By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Success or Failure?

Throughout my days here at VGChartz...i always would encounter threads about Console A failed and Console B had more success than Console A....i came to a conclusion that Success is only granted when a console maker stays with the system as Nintendo has done with the Gamecube and N64..Sony PSP isnt a failure considering Sony hasnt abandoned the system..In my opinion..i only see consoles failures if a company abandons the conosle....Sega for example proved that they are a failure rated company due to them making add-ons in the Gensis days (32X, and something else i cant remember) and then the Saturn came out and they announced at the E3 that Saturn isnt the future...and with the Dreamcast they announced that they couldnt no longer support the console due to money issues....Sega proved that they failed not only themselves but to consumers....what Microsoft has done despite the losses they have token on the Xbox they still kept the system..showing that they really cared for the market and wanted to take Sony off the throne...please add on if possible...im working now so i couldnt finish...does anyone agree or disagree??

Around the Network

I don't really agree, I think think that a system is a success if it does what the company intended it to do. The PS2 was a success, and the PS3 so far is a failure because they both were made to be market leaders which is clear by their loss taking strategies. If the PS3 sells 30 million it's a failure, but for gamecube to sell 30 million (it didn't even get that high) it would be decent.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

thats because you are an anti-sony fanboy, we've all seen your posts.

The psp is not a failure, sales are extreemly good, and microsoft got into the buisness to make money and they knew theycould make something better than the ps2 so they did and there in, but I know 360 or the next xbox will be there last console. A system is a sucees if people know about it and want it.The ps3 isnt a failure either, its out selling the 360 world wide.

mM
johnsobas said:
I don't really agree, I think think that a system is a success if it does what the company intended it to do. The PS2 was a success, and the PS3 so far is a failure because they both were made to be market leaders which is clear by their loss taking strategies. If the PS3 sells 30 million it's a failure, but for gamecube to sell 30 million (it didn't even get that high) it would be decent.

You cant compare the GC and the ps3 in any way, right now there are easily more than 30 million people that want a ps3, but cant have it due to the cost of the console. The ps3 is a 10 year system. It is nowhere near being a failure if it just came out started selling bad, but look at it now its out selling the 360 even at North America.

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:
johnsobas said:

You cant compare the GC and the ps3 in any way, right now there are easily more than 30 million people that want a ps3, but cant have it due to the cost of the console. The ps3 is a 10 year system. It is nowhere near being a failure if it just came out started selling bad, but look at it now its out selling the 360 even at North America.

There are lots of ways you can compare the PS3 to the GC right now. I actually posted this in another thread recently, but here take a look

If you look closely at the graph you can see the EU launch pushed it up over the GC/Xbox lines.  But looking ahead to the following two christmas seasons, the GC performance is similar to what the PS3 is expected to do.  What I mean is the yr 2 PS3 christmas coincides with a mediocre yr 2 GC X-mas and the yr 3 PS3 X-mas will coincide with a larger yr 3 GC x-mas.  So really the current PS3 expectations follow the graph pretty well considering how different they are from a demographic appeal standpoint.

Now like I said in the other thread I posted that graph in.  The PS3 is not "doomed' to any one fate yet. They still have plenty of maneuvering ability to get sales going.  But you would be fooling yourself to think that the PS3 has done anything but underperform to date.

To Each Man, Responsibility
leo-j said:
johnsobas said:

god, here comes the 10 year argument again.  I can't start an conversation with you about this if your argument is based on the fact that everyone will want the system when it hits 200$ and it will have a 10 year lifespan.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Success and failure means something different for each of the companies ...

Nintendo's biggest consern is making profit, being able to remain a hardware manufacturer, and being able to make the games they want to make; sales factor into all of these things because if they fell below 10 Million console sales after 5 years they would likely fail on all three points.

Sony and Microsoft are less open on there goals, but many of the assumed goals that people state would require a very large userbase ...

Sony's main goal is to have Blu-ray as the next big DVD type media, or else why would they add the Blu-ray drive and drive up costs by $200??

leo-j said:
johnsobas said:

Come on. Seriously? Do you read your posts as you're typing them or this just an uncontrollable reflex? 

Is this how Nintendo fans sounded when the Playstation murdered the N64? 

Current systems owned: Wii, 360. I'll get a PS3 when hell freezes over!... or when the price drops to a reasonable level. Whichever comes first.