By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's First-Quarter Profit Rises Fivefold on Wii, DS Sales

shams said:
OriGin said:
Interestingly Nintendo have raised their Wii Forecast from 22m at the end of Mar 2008 to 25m.

You sure?

16.5m shipped for the FY + 5.84m (sold until end of March '07) = 22m

I can't see how it can be 25m?

If it is only 22 million then my numbers in this thread are pretty spot on. Here is a requote of them so you don't have to dig since I know you're just so interested.

"July, Aug, Sept, Oct will average at around 1,035,000 each month.
Nov will be about 1,700,000.
Dec Will be About 3,200,000. (Look at the DS last year with 5,432,076 WW in Dec)

Calender year end total of 18,090,000.

Then Jan, Feb, March '08 average monthly sales of 1,125,000.

Fiscal year end total of 21,465,000."

The exact monthly totals are likely going to be a bit off but that FY total could be pretty close if not low.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

Gah... I hope I didn't look at the wrong numbers.... let me check

Wow. 668 million bucks in one quarter?

Raised expectations for Wii and DS are not unexpected.

They must have a plan for Wii production if they're boldly raising expectations by 2.5 million.

And it appears VGC was pretty spot-on with both Wii and DS numbers. If anything, ioi slightly undertracked.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

DS hardware went from 22m to 26m...

I'll have to check, but I think 22m is spot on my prediction as well (17-18m at 1st Jan '08).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I still think it seems to be 25mil can someone else look at the second last and last page and do some calculations I might be doing it wrong but I still get 25 mil.

Around the Network

Are you adding the 9.whatever to the 16.5? That would get you 25.something.

The 16.5 includes the 3.whatever shipped from April-June. 16.5 + 5.84 shipped from launch through March = 22.something.

I didn't realize I alternated between "whatever" and "something" until I reread my post...

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

They most likely count in-transit units and those sitting in warehouses ready to ship in that figure. It doesn't really matter, they will sell most of it so it's safe to say that the Wii is more than 9.27++(around 9.5M, possibly?) million now.

Of course, they could be stockpiling them now for the upcoming holidays.  

This far through a thread about Nintendo breaking records without 'it prints money'?

This situation must be remedied.

Anyway, investors will be really really happy right now. The Nintendo stock must be through the roof. 

ioi said:

Nice correlation again with our data:

WiiJapanAmericasOthersTotal
VGC2.913.582.368.85
Nintendo2.953.812.519.27
VGC %99%94%94%95%

It seems that either we have been undertracking slightly in America / Europe or that Nintendo or retailers are holding units back for game launches and so on. I'd suspect a bit of both and our figures should be adjusted up by a couple of percent (more to how our figures were before NPD / Chart Track / GFK released theirs and we decided to scale down a little). Will hopefully silence some more naysayers though.

Ioi, I do know of stores in the Netherlands which received big Wii shipments around the end of June / beginning of July. (haven't seen any Wiis in store before this happening btw.) I don't know if this also holds for other countries in Europe, but it could also mean Nintendo shipped some extra Wiis to Europe at the end of their fiscal quarter

shams said:

Wow!

(Waiting for Kwaad to join in and say something positive about Nintendo...)

Hope you have a lot of free time on your hands

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)