By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto reactions to bad Reviews on Wii Music

Don't use Wikipedia for that sorta thing.

Miyamoto was not the primary creative force behind a huge chunk of games he produced. Shigesato Itoi was behind Mother, Dennis Dyack was behind Eternal Darkness (DYACK...! *shakes fist*), RARE made Killer Instinct, Sakurai is behind Smash Bros.... The list goes on.

Around the Network

Well, even that varies from game to game. Miyamoto did work with Dyack a fair bit when Eternal Darkness was made (I think), but Itoi is an auteur who writes every single word of every single game in Mother himself...

That isn't downplaying him at all, because he influenced many, many of those games that he was merely the producer on. It's just those two and Killer Instinct that really caught my eye

axumblade said:
Everstar said:
is this guy an idiot he says right here he thought wii music was hardcore?
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=46810

Wow. Are you really insinuating that the great mind behind Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Starfox, Donkey Kong, Ice Climbers, Mother, Mario Kart, Mario Paint, Wave Race, Yoshi, Kirby, Killer Instinct, F-Zero, Super Smash Bros, Pikmin, Eternal Darkness, Nintendogs, Wii Sports, Metroid Prime, and Wii Fit is an idiot?

(thank you wikipedia for filling in the blanks for me).

Is that the same Miyamoto that you're talking about? The one whose Mario franchise alone has outsold all software for the 360 combined? Is that the one you're talking about? I'm just asking.

Wii Music was made to be a creative outlet. Despite the fact that it's not my cup of tea, I don't really have anything objectionable about the game. And why should i? Not everybody has an insatiable need to tear aliens up with a chainsaw and then use them as a meat shield. This game was created for families, children, and is all around just a good-natured game. Also his statement, which you seem to like to ignore when people are honest with you about situations has already been addressed so I don't feel a need to correct you.

Another thing, he's been creating video games since before you were born. Hell, since before I was born. Even if he were to come out and say "yeah. Wii Music was a mistake," which he won't because it wasn't, I'm pretty sure his resume definitely constitutes that he is not an "Idiot." So to answer your "question," no. He is not an idiot.

Nice post. Refreshing to find somebody mature enough to respect Wii Music despite not being personally interested in the game.

@ Khuutra

It's true that Miyamoto gets too much creative credit for a lot of the projects he works on, but he does provide valuable creative input to every project he works on. I know you didn't say otherwise, but I just wanted to clarify this fact.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:

@ Khuutra

It's true that Miyamoto gets too much creative credit for a lot of the projects he works on, but he does provide valuable creative input to every project he works on. I know you didn't say otherwise, but I just wanted to clarify this fact.

I will acknowledge the Hell out of that. A lot of his design philosophy went into Eternal Darkness, and it shows when you compare the game to how Too Human turned out.

By no means do I mean to downplay Miyamoto in any way - it's like my brother and I say to each other:

Picking the top 10 developers of all time is very hard.

Picking the top 5 is unfair.

Picking the top 3 is almost impossible.

Picking number 1, though, is as easy as it gets.

perpride said:

1 - If you want to speak about the subjectivity of art, then again, any piece of shit game can be called the best game of all time. I agree with you that art (music, games, whatever) is extremely down to the individual; but does this mean that we should have no way of actually measuring whether a game is good or not? Sales cannot be what you base your decision on. Wii Music will likely go on to sell more units than Gears of War, MGS4, Uncharted, Lost Oddyssey, Mass Effect....you name it! This does not mean it is a beter game.

2 - Agreed, but we are talking about video games...an art that is not even a century old yet. Wii Music will sell insane amounts simply because of the context in which it is being released. Like I said, add the name "Wii" to any game and it will sell millions. "WiiNinjabread" would have been a million seller had it not been a crappy port of a PS2 game. Wii music will not last this "test of time" we are talking about. You think we will look back at it in ten years and remember it as a classic? Screw ten years from now, my eyes tear up from sadness when I look at this game today! So much wasted potential! If you want to examine video games as an art form, what the "masses" support should have absolutley no bearing on how good a game actually is.

