By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Upcoming salesnumbers for Japan. wii or ps3 to lead next-gen?!

As the most of u know gundam mosou (or whatever that freakin gundam name is) is coming out around 2nd of March and it's gonna sell!... But Nintendo is also bringing out it's own little AAA title called Fire emblem: goddess of Dawn. Followed up by Sega's sonic and the secret rings (this game only counts if it is like 3 times better as its ps3 brother)... What do you guys think?! Is PS3 gonna have a massive sales impulse or is Nintendo enabled to form a block against Gundam/PS3 with fire emblem?... My prediction is: Last weeks: Wii: around 70-90k PS3: around 18-25k X360: Already dead in Japan *Laughs* Coming week: Wii: 140k PS3: 50-80k (Depending on the attachrate of gundam)... X360: Still dead *Rofl*...

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network

What's gonna prompt the Wii to boost to 140k? Fire Emblem is out this week in Japan, and Sonic isn't a big franchise. I think Gundam Musuo will actually struggle to do 100k week one (a big number for PS3 right now) and might boost hardware to 30-35k at best. I think a lot of people are being far to optimistic...

Hmm, never thought about that really. Good thing u bringin up there, cause like no-one owns a PS3 there at the mom so i guess ur quite right about that one,....

THE NETHERLANDS

DreamsCast said: What's gonna prompt the Wii to boost to 140k? Fire Emblem is out this week in Japan, and Sonic isn't a big franchise. I think Gundam Musuo will actually struggle to do 100k week one (a big number for PS3 right now) and might boost hardware to 30-35k at best. I think a lot of people are being far to optimistic...
Fire emblem not a big seller? I know it has to be some sort of a favorite. I never had played it but I hear about it all the time. And seen the characters in smash bros. (IMO they happen to be the coolest characters of SMSB)

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

StarcraftManiac said: As the most of u know gundam mosou (or whatever that freakin gundam name is) is coming out around 2nd of March and it's gonna sell!... But Nintendo is also bringing out it's own little AAA title called Fire emblem: goddess of Dawn. Followed up by Sega's sonic and the secret rings (this game only counts if it is like 3 times better as its ps3 brother)... What do you guys think?! Is PS3 gonna have a massive sales impulse or is Nintendo enabled to form a block against Gundam/PS3 with fire emblem?... My prediction is: Last weeks: Wii: around 70-90k PS3: around 18-25k X360: Already dead in Japan *Laughs* Coming week: Wii: 140k PS3: 50-80k (Depending on the attachrate of gundam)... X360: Still dead *Rofl*...
Are their enough units to get 140k in a week? I think that week software Wii wins but there is a lot of chance that PS3 hardware will sell more then.

Around the Network

I actually predict that Nintendo will make sure to ship at least 90K Wii units to offset the Gundam/PS3 hype battle next week. They did it with VF5 and will probably do it with the DS this week with Monster Hunter Portable 2(I expect at least 180K DS sales numbers). With Gundam Musou, I'm not confident about my predictions because I just don't know how gundam does in Japan, especially in this new formula so i'll pass on that one.

I've heard the Fire Emblem games, prior to the ones I've played (prior to 7 they were never released outside of japan), were always good-great, but never anything phenominal to most gamers. The biggest turn-off to most people who would otherwise like the game is "permanent death", meaning you lost that character at any point (even if it's your favorite archer/swordsman/mage) and he's dead, period, having "died" at that battle. Of course there are those who don't mind or even like the system, giving a sense of priority to just surviving with all of your characters intact. Personally I own 7 and 8 for GBA and 9 for Gamecube, and love them all. They use an anime-style graphics system, a good story, and a ton of great characters (all of which can have discussions with each other to expand their own personalities and stories). Also the games have great music, and the gameplay is solid (albeit never fantastic). Path of Radiance (accidentally said Portrait of Ruin) for Gamecube (2005) sold 100k it's first week but only 55k afterwards, so I don't expect too much in the "legs" department for this game. :( I'll admit I'd love to see this one do over 250k at least. :) edit : oops, I dunno how I made that mistake, I don't even like Castlevania. :p

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

vanguardian1 said: Portrait of Ruin for Gamecube (2005) sold 100k it's first week but only 55k afterwards, so I don't expect too much in the "legs" department for this game. :( I'll admit I'd love to see this one do over 250k at least. :)
It's Path of Radiance. Portrait of Ruin was a Castlevania game on the DS...

PS3 games are all flopping because the Japanese are buying the PS3 for the BlueRay drive. If you look at the total numbers sold in Japan (using Vg's numbers): 693,500 console sold and 722,000 games. it's a 1 to 1.04 ratio Check the sales numbers for last week - More PS3's where sold then games. There's 3250 Japanese people who baught the PS3 with 0 games. That's insane! My guess is that there using it as a BD player cause it's cheaper.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

From what I have seen in the past, it is very hard for most people to spend $200 on a videogame system for one game ... at $500/$600 I would imagine that only a (very) small portion of the population would be willing to spend that much money on the system for a game; and even then the game would have to be amazing.