By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A liberal supermajority--What it really means for the U.S.

steven787 said:

Prescription Drug Price controls would include opening up importing from Canada and Europe. 

Nobody forced to join a union under that law, if 10% of the company want to join a Union, they should be able to.  But they can't because 50%+1 need to support a union.

Taxation with out representation in DC is a big deal.  Republicans block it because they don't want all those black people to have a voice in congress.

Renegotiating Mortgage contracts: yeah! those banks should just be given blank check bail out, and all those people should get kicked out of their homes. /sarcasm

Eliminating the statute of limitations would mean people would be better to protect their rights.  Sexual harassment is a myth.  Retaliation is a myth.  Injuries in the work place are a myth.  Boo! Boo! /sarcasm

Bar funding for war in Iraq... no I'm just saying.  Bar funding for the war in Iraq.  Get a treaty signed, and GTFO. Bar funding until Bush admits he is a war criminal, and gives himself up for prosecution.

Windfall Profits Tax.  Some times taxes need to go down, sometimes they need to go up.  The windfall profits tax would still be lower than the pre-Bush 43 federal tax rates on oil companies.  Right now, the governmment is spending a crap load of money of these bail outs, taxes need to go up for major US based corporations, people who have over a net-worth of over 2 billion dollars, and companies that assosiate with the federal government ie oil companies.

added the bolded part for you.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
steven787 said:

Prescription Drug Price controls would include opening up importing from Canada and Europe. 

Nobody forced to join a union under that law, if 10% of the company want to join a Union, they should be able to.  But they can't because 50%+1 need to support a union.

Taxation with out representation in DC is a big deal.  Republicans block it because they don't want all those black people to have a voice in congress.

Renegotiating Mortgage contracts: yeah! those banks should just be given blank check bail out, and all those people should get kicked out of their homes. /sarcasm

Eliminating the statute of limitations would mean people would be better to protect their rights.  Sexual harassment is a myth.  Retaliation is a myth.  Injuries in the work place are a myth.  Boo! Boo! /sarcasm

Bar funding for war in Iraq... no I'm just saying.  Bar funding for the war in Iraq.  Get a treaty signed, and GTFO. Bar funding until Bush admits he is a war criminal, and gives himself up for prosecution.

Windfall Profits Tax.  Some times taxes need to go down, sometimes they need to go up.  The windfall profits tax would still be lower than the pre-Bush 43 federal tax rates on oil companies.  Right now, the governmment is spending a crap load of money of these bail outs, taxes need to go up for major US based corporations, people who have over a net-worth of over 2 billion dollars, and companies that assosiate with the federal government ie oil companies.

It doesn't matter who or what you tax, it all ends up pretty much the same in the end.  I disagree.  Taxes need to go up.

Too much talk of spreading the wealth with out talk of spreading the burden.

Tax U.S. based corps, they move.  Jobs are lost.

Income taxes need to go up.  Sucks, but that's life.

Subsidize food, health care, housing, education.  That way the poorest pay about the same (which is nothing) and have better healthcare, while everyone else is now getting a living credit, instead of a standard deduction.

Meanwhile, eliminate payroll taxes on the first 10k and raise minimum wage, so people are spending instead of the government in the longterm.

Eliminate interest free student loans. Increase student grants.

Raise taxes on savings over a certain amount.

You can only tax the rich so much, before they just take their money elsewhere.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:
ssj12 said:
steven787 said:

It doesn't matter who or what you tax, it all ends up pretty much the same in the end.  I disagree.  Taxes need to go up.

will only happen until cheap labor barely exists. China cant survive having 1.5 billion workers at the same rate of pay forever.

No increase needed if we can lower unemployeement. More workers equal more income taxes.

Subsidize food, health care, housing, education.  That way the poorest pay about the same (which is nothing) and have better healthcare, while everyone else is now getting a living credit, instead of a standard deduction.

After working at WalMart as a cashier there is about 50% of all food buyers using food stamps or WIC checks. I think food is covered.

Housing can be done, somewhat, if you limit homeowner's insurance increases. The house I'm living in now has a mortgage payment of $2700 a month and an insurance payment of $4500 a year. So really you might be able to balance things out but not really.

Health care can be taken care of if you make insurance companies offer something like Blue Cross Blue Shield does.

Meanwhile, eliminate payroll taxes on the first 10k and raise minimum wage, so people are spending instead of the government in the longterm.

Florida already has one of the highest minimum wage rates in the USA. How about kick companies like WalMart in the balls and make the raise wages by cost of living.

Agreed.

NO. Eliminate this tax completely. If one is betting on their savings to bail them out if they lose their job or retire and there is a 40% tax on it then what was the point of saving?

Let them leave. What does a man like Bill Gates really for this country? Nothing. He is spending his billions in Africa while people in the USA could use the money and relief he is freely handing out.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

steven787 said:
ssj12 said:
steven787 said:

You guys expect to be given everything by the govt?  If so, Europe has nice real estate that you might like.  Also, if you tax a corp. they will increase the price for their goods and services to recoup losses.  You think their will be no repercussions from an Obama tax? Food prices today will be dirt cheap compared to the results of increases corporation windfall taxes and gasoline will increase as OPEC will maintain a policy to make up for lost funds. 

It is a no win situation.

