By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A liberal supermajority--What it really means for the U.S.

halogamer1989 said:

In both 1933 and 1965, liberal majorities imposed vast expansions of government that have never been repealed, and the current financial panic may give today's left another pretext to return to those heydays of welfare-state liberalism. Americans voting for "change" should know they may get far more than they ever imagined.

In 1933, FDR created a bunch of programs that rescued the financial sector from the worst depression in American history. Federal Reserve System, FDIC, the SEC, etc. And the New Deal created Social Security too - which has generally been pretty popular.

In the 1960s, the Johnson administration enacted the most comprehensive civil rights legislation since Reconstruction. I hope we can all agree that eliminating segregation, ensuring minority voting rights, and providing relief to the poor were good things.

Wait - why exactly are we supposed to be afraid?

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network
halogamer1989 said:
steven787 said:
ssj12 said:
steven787 said:

You guys expect to be given everything by the govt?  If so, Europe has nice real estate that you might like.  Also, if you tax a corp. they will increase the price for their goods and services to recoup losses.  You think their will be no repercussions from an Obama tax? Food prices today will be dirt cheap compared to the results of increases corporation windfall taxes and gasoline will increase as OPEC will maintain a policy to make up for lost funds. 

It is a no win situation.

Hate to point this out but Europe has been around many time longer than has the US and they have setteled for their current model. Obviously thousands of years of experience can't match the 200 that the US has!

I also have to agree with moongoddess, as hard as it tried to be negative I only saw it as positive, it being the article.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Sullla said:In 1933, FDR created a bunch of programs that rescued the financial sector from the worst depression in American history. Federal Reserve System, FDIC, the SEC, etc. And the New Deal created Social Security too - which has generally been pretty popular.

In the 1960s, the Johnson administration enacted the most comprehensive civil rights legislation since Reconstruction. I hope we can all agree that eliminating segregation, ensuring minority voting rights, and providing relief to the poor were good things.

The Federal Reserve was created in 1913; one of the saddest days in the annals of American history. 

Also, I believe the civil rights bills you are referring to (64. 65, and 68) all received greater support from Republicans. We were at one time the party of liberty and expanding rights to all people; I believe even the 19th Amendment had more support from Republicans than Democrats. 

Jackson50 said:
Sullla said:In 1933, FDR created a bunch of programs that rescued the financial sector from the worst depression in American history. Federal Reserve System, FDIC, the SEC, etc. And the New Deal created Social Security too - which has generally been pretty popular.

The Federal Reserve was created in 1913; one of the saddest days in the annals of American history. 

Also, I believe the civil rights bills you are referring to (64. 65, and 68) all received greater support from Republicans. We were at one time the party of liberty and expanding rights to all people; I believe even the 19th Amendment had more support from Republicans than Democrats. 

Johnson, a Democrat, was the main cheerleader behind most of the Civil Rights stuff.  And Democrats then =/ Democrats now.  The Democrats who tried to filibuster and block the legislation were from the South.  Not surprisingly, once Democrats became the party associated with civil rights, many "Democrats" in the South switched to "Republicans."  The Civil Rights legislation was really the main force behind the political rearrangement of Democrats and Republicans.

The previous Democrat voting bloc had been Southern Whites and Northern laborers.  While northern laborers are still relatively reliable Democrats, Southern Whites are not.  Its not really appropriate to draw parallels when the political landscape has shifted so much since then.

For instance, the one Democratic senator from Texas who stood up for the bill was ousted from office shortly afterwards and his political career never recovered.  The Democrat and Republican parties have seen profound changes since then, and have flip-flopped with each other on quite a few issues.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

@Jackson50: Glass-Steagle was one piece in a gigantic puzzle, that economists, historians, and journalists will be unraveling for the next 50 years.

@SSJ12: Sorry, I should have said Orlando. After calling my friend who is a manager at a store, he says it's more like $1.25 over ($8.00+-); and they do pay more here because of a tighter labor market and higher cost of living. They also get a quarterly bonus, and full time get the cheapest health insurance that I've ever heard of and contributions to retirement.

