By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The potential reason why the Wii might surpass PS2 sales numbers of 100 million

ranzchic said: http://kotaku.com/gaming/kotaku-magu/kotaku-magu-teen-vogues-wii-we-oui-239523.php A gaming console on a superficial magazine, who would've thought? Nintendo is now actively targeting the whole of humanity with the Wii while the 360 and the PS3 is stuck marketing to just one half of it. There is a great chance that women will decide this generation 's console, me thinks, the same way they decided the current handheld war.
Me thinks you are a chick pretending to be a man. Wii has chosen to target parents and chicks, They have made it clear men are no longer of any value to them.

Around the Network

DIAR said:Me thinks you are a chick pretending to be a man. Wii has chosen to target parents and chicks, They have made it clear men are no longer of any value to them.
ranzchic I dont know if pretending is the right word. kinda says it there dude. Secondly. I agree. the Wii seems to have aimed themselves highly at people under 10. Parents on a budget, and girls.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said: DIAR said:Me thinks you are a chick pretending to be a man. Wii has chosen to target parents and chicks, They have made it clear men are no longer of any value to them. ranzchic I dont know if pretending is the right word. kinda says it there dude. Secondly. I agree. the Wii seems to have aimed themselves highly at people under 10. Parents on a budget, and girls.
That is partly why I have no interest in it right now. As for people under 10 and parents on a budget, that is my sister right there. My sister has a 7 year old son and neither of them want a Wii and would rather have a PS3 no matter the cost. Me? I would rather get a 360 for the games I posted earlier, But still don't plan on buying one as I am fine playing my classic SNES games.

Stromprophet said: I don't think it will. PS1 and PS2 were incredible selling machines, just ridiculous the sales they achieved. Wii lacks the developer support to get there, something both the PS1 and PS2 had.
See, the PS2 and the PSone sold to the hardcores and the casuals. The casuals made the bulk of all that sales. But the Wii, the Wii is targeting the hardcores(a small number of 18-35 males), the casuals(a sizeable number of 18-35 males, some women) AND the nongamers(18-35 males, women, girls, old people and moms). The Nongamers are even bigger than the casuals. And they don't care about megahertz, shaders, polygons and all that geekery jargon.
Wii lacks the developer support to get there, something both the PS1 and PS2 had.
This statement is wrong on so many levels but its kinda moot anyway. I expect the Brain Training-like system seller to come from Nintendo itself. Watch out for Wii Music and Wii Health Pack.
GTA is never going to be on the Wii, RE will never be on the Wii, Assassins Creed, Unreal Tournament. And the list goes on, it simply doesn't have the horsepower for a lot of top selling games that are going to completely skip the Wii system all together.
Wii Sports. It should be enough to tide Nintendo over the summer together with Super Paper Mario. I would even go as far and say that Wii Sports alone is enough to give Nintendo the win this year.

Kwaad said: DIAR said:Me thinks you are a chick pretending to be a man. Wii has chosen to target parents and chicks, They have made it clear men are no longer of any value to them. ranzchic I dont know if pretending is the right word. kinda says it there dude. Secondly. I agree. the Wii seems to have aimed themselves highly at people under 10. Parents on a budget, and girls.
What. Are you confusing me with DIAR?