Bottom line, if the Republicans don't want to democrats to control all sectors of government, then they should have done a better job in the 8 years that they were in control.

in the past 28 years, 20 of them have been under Republican presidents!

Around the Network

Not gonna quote... not gonna do it... wouldn't be prudent.

Decrease unemployment? The unemployment rate is 6.1%, high and climbing but not a significant portion of tax revenue. 3-5% is what is call structural and frictional unemployment. This type of unemployment isn't related to the cyclical economy.

Housing credit, if you live in a home with $3000 per month in payments then you are not exactly the target of the housing credit. I live in a decent 2 bedroom apartment, I pay $800 per month. It's not much to me, but for a household of 4 making 45k/year (median household income), they have about 2800 after taxes. Take out 800 for the house, 350 for health care, 150-200 power, 200 for gas, 100 for phones (1 cell for each pf the two adults), 300-400 for car payments or maintenance, 150-200 for car insurance, etc. etc. etc.

Florida does have one of the highest minimum wages, and it is linked to cost of living. Still not high enough. All minimum wage jobs in Florida are service jobs that aren't going anywhere. The good 'ol boys down here have been riding high on the backs of the poor for too long, choking power, rigging elections, and generally abusing power. Come on, even the shape of the state is disgusting. (BTW Wal-Mart pays about $2 over the minimum wage for 90% percent of it's work force in Florida, I've been trying to find the link but I can't. Sadly, Wal-Mart is one of the better employers in this state.)

Go Blue is not full health coverage. It is limited Managed Health Care. Doesn't help if you get really sick.

halogamer1989 said:

You guys expect to be given everything by the govt?  If so, Europe has nice real estate that you might like.  (Read: If you don't like it leave.) Also, if you tax a corp. they will increase the price for their goods and services to recoup losses.  You think their will be no repercussions from an Obama tax? Food prices today will be dirt cheap compared to the results of increases corporation windfall taxes and gasoline will increase as OPEC will maintain a policy to make up for lost funds. 

This is a democratic republic, that means 50%+1 get to pick their representation.  If you don't like it, I hear Corporatist Russia has some great business opertunities for you.

I agree with you that high taxes will screw a lot of things up.  The republican Congress and Bill Clinton shouldn't have passed the Glass-Steagle Act and Bush shouldn't have commited war crimes and lied to the American people sending us into a trillion dollar war; and Congress shouldn't have let him.

steven787 said:
halogamer1989 said:

You guys expect to be given everything by the govt?  If so, Europe has nice real estate that you might like.  (Read: If you don't like it leave.) Also, if you tax a corp. they will increase the price for their goods and services to recoup losses.  You think their will be no repercussions from an Obama tax? Food prices today will be dirt cheap compared to the results of increases corporation windfall taxes and gasoline will increase as OPEC will maintain a policy to make up for lost funds. 

This is a democratic republic, that means 50%+1 get to pick their representation.  If you don't like it, I hear Corporatist Russia has some great business opertunities for you.

I agree with you that high taxes will screw a lot of things up.  The republican Congress and Bill Clinton shouldn't have passed the Glass-Steagle Act and Bush shouldn't have commited war crimes and lied to the American people sending us into a trillion dollar war; and Congress shouldn't have let him.

Same goes for the Community Reinvestment Act.  I am fine with the electoral college, btw.

steven787 said:
Not gonna quote... not gonna do it... wouldn't be prudent.

Decrease unemployment? The unemployment rate is 6.1%, high and climbing but not a significant portion of tax revenue. 3-5% is what is call structural and frictional unemployment. This type of unemployment isn't related to the cyclical economy.

Housing credit, if you live in a home with $3000 per month in payments then you are not exactly the target of the housing credit. I live in a decent 2 bedroom apartment, I pay $800 per month. It's not much to me, but for a household of 4 making 45k/year (median household income), they have about 2800 after taxes. Take out 800 for the house, 350 for health care, 150-200 power, 200 for gas, 100 for phones (1 cell for each pf the two adults), 300-400 for car payments or maintenance, 150-200 for car insurance, etc. etc. etc.

Florida does have one of the highest minimum wages, and it is linked to cost of living. Still not high enough. All minimum wage jobs in Florida are service jobs that aren't going anywhere. The good 'ol boys down here have been riding high on the backs of the poor for too long, choking power, rigging elections, and generally abusing power. Come on, even the shape of the state is disgusting. (BTW Wal-Mart pays about $2 over the minimum wage for 90% percent of it's work force in Florida, I've been trying to find the link but I can't. Sadly, Wal-Mart is one of the better employers in this state.)

Go Blue is not full health coverage. It is limited Managed Health Care. Doesn't help if you get really sick.

BS, WalMart does not. I make $7.40 an hour for a level 3 position. Minumim wage in the state is $6.79. That is not $2 over. They also removed the 90-day raise.

steven787 said:

Glass-Steagle had nothing to do with the financial crisis. If that deregulation caused the current crisis, I think it is a safe assumption that the unified banks would be the institutions that are failing. We are, however, seeing the exact opposite of this. Unified banks have been the most stable institutions during the crisis.

I do not have grave fear of a Democratic supermajority. There will be an increase in the likelihood of legislation being passed that I disagree with-especially in regards to economics-, but there will be some good from a Democratic congress; we may finally see an end to Iraq.