I'm a manager at a Hotel in Florida, my benefits: Single Person Health Insurance for $87 every other week. I get it cheaper on my own. That is all. We supposedly get a hotel discount when we travel, but every time I've tried to get it the other hotels say they are sold out of those rooms. (We say the same thing to them)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

The thing that scares me about the super-majority is the talk about "Redistribution of Wealth" ... The reason this should be scary is that wealth has already been redistributed by the tax system:

akuma587 said:

Johnson, a Democrat, was the main cheerleader behind most of the Civil Rights stuff.  And Democrats then =/ Democrats now.  The Democrats who tried to filibuster and block the legislation were from the South.  Not surprisingly, once Democrats became the party associated with civil rights, many "Democrats" in the South switched to "Republicans."  The Civil Rights legislation was really the main force behind the political rearrangement of Democrats and Republicans.

The previous Democrat voting bloc had been Southern Whites and Northern laborers.  While northern laborers are still relatively reliable Democrats, Southern Whites are not.  Its not really appropriate to draw parallels when the political landscape has shifted so much since then.

For instance, the one Democratic senator from Texas who stood up for the bill was ousted from office shortly afterwards and his political career never recovered.  The Democrat and Republican parties have seen profound changes since then, and have flip-flopped with each other on quite a few issues.

I agree with you. I do not consider myself a new Republican. I am, however, proud of the old Republicans who stood for expanding and protecting liberty in our nation, and I consider myself a Republican in their mold. Many prominent old Republicans-including my political hero, Robert Taft-always advocated liberty; they opposed internment, the Nuremberg trials, and other such violations of liberty. It is a shame that we no longer represent the ideals that they previously advocated.

ssj12 said:
wait... profit taxes on oil and new mortgages after bankruptcy was both denied.. why do we elect our senators again?

Windfall profit taxes don't really work.

halogamer1989 said:
steven787 said:
ssj12 said:
steven787 said:

Prescription Drug Price controls would include opening up importing from Canada and Europe. 

Nobody forced to join a union under that law, if 10% of the company want to join a Union, they should be able to.  But they can't because 50%+1 need to support a union.

Taxation with out representation in DC is a big deal.  Republicans block it because they don't want all those black people to have a voice in congress.

Renegotiating Mortgage contracts: yeah! those banks should just be given blank check bail out, and all those people should get kicked out of their homes. /sarcasm

Eliminating the statute of limitations would mean people would be better to protect their rights.  Sexual harassment is a myth.  Retaliation is a myth.  Injuries in the work place are a myth.  Boo! Boo! /sarcasm

Bar funding for war in Iraq... no I'm just saying.  Bar funding for the war in Iraq.  Get a treaty signed, and GTFO. Bar funding until Bush admits he is a war criminal, and gives himself up for prosecution.

Windfall Profits Tax.  Some times taxes need to go down, sometimes they need to go up.  The windfall profits tax would still be lower than the pre-Bush 43 federal tax rates on oil companies.  Right now, the governmment is spending a crap load of money of these bail outs, taxes need to go up for major US based corporations, people who have over a net-worth of over 2 billion dollars, and companies that assosiate with the federal government ie oil companies.

added the bolded part for you.

It doesn't matter who or what you tax, it all ends up pretty much the same in the end.  I disagree.  Taxes need to go up.

Too much talk of spreading the wealth with out talk of spreading the burden.

Tax U.S. based corps, they move.  Jobs are lost.

Income taxes need to go up.  Sucks, but that's life.

Subsidize food, health care, housing, education.  That way the poorest pay about the same (which is nothing) and have better healthcare, while everyone else is now getting a living credit, instead of a standard deduction.

Meanwhile, eliminate payroll taxes on the first 10k and raise minimum wage, so people are spending instead of the government in the longterm.

Eliminate interest free student loans. Increase student grants.

Raise taxes on savings over a certain amount.

You can only tax the rich so much, before they just take their money elsewhere.

You guys expect to be given everything by the govt?  If so, Europe has nice real estate that you might like.  Also, if you tax a corp. they will increase the price for their goods and services to recoup losses.  You think their will be no repercussions from an Obama tax? Food prices today will be dirt cheap compared to the results of increases corporation windfall taxes and gasoline will increase as OPEC will maintain a policy to make up for lost funds. 

It is a no win situation.

Do you know how hard it is to immigrate to Europe from the US?

You practically have to have a job before you come over... and the EU has a "EU first" employment policy makes that nearly impossible.

Kasz216 said:
ssj12 said:
wait... profit taxes on oil and new mortgages after bankruptcy was both denied.. why do we elect our senators again?

Windfall profit taxes don't really work.

Ask Sarah Palin about that and the Alaskan people. ;)

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.