By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Little Big Planet=everything the reviews say and more

I think the official street date is still tuesday but Gamestop called me today to let me know my reserve copy was in.  I've been playing it a few hours now (past the first 2 worlds, one midevil and one African Savanah) and I can say from the creative credits that form the first level (the names/faces of the designers pop up as you go through it) to the cheeky British Narator who is genuinely funny to the incredibly bright and lively levels and characters Little Big Planet is without a doubt the best game of the year.

I have been excited about this game since hearing about it originally but I have to say I heavily underestimated how fun it would be, especially for playing with others (my wife in this case).  While most platform games either go with the player ones turn then player twos turn model (ala the Mario games up to Mario 64) or the one person does more or less everything that matters while the other is a semi assistant (ala Mario Galaxy) LBP genuinely gets between 2 and 4 people totally involved.  

There are points where you have something with wheels, say a skateboard, and you have to race to the end of the level.  It is a lot like the louge, everyone piles on as one person tries to push it to get momentum going (the whole games is heavily laden with awesome realistic physics never before seen in a 2D platformer) and then jump on.  You can then control the board by all standing in the front to get more forward momentum then switching to the back to raise the board for a jump.  The first few times its chaos (fun chaos), if you really figure out how to work together though its poetry in motion.  

The characters are way more personable then anything I've ever seen in a game.  You have at least two dozen emotional states you can have your character represent from terror to elation to anger to sadness and everything in between.  These states are all accessible through a handful of button presses so they're VERY easy to change on the go.  You can manipulate every aspect of your characters movement seamlessly from their body position to the way they wave their arms, again easily and on the go.  A lot of that doesn't have a HUGE impact on the game, but it gives the characters overwhelming personality and makes them a lot more then just a avatar you watch run around without change or real humanity for 12 hours.  It's strange that sack boy seems infinitely more human then Mario or Link, who are actually humans, ever did.  

There is a great unlockable system as well.  A lot of levels have over 70 unlockables within them between scenery stickers, level templates, clothing items and body parts.  Some are obvious and easy to get to, some are cleverly hidden behind fun and interesting puzzles.  As a quick puzzle example there is a basket in the sky hanging from a chain, then there is a jetpack, a drawbridge and a stack of circular blocks.  I'm not going to spoil the answer for anyone, but the moment of realization when you figure out the puzzle is great fun.  This game is full of little moments like that.  It's the first time I've really enjoyed in game puzzles since symphony of the Night and the first Tomb Raider 10 years ago.  It really is amazing how far LBP stretches the limits of what can be done in a 2D game.

Even more fun a lot of the puzzles require multiple people working together to solve.  You'll have sea saws where 3 people must jump at the same time to launch the last sackboy to get an unlockable or places where multiple sackboys must use reflexes/items to defeat a boss.  It's the best 4 person cooperative fun I've come across in any action game.  This game is clearly not meant to be played alone only, its vastly superior with friends either in house or online (though online won't start til the official street date of tuesday I believe).  I had some friends over just for the purpose of trying the 4 player system out and its great chaotic fun especially in the later more complex levels.

Customizing your sack boy is really easy and fun as well.  There is a limited selection of costumes at first but very quickly you unlock dozens and dozens of options plus you can make your own with either screen captures or the eye toy.  It is very easy to make just about any character you can imagine with everything from elizabethan garb to a bunny outfit to pirate garb.  All the body parts animate perfectly and look great.  There is never a worry about looking the same as everyone else in 4 player games, there are just so many options it will be very hard for two sackboys to coincidentally look alike.

Finally making your own backgrounds, costumes and all the rest with the eye toy (I have the PS2 one myself) is seamless and easy, within the 2nd level you find the tools to do so.  You can take pictures in game or through the eyetoy and make just about anything you can imagine then share it in levels you create.  It is by far the easiest level editor I have ever come across and I'm positive within the first week there will be endless varieties of objects and levels for use.  I thought the beta levels I saw in videos were aberrations, too hard for the average person to make.  After playing I find I totally understand how they made those levels, its so straightforward I think just about anyone is capable of being a great LBP creator with some practice and creativity.  The limits are not the tools, but the imagination.

Anyone who is on the fence about the game, I highly highly recommend getting it.  I can't think of the last game I've played that I seriously thought everyone will like.  I mean MGS4 was great, but I didn't expect everyone to think so, same with Final Fantasy 7, Mario 64 and a ton of other classic games.  This game though, is an instant classic that I think just about anyone under the sun will immediately understand and love, its just superb in every way.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Around the Network

Is it better or worse than Super Mario World (SNES) in your opinion? I may buy a PS3 for this game.

