By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The selling power of Gran Turismo

S.T.A.G.E. said:
colonelstubbs said:
GT5 will be a 7 million seller at least guarenteed...but as someone said above, by the time it comes out, will the PS3 still be relevant?

I hope so

7 M at the least? With the shitty sales this gen? Get out of the PS2 era. So you're suggesting that a little less than half of PS3 owners will buy this game? LOL....wow. If it gets 7 M this gen, with the sales of the PS3 installed base, it will be a miracle.

No you should get out of 2007.

Is GT 5 being released tomorrow?? I didn;t know it was

by the time its released 7 million in sales will be "much less than half of the PS3 userbase"

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

No one game can make a system anymore, it needs a steady stream of good games, with great games along the way.

PS2 had a much larger user base, so sales of previous GT games dont mean much.

Sonyfriends are getting very desperate, its always when this or that game that comes out next year or the year after. So many games have already come, Lair, GTA4, MGS4 etc etc (they cant say FF13 anymore) and nothing has changed. the ps3 is most likely coming 3rd this gen.

By the time things finally look good for it, M$ and Nintendo will hyping their next console which will make anything the ps3 can do look a whole lot exciting compared to the new systems.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

darthdevidem01 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
colonelstubbs said:
GT5 will be a 7 million seller at least guarenteed...but as someone said above, by the time it comes out, will the PS3 still be relevant?

I hope so

7 M at the least? With the shitty sales this gen? Get out of the PS2 era. So you're suggesting that a little less than half of PS3 owners will buy this game? LOL....wow. If it gets 7 M this gen, with the sales of the PS3 installed base, it will be a miracle.

by the time its released 7 million in sales will be "much less than half of the PS3 userbase"

Look back at my post I made some edits. Anyway as for this post, GT5 should sell very well, but this gen has been extremely disappointing for sales. Whatever it gets, it will still be great for this gen. I'm amazed Halo 3 even sold what it did on the Xbox 360. Are you getting my point? Those sales are a rarity. Besides, a certain chunk of the PS3 owners only use the system as a cheap BD player you know. I don't think that with the slow sales of HD consoles this gen, that those proposed sales for GT5 will be far off from half. I would say slightly improved, but still not far from half. If you want to talk about far from half, I would talk about Mario Galaxy on the Wii.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
darthdevidem01 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
colonelstubbs said:

I hope so

Look back at my post I made some edits. Anyway as for this post, GT5 should sell very well, but this gen has been extremely disappointing for sales. Whatever it gets, it will still be great for this gen. I'm amazed Halo 3 even sold what it did on the Xbox 360. Are you getting my point? Those sales are a rarity. Besides, a certain chunk of the PS3 owners only use the system as a cheap BD player you know. I don't think that with the slow sales of HD consoles this gen, that those proposed sales for GT5 will be far off from half. I would say slightly improved, but still not far from half. If you want to talk about far from half, I would talk about Mario Galaxy on the Wii.

MGS4 will have outsold MGS3 by the end of this year.

DMC4 is tracking above DMC3 on ps360

GTA 4 will beat GTA 3 in sales easily by the end of this year

seriously if ANYTHING....this gen the 2 "loosing HD consoles" are having software sales like no loosing consoles before them.

I dunno bout your edits....but when you said 7 million is a little less than half of the PS3 userbase....you should've taken into account GT 5 was releasing wen Ps3 is at around 25 - 30 million

GT 3 released when PS2 was at 10 million.....it sold 15 million in the long run....that moots most of your points

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I wonder how many of the GT games have been sold in Europe?

Around the Network
krimoz911 said:

I didn't even realise it at first but when I saw GT5P selling 2 million being just a 40$ demo I noticed how a lot of people in all 3 main regions just love Gran Turismo.
(many people got distracted by lbp and forgot that this is actually ps3's biggest gun and last chance)

no, because there wasn't any decent arcade simulation on ps3 then.

if anyone thinks that GT5 will sell 10mln+ he must be retarded.