Around the Network

Stromprophet said: I don't think it will. PS1 and PS2 were incredible selling machines, just ridiculous the sales they achieved. Wii lacks the developer support to get there, something both the PS1 and PS2 had. Think about it. GTA is never going to be on the Wii, RE will never be on the Wii, Assassins Creed, Unreal Tournament. And the list goes on, it simply doesn't have the horsepower for a lot of top selling games that are going to completely skip the Wii system all together. Based on 2 full months of sales we reach this conclusion??
Sorry - I don't agree. The Wii is going to get MORE 3rd party support than any other console. Its basically unique, development is easy, porting a PS2/current-gen title is easy, etc. You'll be surprised - I wouldn't be surprised to see GTA (the last 3) on the Wii. If they come out on the PS2 - why not? Manhunt II is coming out? RE is coming out. Shooters - who knows. If a company manages to bring *any* classic shooter to the Wii successfully (i.e. Quake), you'll see a mass movement as all of them come to it. As publishers are realising, the Wii is an *easy* way for them to increase their revenue. Virtually every major publisher has stated that they are increasing their Wii (and DS) support. EA, Sega, Activision, THQ, Take2/Rockstar, etc. Ubisoft is already there. What the Wii won't have is as many "cutting-edge", high tech, high budget titles (exclusive or other). Eventually the Wii will take the place of the PS2 (in terms of development budgets), and teams will be shifted over to it. Its also going to have the highest "casual" gaming audience - the most games (VC), lowest entry barriers for new gamers (lowest cost, easier controller), etc. I agree that its too early to be making predictions - but that is exactly what this thread is about anyway - predictions ;)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I think it's all about market share. So what if Nintendo's Wii is targeted at the "non-gamer" segment, namely women, young boys and the elderly? Last time I checked, these "non-gamers" comprised a healty percentage of the global population. Let's, for the sake of argument, say the following: Nintendo's target demographic: males and females between 10-15, females from 15-35, and elders aged 45 on up. Sony's target demographic: males between 15-45, females between 15-35 Microsoft's target demographic: males and females between 15-35 We can tweak the demographics around no problem. The main thing, however, is how Nintendo isn't going up against Sony and Microsoft at all (ok, so Sony and Microsoft make some family/kiddie games as well; Nintendo also has seriously violent games coming up. But on a whole, these seem like reasonable demographics to me, so it pretty much evens out). I got my statistics here: http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/ipc/idbagg You do the math, and when you take into account the fact that Sony and Microsoft are directly competing in the same demographics, and how Nintendo quietly sidestepped the onslaught by carving a new market segment, well... the numbers don't lie. That is not to say that Nintendo will succeed in getting everyone to buy their console, but in terms of sheer numbers alone, I do feel that Nintendo has the upper hand this time. I invite all of you to check out the numbers and try to make something out of it!

I think breaking down the systems into 'target demographics' is not reall accurate ... For the most part every console manufacturer is happy to have support from anyone. Nintendo has a reputation for not targeting the 13-25 year old male demographic because of the lack of 'Mature' titles; what really happened is Nintendo lacked 3rd party development because (most of) the best 'Mature' games are developed by third parties ( http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp ). Now Nintendo is targeting Women, older and lapsed gamers but I think this is more because Nintendo has found success with their efforts in apealing to these (typically) non-gamers. If Microsoft or Sony had produced games that were as successful as Brain-Training, Nintendogs or Animal Crossing they would be actively targeting these gamers.

DIAR said: Wii has chosen to target parents and chicks, They have made it clear men are no longer of any value to them.
Just what kind of "men" are you talking about. They have about 6 games that will be rated from mature to adult coming out soon. Of course I didn't know you needed to be a "man" to play those games. Just because they are targeting others, doesn't mean they will abandon the hardcore gamer market. Your comment about sticking to SNES games also disrupts your whole man concept, as there aren't many manly games for SNES.

diamuerto said: DIAR said: Wii has chosen to target parents and chicks, They have made it clear men are no longer of any value to them. Just what kind of "men" are you talking about. They have about 6 games that will be rated from mature to adult coming out soon. Of course I didn't know you needed to be a "man" to play those games. Just because they are targeting others, doesn't mean they will abandon the hardcore gamer market. Your comment about sticking to SNES games also disrupts your whole man concept, as there aren't many manly games for SNES.
The 360 and the PS3 are both targeting about a third of men aged 18-35 who loves "Mature" games that aren't exactly mature. Nintendo is after the other two-thirds with actual mature games with actual mature content like Brain Age.