By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 is doing ok but considering...

xman said:

Its a niable thread depending on what your sales expectations of the price cut were?

2 years ago the PS3 didnt have any games...  You got that right the PS3 has a strong line up coming this christmas you cant use that argument.

I guess the fact is the well timed price cut has put the 360 selling week over wekk more than the PS3 so I would consider it a success for MS.  You need to define better it was welling less than the PS3 before the price cut selling more after that is a success.  Can it be discussed sure.

Me personally never take offense though

xman said:
Just to put in some numbers the xbox was being outsold by ps3 20-30k prior to the price cut. which means its jumped around 40k units/week. Not too shabby- a 20-25% increase is pretty decent.

I agree the Xbox360 had a nice boost, problem is though, sales haven't stabilized yet so we can't really tell how high the price cut is going to push the XBox360 HW sales. Considering all the XBox360 commercials I've seen showing off the new price point, and considering it's cheaper than the Wii, I expected more. Though I am expecting really interesting hardware sales this holiday season. Xbox360 with it's low pricepoint, The Wii and it's massive family appeal, PS3 with its strong line up and the depression and how it's going to affect the gaming industry.

okr said:

First of all: No console, no handheld is failing regarding sales this generation. They are all selling in a range between decent and great. I think none of the 5 systems will have sold less than 30 mio units (maybe even not less than 40 mio) when their successors arrive.

The main reason why the 360 is not selling better than PS3 in "Others" - which is the real problem region in the long run for Microsoft - is simple in my opinion:

Many people in Europe consider the 360 lineup to be too similar to the PC lineup (and PC gaming is still big in Europe, so I assume that many EU gamers think: Why buy a 360 when I can play great games like Mass Effect, Gears of War and Bioshock a few months later on my PC anyway? Furthermore, PC games are cheaper)

To make a platform something special, its most important games have to be exclusive for the company's systems:

- Super Mario, Zelda, Wii Sports/Fit and Pokémon are not available on a platform ouside Nintendo's

- Gran Turismo, SingStar, God of War and LPB are not available on a platform outside Sony's

- Most important: The main 1st party games of both, Sony & Nintendo, are not available on PCs (except Everquest afaik)

That's a pretty good point you brought up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network
lwhatee said:
Ender said:

CGI-Quality said:
@ kowenicki

uuu how is the PS3 failing? Ok it's more expensive than the 360 YET IT STILL OUTSELLS IT. Then what does that say for the 360 if the “failing” consoke still can outsell it with NO PRICE CUT.

the ps3 isn't considered a failure, but at the very least it's been a disappointment for sony.  We'll have to see how it performs in it's complete life cycle before we can call it a success, failure or somewhere in between.

are u abnormal???

The only console which is failing is X360.

PS3 will do more than x360 in 2 years LTD sales at the end of december 2008

LBP will give PS3 a permamnent edge over x360 in HW sales

x360 is already finished in europe and Japan. MS also has no trump card left since x360 costs 1/3 as a ps3 in most parts of the world

PS3 will sell 100m + lifetime. I can bet on that.

It launched at 600$ /Euro and it still costs 600$ in europe. It is selling just as good as X360

x360 will survive this year but from 09 and beyond it will all over for x360 in console war

haha that's awesome

lwhatee said:
Ender said:

CGI-Quality said:
@ kowenicki

uuu how is the PS3 failing? Ok it's more expensive than the 360 YET IT STILL OUTSELLS IT. Then what does that say for the 360 if the “failing” consoke still can outsell it with NO PRICE CUT.

the ps3 isn't considered a failure, but at the very least it's been a disappointment for sony.  We'll have to see how it performs in it's complete life cycle before we can call it a success, failure or somewhere in between.

are u abnormal???

The only console which is failing is X360.

PS3 will do more than x360 in 2 years LTD sales at the end of december 2008

LBP will give PS3 a permamnent edge over x360 in HW sales

x360 is already finished in europe and Japan. MS also has no trump card left since x360 costs 1/3 as a ps3 in most parts of the world

PS3 will sell 100m + lifetime. I can bet on that.

