wouldn't have to sell used copies of their game to balance their budget (I somewhat doubt they do more than break even just on renting revenue...)

PS : Gamestop letting its employee play games and selling them as new is clearly not a practice that  is in the benefit of either the customer or the publisher so it's not really something I want to see in the future anyway......

Then why do I see Blockbuster selling tons of used copies of popular DVDs (i.e. the ones that Blockbuster would need to have many copies of until it got old)? 

Also, how does depriving gamefly of a source of revenue (used game sales) help it?  I think I'm just not understanding your model here because I also don't understand how publishers would get a cut EVERY time it's rented.  Are you suggesting publishers would give these to gamefly for free and get their money back on rentals?  So in essence the publishers would be contracting out rental services to gamefly? 

P.S.  Did you know Gamestop also sells its opened "floor model" games as new also?  This is not something I believe normal retailers do.

Don't DVD you rent start with a message telling you they are a rental copy that can not be resold ? ( i know that was the case for VHS, maybe it's different for DVD lol, I never payed attention).

I'm pretty sure used DVD don't...

Don't studio get a cut each time a movie is rented ? I figure they did seeing how every week we get reports of rental revenue and that revenue is usually added to the movie total revenue...

So yeah in essence gamefly would get games for free and make money each time a game is rented, same for the publishers. No risk of buying too many games and noone wanting to rent them for gamefly, and publisher get a cut per rental so they don't loose on revenue either...

Get that kind of rental model working and make it a lot more popular and people won't need to buy used games...

That's the way it works for TV and radio. Each time a movie is shown or a song put on the radio the studio get a sum of money...

Heck what i suggest for rentals is exactly the way professional software works except there is no intermediary.

Business rent their software and pays fees on a regular interval if they want to keep using it...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
Final-Fan said:
Ail said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Ail said:

I should patent this !

You assume right.

Don't DVD you rent start with a message telling you they are a rental copy that can not be resold ? ( i know that was the case for VHS, maybe it's different for DVD lol, I never payed attention).

Don't studio get a cut each time a movie is rented ? I figure they did seeing how every week we get reports of rental revenue and that revenue is usually added to the movie total revenue...

So yeah in essence gamefly would get games for free and make money each time a game is rented, same for the publishers. No risk of buying too many games and noone wanting to rent them for gamefly, and publisher get a cut per rental so they don't loose on revenue either...

Get that kind of rental model working and make it a lot more popular and people won't need to buy used games...

That's the way it works for TV and radio. Each time a movie is shown or a song put on the radio the studio get a sum of money...

No rental copies just cost more per DVD.  They take the extra rental money out front.

Like something that costs $40 bucks would cost like... $200.

Also studios don't get paid when their songs are played on the Radio.  At least in the US.  There was a big thing where they wanted to change that in the US claiming they had to due to piracy ruining their profits.

Amazingly for once the fear mongering didn't work.  Or maybe it was only for college radio stations.  Not sure.

I'm not sure what I think about this. On the one hand, I don't like GameStop because those used copies do nothing to support the developers or publishers. On the other hand, I understand that not everyone can afford new games and people don't want to hold on to their old games forever.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Ail said:

Edit: I may be wrong about what I said.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.