Hawkeye said:
Is it better or worse than Super Mario World (SNES) in your opinion? I may buy a PS3 for this game.

In my opinion it's better. It's the best platform game I have ever played. When you first put in the game it makes you smile and feel all warm inside. But contrary to common belief, the later parts of the game are hard as balls.

And there are so many unlockables that it is rediculous. There are around 50 unlockables through around 25 levels and 20 unlockables for every tutorial and there are like 25 of those

Feel free to add me as your friend-PSN ID: Bobo012893

Bobo012893 said:
Hawkeye said:

In my opinion it's better. It's the best platform game I have ever played. When you first put in the game it makes you smile and feel all warm inside. But contrary to common belief, the later parts of the game are hard as balls.

And there are so many unlockables that it is rediculous. There are around 50 unlockables through around 25 levels and 20 unlockables for every tutorial and there are like 25 of those

I am really good at platformers. SMB3 imo has a good difficulty level in world 6-8; not all that touch but still challenging. Anyway, I love making my own super mario world levels in a program called Lunar Magic, and I have some really good and creative levels. How are the level creation tools in LBP? Super Smash Bros Brawl got me excited over the level editor, but the game treid to do to much and eneded up sucking at everything except the core gameplay (and even that went backwards a bit) so that editor sucked. THe LBP level ediotr is better, right? Promo movies make it look good, but its hard to gauge since they speed up/skip things in those movies.

Glad to see others are enjoying the game as much as I am. I have to agree on all of those points. I am loving the game, hard to tear myself away to play the game I'm meant to review next.

Around the Network
Hawkeye said:

dude this is better than any game out there

it kills everything based on just the beta

I did love Super Mario World on the SNES and played it extensively when it came out...damn has it already been over 15 years? Anyway it has a lot of the things that made SMW great. It has multiple abilities (instead of the cape there's a jetpack, instead of the fireball flower there's throwing items which you can grab on to, instead of the Super Mushroom there are custom levels purposely made very tiny).

As already seen from a few videos you can actually make Mario levels from scratch in the level editor! I'm sure at least some of you saw lv 1-1 of the original SM recreated in LBP. That is the big difference. The original levels are truly amazing, but they're just the tip of the iceberg (the trophy for finishing the story mode is called something like just getting started). The story is as long as the Mario world one, and arguably more fun, but then after that there are more items to collect in the completed stages (some are REALLY well hidden), competitive runs with friends, custom levels and of course making your own.

LBP can be REALLY hard if you want it to be. Much like mini Mario you can only get hit once. If custom levels have really complex areas with a lot of death traps it can be quite difficult. Even some of the original levels (especially after the first few stages) have some really hard parts that provide a good mix of excitement and challenge. The limits of LBPs challenge level really is just the sadism of the most hardcore of the developers.

50 unlockables is at the low end actually. The last few levels I've played had over 70 unlockables including special items that require you complete the level with no respawns (in the first few levels its a complete set of pirate garb!) and others that are only available if you get all 70 items scattered throughout the level. The special items for all items or no deaths tend to be the most fun/interesting possibilities so it rewards thoroughness and skill.

Honestly if I didn't have a PS3 and played this game at the house of someone who did, I would stop at gamestop on my way home and get both the system and this game in a second. You can get a used PS3 on Ebay for under 300 bucks if you look around (ditto for Amazon).

Seriously though, if you can go through even the first 30 mins of intro without a huge smile on your face, you're probably not human. It's just so fun and great and joyful, its the perfect counterpoint to the games I've been playing lately like Bioshock and Dead Space. I can't remember the last game that REALLY made me smile like this one does. Probably the original Warioware or maybe even as far back as Mario 64.

In short it is the first Playstation game to really capture what made Nintendo games (especially old school Nintendo games) so great, and then Media Molecule improves on that greatness in almost every single way.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

lbp = tremendous bang for your buck

same goes to resistance 2 = tremendous bang for ur buck

if you havent got a ps3

u should definitely get one for these 2 games

From what i've seen so far the game looks pretty damn awesome. Can't wait to play it.

4 ≈ One

on nov 28th there will be 100s and 1000s of user created levels all around the web

everyone should get a ps3 soley for this game