It launched at 600$ /Euro and it still costs 600$ in europe. It is selling just as good as X360

x360 will survive this year but from 09 and beyond it will all over for x360 in console war

PS3 is not selling 100M in its liefetime...feel free to pump the PS3 but stay in the realms of reality please

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

d21lewis said:
The 360 does everything right, but people just don't trust it yet.

Hardly... online is nit free, and 1st party support is far the worst from the 3...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

People need to stop comparing prices here, 360 will never be the same price as the PS3, it is just cheaper to make and it always will be. The price gap may closer next year but they will not be the same price, the pro will always be cheaper than the PS3, and the arcade will always be a lot cheaper. Also don't assume that PS3 can reach a low price while this gen still matters, in 09 they will probably cut the price to $300, but what after that? In 2011 (360 will probably drop price in 2010) when the price is possibly lowered again the next 360 will be out and this gen will be winding down.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
tuoyo said:
Okay in the last two weeks there has been too much fighting between the 360 and PS3 camps. It is getting boring. Can we go back to the days of HD consoles camp versus Wii camp? All this arguing over who is going to finish last is silly.

OT to all those going on and on about the price of the 360. I was seriously considering getting a 360 this weekend. I'm not really interested in any game on the 360 apart from Pro Evo but thought well for months I have been hearing on VGCharts how cheap the 360 is and the money won't make that much of a difference to my pockets. I also heard there were Pro Evo bundles. So I went to a few stores that sell consoles. It had to be an elite of course due to the HDMI and hard drive size so could dump all my music on it and use it as a media centre. Well the elite was £220. My router is upstairs while my gadgets are downstairs. So I would need the 360 wireless adapter for about £50 bringing the price to £270. But wait!!! I can get an 80gb PS3 for £280 and that has a HD video player built in. So which is really cheaper.

What am I trying to say? Well you PS3 fans need to stop twisting the facts to fit your arguments. On the one hand you say if you get the arcade you need to buy this this and this making it more expensive than the PS3. But on the otherhand you always refer to the price of the arcade and say it costs less than half than the price of PS3 yet can barely outsell it. It is getting so annoying I am even more pissed off than starcraft despite the fact I could care less about 360.

I like your plan PS3 and 360 fans unit as the HD crowd against the WII non HD that puts our numbers combined better than the WII!!!

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

starcraft said:
darthdevidem01 said:
lol the point starcraft is consumer demand

why oh why is PS3 stil outsellign 360 in EU despite 360 beign merely £10 costlier than PS2??

answer the questiont he OP posted.....if you can't answer it don't post in the thread

Question 1:

Why is the more expensive PS3 keeping pace with the cheaper Xbox 360 with better games, online and advertising?

Answer 1:

Brandname

Question 2:

Do developers give a damn?

Answer 2:

No

thats correct!!!!

I think the 360 is doing very good considering xbox 1 sold 20 million while the ps2 sold 130 million. Playstation is such a bigger name is consoles than xbox its amazing the 360 is beating the ps3 even when the 360 laucnhed 1/3 consoles broke i mean thats horrible. GJ micro.

The amount of customers owning HD TVs didn't change dramatically over the past 6 months and so the potential market for HD consoles still is limited. This will change in the upcoming years. 360 probably will have its highest sales in 2009 and early 2010.

lwhatee said:
NiKKoM said:
lwhatee said:

Guess I live in a different Europe then you... 0_o still €600???

OT.. I Blame the Wii.. it's stealing thunder from both HD systems..

I said 600 $ --dollars

PS3 will also steal wii's thunder when it drops in price in eu

Wii is a fad . as soon as Blu Ray market penetration increases PS3 sales will explode in europe

X360 and PS3 are not in the same position in europe. No one wants x360 in europe excepting British. However it could also be due to the price. it is 1/3 the price of a pS3 in UK

oh no he didn't!

amg he did!

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!