1. ps3 userbase won't be that huge as psx/ps2 - ps3 probably won't even hit half of ps2 userbase.

2. prologue was released worldwide and definitely will get most full-gt5 improvements by patches plus few cars and tracks so many people won't buy gt5 since prologue will be enough for them.

3. there will be plenty arcade simulators on the market when gt5 gonna hit so it will be tougher for polyphony digital game.

4. before full gt5 will be released forza 3 will hit the market(maybe even forza 4) and will steal many gt5 fans that are tired of waiting and don't want to throw 400$ for console and 1 game.

5. gt5 will be released in 2011 or later which means near the end of this generation just before or after xbox 3
will hit the market and trust me first thing MS will release will be new forza and halo.

so no gt5 won't sell 10+mln maybe 4-5mln, but nothing more

darthdevidem01 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
darthdevidem01 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
colonelstubbs said:

I hope so

MGS4 will have outsold MGS3 by the end of this year.

I predicted that MGS4 would sell over 4 M. The reason for this is because it's one of the top games period for the PS3 (There aren't many this gen compared to last). MGS3 was a poorly commercialized title. It's amazing it sold what it did, when God of War 2 got 10 times the commercialization and never sold close to it.

DMC4 is tracking above DMC3 on ps360

DMC4 is a multiplatform title. That is irrelevant, because DMC3 sold only on one system. If it needed to be multiplat to get near to DMC3 then something is seriously wrong with the exclusive demand of PS3 for this game this gen. Also dually noting that alot of people that own a 360 once owned a PS2.

GTA 4 will beat GTA 3 in sales easily by the end of this year

Because it was multiplatform from the get go. If Sony hadn't had a 4 year exclusivity contract with Rockstar to get GTA 3 and Vice city out of the hands of MS, GTA4 would be nowhere near GTA3 in sales. Alot of Xbox owners last gen (Not all) who wanted to play GTA3 were forced to buy a PS2, so the multiplatform sales of GTA 3 was sketchy. You're only making it blindingly obvious how much devs were forced to go multiplat to make enough profit and Microsoft opened that gaping hole into Sony's third party exclusivity (Which was their bread and butter last gen).

seriously if ANYTHING....this gen the 2 "loosing HD consoles" are having software sales like no loosing consoles before them.

Thats obvious. Does it look like the Wii has over 60% Marketshare?

I dunno bout your edits....but when you said 7 million is a little less than half of the PS3 userbase....you should've taken into account GT 5 was releasing wen Ps3 is at around 25 - 30 million

So by my estimations you're saying that GT5 is coming out in over 2 or more years?

GT 3 released when PS2 was at 10 million.....it sold 15 million in the long run....that moots most of your points

Yeah, whatever you say. I would focus more on the long run sales if I were you. Last time I checked the PS2 reached 30 Million consoles sold extremely quickly, so those sales would've stretched. That 14.89 M units of GT3 that you speak of? They didn't reach those sales until April  30,2008.

yeah i love gran turismo! I will pre-order 5 for sure.

I don't know what it will sell total, but i'll guess about 1/3 of what the user base is. ie If userbase is 30 million it will sell 10 million.

I wonder whey the second one to release each gen sells less. GT > GT2 & GT3 > GT4

twingo said:
Most will deny it maybe out of ignorance of jealousy whatever but GT alone can carry a console. This game selling power is unrivaled, its the undisputed king of its genre. Has no real competition at all.

Easy 10 million seller.

Good chance by the time GT5 is freaking finally done PS3 just might cost around $200

I totally agree with this post. Only change i'd make is PS3 prob won't be $200. I'd say its about $300 by Christmas 2009 :)

S.T.A.G.E. said:

I'll tell you this. The GT series is a force to be reckoned with. Thats the only PS3 game I expect to top 5M units.

Wait, really? Grand Theft Auto 4 is highly likely to pass 5 million after this holiday season alone, and Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 both have decent chances. Not to mention Call of Duty 5. Of course, a lot of these are shooters, but it's one of the few genres that has massive appeal to both the American and European markets.