By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sold 16.84 million PS3 units worldwide

PlayStation 3 Nears 17 Million Units Sold Worldwide; Sony Profits Dip 90%, Gaming Up Over Last Year

Since its 2006 debut, the PlayStation 3 has sold 16.84 million units worldwide, according to new financial documents released by Sony.

During the second quarter of Sony's 2008 fiscal year, which ended on September 30, 2.43 million PS3s were sold, adding to the 14.41 million that had been sold as of June 30, 2008.

In all, Sony expects to sell 10 million PlayStation 3 units during this fiscal year, which ends on March 31, 2009. To reach that goal, Sony will have to sell 6.01 million PS3s across the next two quarters, one of which covers the lucrative Christmas season.

Lifetime worldwide figures for the PlayStation 2 and PSP hardware are not available, as 2007 was the first fiscal year that Sony declared sales, not shipment numbers.

As of July 30, Nintendo's Wii had sold 29.6 million units worldwide. Microsoft has not provided worldwide sales figures on the Xbox 360 since March of this year, when the console was at 19 million worldwide.

In line with the lowered expectations, Sony's operating income for the quarter was down 90.1% over the last year's Q2 results--11 billion yen vs. 111.6 billion yen--though revenue was only down by 0.5%--2.07 trillion yen vs. 2.08 trillion yen.

However, Sony was quick to point out that its sales would actually be up 5%, and operating income would only be down 79%, were it not for the change in exchange rates.

Despite the bleak outlook, Sony's Game division is up over this time last year, bringing in 268.5 million yen--a 10.3% jump that would have been 15% if not for exchange rates.

Likewise, the Game division saw its operating losses reduced by almost 60%. While 39.5 billion yen was lost in Q2 FY08, Q2 FY07 saw a loss of 96.7 billion yen.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55626

Around the Network

so you are saying that vgchartz is ~600k off in sales?

people this data is till September 30

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Vgchartz does like to undertrack the PS3, might be worth a look in.

kirby007 said:

This^^

Around the Network
kirby007 said:

The report is from 29th october

hey headhunter, welcome to VGChartz.

I'm guessing (correct me if I'm wrong) that you're of the opinion that VGChartz is undertracking the PS3 by a bit?

the 16.84 million figure quoted by Sony is how many PS3's have left the factory to go to a retailer

The 16.22 figure on the VGchartz homepage is how many consoles have been sold by these retailers to customers. It's generally accepted that there can be a discrepancy of up to 1 million units between these figures in normal conditions - inventory sitting in trucks, warehouses or on shelves

That's what it sounds like..and the exchange rate thing is a moot point - sitting here saying 'what if..' or 'if only..' means nothing. Things happened, this is the result. Regardless of what happened, if you made this amount, you made this amount..exchange rates change all the time, that's no excuse IMO.

It's also good to see the gaming division is cleaning up its expenses. Next year I expect it to turn a profit, and they'll never look back after.

Hmm maybe ps3 sold more.

headhunterz67 said:
kirby007 said:

The report is from 29th october

true BUT :

During the second quarter of Sony's 2008 fiscal year, which ended on September 30, 2.43 million PS3s were sold, adding to the 14.41 million that had been sold as of June 30, 2008.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.