By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What if Nintendo focused on hardcore gaming?

If Ninty focused on 'hardcore' gaming, they'd have lost millions like the 360 and the PS3 did.

Wii has more 20 million sellers than PS3 has 5 million sellers.

Acolyte of Disruption

Around the Network

What if Nintendo focuses on hardcore?

Well, I can't speak for other people (frankly, no one person can), but for me, I'd be a Nintendo owner again. I was a Gamecube owner.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
thekitchensink said:
intenExblackman said:
FishyJoe said:

Has anyone who has criticized Nintendo for not vigorously pursuing the hardcore gaming audience stopped to think what would happen if they actually did that?

Maybe it would make certain fanboyss happier, but it would also further sub-divide the market creating less opportunity for the PS3 and 360. Is this what people really want? Three systems all competing for the same limited audience? That seems like a recipe for financial disaster.

True, but it wouldn't hurt them to buy some western developers to make more western friendly games.The best business plan is to attack both sides equally to futher improve profits and set your self up in the next generation as the market share winner in the blue ocean market and at a respectable position in the red ocean market as well.

Nintendo doesn't have the billions of excess cash that Sony and Microsoft do.  Yes, they've made a couple of billion on the Wii and DS, but that isn't money they can just toss around willy-nilly.  It's not like they've bought a ton of Japanese developers, either--the only one I can think of is Monolith Soft, and that's more of a controlling share than a buyout.

Two things I find wrong with your response, first alot of companies in japan that make second party games for nintendo  are partaially or owned buy nintendo.Brownie Brown-makers of Mother 3 ,alpha Dream- makers of Mario and Luigi,Noise makers of Custom Robo,NDCube-makers of F-zero maximum velocity,Hal Laboratory-makers of Smash Brothers and Kirby and others are companies eitherfully owned or partially owned by Ninitendo.

Second problem , this is just probably a misunderstanding between us but you don't need billions to buy controlling shares in small companies, I say for some companies 100 million would be enough to buy 50-60%  of shares of most small companies.Nintendo only owns two western based developers companies , adding one or two more wouldn't cost more than 300 million.

I love fighting games !!! Come on challenge me !

If they focused on the hardcore, I'd happily own an HD Wii with a traditional controller, playing a new Earthbound!

It's all about the game.

I dk, Ask the people that benefit the most, your parents, girlfriend, wife, daughter, etc.

I might not agree with it all but it's obvious video games would be boring shit without nintendogs, brain train, wii fit, etc. This is a company that innovates while others stay the same.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

I don't want Nintendo to be focused on either one... It's a gaming system, not an exclusive party system, or an exclusive hardcore system, and i definitely don't want ever again to see that crazy-ugly-Sarah-Palin-wannabe on any Nintendo keynote (No disrespect to women, they can promote like hell, only this one was completely out of her league); Next press conferences, i want people that can promote all kinds of games (casual, hardcore, softcore, etc.), not showing their son's messages and doing pep talks for the boss...

You mean what would happen if they focused more on hardcore gaming. The console would basically be the PS2. It had tons of games for every crowd, and that's why it sold a load of consoles.

FishyJoe said:

Has anyone who has criticized Nintendo for not vigorously pursuing the hardcore gaming audience stopped to think what would happen if they actually did that?

Maybe it would make certain fanboyss happier, but it would also further sub-divide the market creating less opportunity for the PS3 and 360. Is this what people really want? Three systems all competing for the same limited audience? That seems like a recipe for financial disaster.

it went well last generation

and it was the best generation ever in my opinion, the wii its getting too much shovelware VS quality titles.

thats the main problem, even nintendo is releasing their share (nintendogs, wii music)... but thats its because they loaded all their big games fast,

brawl, kart and galaxy.

great they are bringing "new" gamers and making money but "hardcore" even their own core are getting tons of games from the ps3 and 360 side.

i bought the gamecube and the ps2 each gaming games, used gc for multiplayer ps2 for my single and exotic JRPGS and both got games that stand out.

other problem its the third party, the main problem the wii hardware its too weak to handle games ps360 has... if nintendo really wanted  they could made the wii abit more powerful so it could handle port of 360 games.

tonned down but with the huge market share it would get them like the ps2 did.

they simply step aside and decided it was a better idea to make profits than getting the third party main games.

Jo21 said:
FishyJoe said:

it went well last generation

and it was the best generation ever in my opinion, the wii its getting too much shovelware VS quality titles.

thats the main problem, even nintendo is releasing their share (nintendogs, wii music)... but thats its because they loaded all their big games fast,

brawl, kart and galaxy.

great they are bringing "new" gamers and making money but "hardcore" even their own core are getting tons of games from the ps3 and 360 side.

i bought the gamecube and the ps2 each gaming games, used gc for multiplayer ps2 for my single and exotic JRPGS and both got games that stand out.

Wow, even games with an 85% on gamerankings are shovelware, now!  The bar has been set WAY too high!

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Fanboys put way too much stock in their own wallets. If pandering to the "hardcore" was worth a good god damn then Nintendo would be struggling now and PS360 would be kicking the **** out of them. That's not reality, though.

Nintendo is much better off doing their own thing, and getting hits with the hardcore audience when they do and enjoying their millions when they don't.

You do not have the right to never be offended.