By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mid-Generation: loss of impressiveness

Just a few moments ago I saw the Resistance 2 sneak peak on Spike TV and I really started to think about how generally unimpressed I was, and this (kind of) surprised me … Now, I’m not saying there is anything wrong with Resistance 2 because it really does look excellent for a videogame, but the fact that I had to add “for a videogame” is what I am talking about.

Now, in all generations you hit a point where what was so new and impressive when the generation starts to become typical. I suppose the reason this realization took me by surprise (in part) because I haven’t been nearly that dedicated to games on the Xbox 360 (or my old gaming PC) as I was with game systems in the past, and I still play a lot of games on the Wii (which makes HD games look very impressive by comparison).

At the same time, I’m fully willing to admit that I am far less impressed with the Wiimote than I was when it was first released; and I’m very doubtful of many developers ability to use it well with its current limitations. To a certain extent you could say that this is less of a disappointment at the moment because the impending release of Wii MotionPlus gives me hope of having my excitement reignited.

Anyways, is anyone else starting to feel the same way about this generation?

Around the Network

Yeah, I haven't been blown away by anything since certain parts of MGS4, and I, personally anyway, am kind of dissapointed by how Fable 2 looks for being this far into this generation. But that is just my opinion, and how it looks hasn't subtracted from the fun I am having with it.

AceRock owns one PS3, one PS Vita, and one PS4.

the best its yet to come squirrel.

see this generation getting at least 30 new games over all the consoles i own easily.

just of what i have been announced.

Jo21 said:
the best its yet to come squirrel.

see this generation getting at least 30 new games over all the consoles i own easily.

just of what i have been announced.

I have no doubt that many of the best games haven't been released yet, I was just wondering whether anyone else was stopped being that impressed by what once seemed so new 

i played metal gear solid 4, so my answer its no... i was blown away by that game.

Around the Network

I was totally blown away by Gears of War. I know there are graphically better games on the market, but that was where I hit the "I'm not amazed anymore" stage......as far as graphics go. Luckily, gameplay, online, story and innovation still impress me!

I tend to get impressed most by DS games, so I...I dunno what that means here. Happy you come up with a conclusion for me.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

I've been impressed by Cave Story, a 4 year old game, not long, simple gameplay, smooth controls, excellent storyline and characters. I've also been impressed by Psychonauts (3 years old now) which I can only describe as BRILLIANTLY diverse, yet engaging in its gameplay, mood, humor, and characters, all supported by a solid plot and storyline.

I'll be honest, I'm still in love with the Wiimote, but it's never impressed me. This isn't because it's not the most wonderful controller ever invented, but because I've always known how well it is capable of being used and the most any developer will be able to do is MEET my expectations. There just isn't any real way to overcome my expectations of those controls.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Me too, Onyx. I think that when a console like the DS or the Wii does more than I expect, it impresses me far more than when the PS3/360 give me flawless skin and perfectly rendered smoke. I think Chrono Trigger is going to blow me away, and I PLAYED IT 13 YEARS AGO! Funny that.

I know exactly what you mean. Some genres just start to look meh after a while.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.