3 - How, in any way, could you call the people that are reviewing this game elite?

I own a Wii, and I know there is absolutley no fucking way in hell I will ever buy this title. There are so many other places Nintendo could have been focusing their time instead of developing this. They really know how to stick it to their loyal fans.

1. Measuring, no. Discussion and debate, very much so. To measure something you need a well made system to count whatever you're measuring, and there's so many people with so many different opinions on things like this, that any complex system you implement probably won't accommodate a lot of people. Judging from your most wanted games in your sig, you line of thinking is in-line enough with the current gaming media where their scale is at least somewhat helpful to you. It's not very helpful to someone like me whose interest in traditional gaming is lingering in recent days, and for entirely new gamers that started with the Wii Series (an obvious part of Wii Music's target audience), it's useless.

Critics should help people better understand things with thoughtful and thorough analysis, to better enable their audiences to make informed decisions for themselves. Not to make the actual decisions for their audience.

2. No one is arguing sales are a statement of quality, and I was arguing that people ultimately decides what'll be remembered. It's just as a likely something sells well, but isn't remembered particularly fondly, and goes forgotten. (Numerous Hollywood blockbusters would come to mind if I could remember any =P) And neither you nor I know what if anything will stand the test of time. Your eyes tear up with sadness at wasted potential, mine light with the idea of unlocking my own potential. You're not the world; I'm not the world. If you were to examine video games as an art form, and exclude the masses feelings, then examination is only to benefit yourself and the people similar to you, a big reason I don't like many critics.

3. I call them elite in that game reviewers do have a position of (petty) power in that their opinions carry more weight with many people, and they're given access to games before paying customers like us because they're valued as somehow being better judges of what makes good games. Entitled might have been a better word. I don't see them as elite in the sense they're any better at their job then any other random dolt on the internet. =P

Ultimately, it sounds like you're just mad that this is Nintendo's major release this Christmas season, and not something you wanted. (much like tuoyo really) But I think it would help if you realized that your feelings aren't everyone else's feelings and shouldn't expect them to be. Nintendo is a big company and can afford to produce sequels to games you like, and new kinds of games, for new players. In less then two years there have already been sequels for Mario, Metriod Prime, Smash Bros, Zelda Wario Land, Battalion Wars, Paper Mario, and Fire Emblem on the Wii alone. They’ll likely have more games for you next year as well. You’re certainly free to hate Wii Music all you like, that’s your right. Just don’t expect that feeling to be that law on how other people feel about this game.

Around the Network

i like your quote khuutra. very nice
you mean sid meier right?
I mean, will wright?
Tim Stamper?
Ohhhh, miyamoto... soo desu neeeee

I dont think he cares... sales will be huge anyways so of course he smileys :))

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

well, i like the game, but i wont buy it.

MY ZELDA COLLECTION
Everstar said:
Naum said:
he isn't saying that Wii music is a hardcore game.

atleast try and acutally read what he is saying..

That said, Miyamoto believes that Wii Music will prove as time-intensive as any other offering. "I think you'll find people who are as hardcore playing Wii Music as any other game," he said. "I have found that, as a single player, you can spend over three hours arranging a single song. Since there's 50 songs, simple math tells you that you can spend 150 hours playing it--and that's just by yourself. I am actually getting concerned about how much I'm playing it!"

He says right there that hardcore gamers will be playing it as much as any other game dose that not mean he thinks its hardcore?

When you come to accept that there is no such thing as a "hardcore game," and there are only gamers (or more generically, persons) who play games in a hardcore way, you will be much happier and not make such comments that really make no sense. You automatically assume  that when a game is played in a "hardcore" fashion, then that game is automatically "hardcore." I prefer the term "dedicated gamer" over "hardcore" and I wrote an article about how we need to redefine the terms we use to describe games and gamers, but I haven't gotten around to typing it up.

Wii Music is awesome.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"