By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Sports still amazing

Well, Wii Sports cheated. Outside of Japan, it comes with EVERY SINGLE WII.

If the PS3 and 360 did that, they would each have games that sold 15 million copies.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Kantor said:

If the PS3 and 360 did that, they would each have games that sold 15 million copies.

So Gran Tursimo cheats too?

Pixel Art can be fun.

It is the best.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=46573&start=0

And by the way, there are some other bundles, somehow this is the most succesful one.

There is definitely something comical about the claims that Wii Sports would not sell so well if it were not a pack-in. Of course, it seems to be an unspoken obligation to not factor in how much the Wii has sold simply because Wii Sports IS a pack-in...

Think about it this way: Joe Average, a non-gamer, looks at a video game system and sees it comes with no games. Do you really think he's going to pick the system up when he also has to figure out a game to play on it, not knowing anything about what games are even on the system? Don't fool yourself; most consumers don't know what games are on video game systems, even with commercials advertising them. How often do you mute or ignore commercials that don't interest you? If you're like most people, all the time.

But then let's look at a system with a game packed in. All of a sudden, the equation is much different. Joe Average suddenly is getting not only a game system, but a game to go with it. Score! No need to browse the shelves without knowing what to expect, this game can tell him just what the system has to offer! It's like the company did the research for him, so he gets to have fun right away without worrying about picking up a game that isn't fun!

That, in a nutshell, is why the pack-in is the saving grace of video game systems when marketing to the mainstream. The Wii would not be anywhere near as successful without Wii Sports packed in as it is with it packed in. Don't believe me? Check out its slow-burn of success in Japan, where it's still the most-bought game for the system, yet the system and game both trail behind other regions significantly even in relative scale.

And then there's the fact that no company in its right mind would keep a pack-in that does NOT move hardware. A bad pack-in will kill sales of hardware and software both, due to the effects of first impressions on mainstream consumers. There is a method to the madness, in short, and the pack-in always deserves to sell exactly as well as it does no matter how many irate users claim otherwise.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

SmokedHostage said:
Kantor said:

If Gran Turismo was bundled with every single Playstation, then it would have sold upwards of 100 million copies.

What's your point?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

I thought this thread would be about how the game is still amazing to play after all this time.

I'm disappointed that it isn't, because this game is still amazing to play after all this time. It will never get old. Never I tell ya!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

I remenber wii sports I played it once and then never try it again.

dougsdad0629 said:
ItsaMii said:
jlauro said:
Jo21 said:
isn't this bundled?

So is MGS4 and many other games.

This is not bundled in Japan.

Please only compare Wii Sports with good games.

Agreed.  This game should not be mentioned in the same breath as Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario World or Tetris when it comes to all time great pack-ins.  Wii Sports isn't even close.

Edit:  I misread your post.  MGS4 is fantastic.  It's laughable that anyone would claim Wii Sports is on the same level.

No game has moved more systems than wii sports. I was one of the first people to own an NES, and there's no way I can take this statement seriously.

Also to those who say they'd buy the wii without the game for less, that would defeat the point of making Wii sports. That game NEEDED to be played by all of those who had either never gamed, or hadn't gamed in years to spur their interest.

Without Wii Sports, the Wii would have never shot out of the gates like it did.

Fact.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Kantor said:
SmokedHostage said:
Kantor said:

If Gran Turismo was bundled with every single Playstation, then it would have sold upwards of 100 million copies.

What's your point?

100 million copies? I doubt it.

First of all, Gran Turismo was not ready for the launch of the Playstation. Secondly, the Wii is not bundled in Japan, so you would have to factor out Japan from your equation.

But I understand your point.

The people who are saying "how well would wii sports be selling without bundling it with wii?" i'd like to flip that around and ask "how well would wii be selling without bundling it with wii sports?".. because wii sports is the first game, the game that everyone shows to a first time player, i still play it today with friends who aren't too much into gaming (along with mario kart) and pretty much nothing else..

I still have fun with it, and am glad it was packed in, because otherwise I would have missed a gem