By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The potential reason why the Wii might surpass PS2 sales numbers of 100 million

HappySquirrel, I do think demographics, while not entirely accurate, still give companies an idea of who they should go for, what they should sell these people, and how they will go about selling it. That's my point. Your point about "For the most part every console manufacturer is happy to have support from anyone." is true. A sale is a sale! But you cannot devise an effective marketing strategy based on "we want everyone's money!" That's why there is this thing called market segmentation. Look at it another way: You manufacture dildos, like ranzchic's blender-thingy. Most people that buy dildos would (probably) be female. You then develop your marketing strategy around this fact. However, some men with their backdoors open may buy one themselves. Of course, you as the manufacturer make a sale anyway, and everyone's happy. However, those are residual sales. Another example are cars. I bet you that Ferrari and Fiat look at their demographics very differently. Keep in mind that Nintendo isn't even going after the same people Microsoft and Sony are.

Around the Network

ranzchic said: diamuerto said: DIAR said: Wii has chosen to target parents and chicks, They have made it clear men are no longer of any value to them. Just what kind of "men" are you talking about. They have about 6 games that will be rated from mature to adult coming out soon. Of course I didn't know you needed to be a "man" to play those games. Just because they are targeting others, doesn't mean they will abandon the hardcore gamer market. Your comment about sticking to SNES games also disrupts your whole man concept, as there aren't many manly games for SNES. The 360 and the PS3 are both targeting about a third of men aged 18-35 who loves "Mature" games that aren't exactly mature. Nintendo is after the other two-thirds with actual mature games with actual mature content like Brain Age.
Ah yes, the venerable teenagers who love to think excessive violence makes a game mature, despite the fact that it just makes a game bloody.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

your mother said: That's why there is this thing called market segmentation. Look at it another way: You manufacture dildos, like ranzchic's blender-thingy. Most people that buy dildos would (probably) be female. You then develop your marketing strategy around this fact. However, some men with their backdoors open may buy one themselves. Of course, you as the manufacturer make a sale anyway, and everyone's happy. However, those are residual sales.
LOL, it's Dora the Explorer!!! My little sisters used to watch that show. Holy crap I just realized the connection with the name of the show. It's so wrong, but very funny.

diamuerto said: LOL, it's Dora the Explorer!!! My little sisters used to watch that show. Holy crap I just realized the connection with the name of the show. It's so wrong, but very funny.
Huh? From potential dildo sales to Dora? You have completely lost me there! Edit: Never mind, it's Dora on the blender! Hope she enjoys her shake...

diamuerto said: your mother said: That's why there is this thing called market segmentation. Look at it another way: You manufacture dildos, like ranzchic's blender-thingy. Most people that buy dildos would (probably) be female. You then develop your marketing strategy around this fact. However, some men with their backdoors open may buy one themselves. Of course, you as the manufacturer make a sale anyway, and everyone's happy. However, those are residual sales. LOL, it's Dora the Explorer!!! My little sisters used to watch that show. Holy crap I just realized the connection with the name of the show. It's so wrong, but very funny.
It's actually not a dildo. It's an actual child's toy. They even have the Sponge bob version. Don't believe me? Check out www.myaquapet.com . It's a sick joke but the difference is it's real. And for the record, dildo buyers are probably evenly split between men and women.
your mother said: Keep in mind that Nintendo isn't even going after the same people Microsoft and Sony are.
Actually, they are. They are after everyone. They are just focusing on the casuals and the non-gamers right now to build an install base. The hardcores will come later(Super Smash Bro Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3) so don't feel safe just yet.

Around the Network

Yeah, I got confused because your mother said dildo thingy. I'm sure they do have something like that though.

Dildo dildo dildo dildo dildo dildo Dildo dildo dildo dildo dildo dildo Dildo dildo dildo dildo dildo dildo It's such a weird name for an object.

The more you say it, the more it looks like one. Dora the xxxplorer.

ranzchic said: It's actually not a dildo. It's an actual child's toy. They even have the Sponge bob version. Don't believe me? Check out www.myaquapet.com . It's a sick joke but the difference is it's real.
Oh, I believe you, but you have to admit it looks awfully similar to a man's... thing!
And for the record, dildo buyers are probably evenly split between men and women.
Don't really doubt that either - most women I know don't go near sex shops, so who ends up buying?
your mother said: Keep in mind that Nintendo isn't even going after the same people Microsoft and Sony are. Actually, they are. They are after everyone. They are just focusing on the casuals and the non-gamers right now to build an install base. The hardcores will come later(Super Smash Bro Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3) so don't feel safe just yet.
Well, everyone is after everyone (fl0w, Viva Piniata), but even with something so trivial as toilet paper you have companies working on their positioning. But you're right - Nintendo wants to embrace the world, to become the Toyotas of consoles! And don't feel safe yet? What do you mean?

I don't really equate nominal attempts at attracting casual/nongamers using flOw and Viva Pinata to Nintendo's attempt to buying the hardcores via its flagship titles. It's Super Mario Galaxy ferrchrissake! Should I even mention SSBB?? I put those two at the same level as Halo 3, FFXIII and GTA4 in terms of moving systems. (SSB Melee sold 6 million copies on the Gamecube, and Super Mario Galaxy is a true Super Mario Bro sequel) Viva Pinata and flOw are no Wii Sports and waggle either.