By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - European Userbases

Does anyone have January numbers for 360 and Wii in Europe in 2007? I'd like to have some idea about how many Wii's and 360's will be sold across Europe before Sony launches. A 360 lead of 3.0 million seems insurmountable in Europe for at least the end of 2007, and I suspect the Wii will outsell PS3 after launch (as it has done in Amercia in January and Japan througout).

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Well use the numbers on the front page - 3.29m for Xbox360 and 1.38m for Wii...

I see those numbers, but my concern is this: 360 sold around 2.3 million in 2005-2006 combined in Europe. I can see it selling 200-300k per month in 2007 in Europe for Jan-Feb. But that would put it at 2.9 million max. Ths could be reconciled by the Indian market where the 360 has been released as well, but I don't know if any data exists for that. Wii sold a bit over 800,000 units in Europe in 2006. That would indicate an average of 250-300k sold in Jan-February. However, this would also mean that Nintendo produced 400k (adjusting for the 4 non January days in NPD Jan data) for the Americas, 450k for Japan, and 250k for Europe. Was Nintendo really producing well over 1 million Wii's in January? My impression was that was starting for March. It is certaintly possible though. Is an expectation of 1.5-1.75 European Wii's and 3.3-3.6 360's realistic for the time PS3 comes out in March?

- Lao Tzu

Wii has already hit 1,5 mil in Europe, so i guess its more likely gonna hit 2 mil before the PS3 hits European shelves. And i can tell u (live in Holland, Europe)... 5 of my highschool classmates own a Wii. Only 1 person was gonna buy a PS3, but i convinced him not too. And now he has got an X360 because of the bigger choice of games and he is gonna buy a Wii within the coming months!... So my guess is, because 14-22 year olds are Sony's biggest userbase. PS3 isn't going to be as much as a succes as the PS1 and the PS2 were. Even though that doesn't mean it won't sell...

THE NETHERLANDS

Can you source your numbers Starcraft? I was under the impression European tracking data was like NPD, and that to account for it, it essentially had to be leaked.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Yup, I know the 360 has sold about 100k-130k in Australia already (it always seems like MS's *strongest* market in the world). I think that is 'cos we get screwed by the other consoles - delays, extra costs, etc. MS brings stuff here earlier, if not on time with other countries. That said - Nintendo have improved greatly over the last couple of years - in terms of hardware/software delays anyway.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099