By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony quarterly profits dive 72%....

I've been saying this was coming for a while...

" Sony's second-quarter profits have plunged 72 percent with a surging yen wiping out the benefits of solid flat-panel TV and PlayStation 3 game machine sales.

The Japanese electronics and entertainment company reported Wednesday net profit of $214 million for the period from July through September, down 71.8 percent from the previous year.

Revenue from Sony's hit movie "Hancock" wasn't enough to offset the hammering the maker of the Walkman portable player is taking from the strong yen.

A rising yen erodes the value of overseas profits for Japanese exporters like Sony."

It's going to be interesting to look at the numbers...Sony made about 20 million more than M$ EDD, so that's a bright side....I guess.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/BUSINESS/10/29/japan.earnings.ap/index.html

This holiday season is going to be VERY ugly for Sony, but maybe they will do a price cut to help sales get boosted.  I'm sure the extra cost of those bundles for LBP, and others won't hurt sales...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

though the gaming arm still lost 39.5 billion yen

http://kotaku.com/5070267/ps3-making-money-psp-sales-up-ps2-outselling-ps3
on the bright side more revenue and less of a loss then last time. though i disagree with kotaku statement of the ps3 making money right now, if that was true there would not be a loss in the department ...though if they were saying its bringing in more revenue than last year at this time that is true, just not profit. the bright side is its getting very close to the point in a consoles install base where small hardware losses can be made up in software sales look for that next spring... so 2nd quarter

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

'Tis the problem of having a business built on luxury items in today's current financial market. Different departments will be profitable or not. I mean, MGM and Columbia are about to make some money with the release of James Bond next week, that will make a profit.

Hmm, pie.

heruamon said:

I've been saying this was coming for a while...

" Sony's second-quarter profits have plunged 72 percent with a surging yen wiping out the benefits of solid flat-panel TV and PlayStation 3 game machine sales.

The Japanese electronics and entertainment company reported Wednesday net profit of $214 million for the period from July through September, down 71.8 percent from the previous year.

Revenue from Sony's hit movie "Hancock" wasn't enough to offset the hammering the maker of the Walkman portable player is taking from the strong yen. from the IPOD, creative zen, zune  and possibly every other mp3 player out there.

A rising yen erodes the value of overseas profits for Japanese exporters like Sony."

It's going to be interesting to look at the numbers...Sony made about 20 million more than M$ EDD, so that's a bright side....I guess.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/BUSINESS/10/29/japan.earnings.ap/index.html

This holiday season is going to be VERY ugly for Sony, but maybe they will do a price cut to help sales get boosted.  I'm sure the extra cost of those bundles for LBP, and others won't hurt sales...

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Too early to tell but signs arent great.

The thing I am watching is how good PS3 can shoulder the declining PS2 and PSP software sales and you can see the software sales are falling. ~10m units more PS3 software were sold this quarter but PS2/PSP software dropped by ~16m units.

Around the Network

So what!, who cares?

Hullabaloo said:
So what!, who cares?

well its this kind of information that can help with price cut speculation, cost of console to make, shipments, and as the companies health as a whole goes, what they will spend developing if they can afford to keep lots of studios on, that kinda thing 

on top of this sony as a company made about the same amount of money that microsofts game arm made, that is not good though, next quarter will be far more telling on sonys health. 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Hullabaloo said:
So what!, who cares?

Evidently you, since you opened the forum, then posted in it.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Hullabaloo said:
So what!, who cares?

If these numbers weren't important to you why did sign up to this website?

Aparently you care.

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

According to what was on CNN while I was watching it, the drop in forecast profits is largely based on the strengthening Yen
I don't know just how much of that is the stronger Yen and how much is other reasons though lol

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/business/2008/10/24/lah.japan.sony.cnn?iref=videosearch

Proud Sony Rear Admiral