By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Sony going the way of Sega? (good read for all console owners)

Sony is in a far better situation financially then Sega was with the release of the Dreamcast. Sony being a very large corporation can stand to invest large amounts of money into the PS3. Unlike Sega, Sony is not actually losing much 3rd party support, the 360 is merely gaining support. The other big difference between Sony this gen and Sega last gen is that the PS3 has capable hardware that will likely last to the end of the generation. The Dreamcast on the other hand had underpowered hardware and a limited media format which effectively limited its lifespan and appeal to 3rd party developers.

Around the Network

The person who wrote this article is a complete moron.

RolStoppable said:
@Dgc1808

As I said, a lot of this ridiculously long blog post doesn't make much sense if any at all and the author probably looks at this from a pure American market perspective.

Ah, I see.

4 ≈ One

chukster90 said:

The person who wrote this article is a complete moron.

He also seems to think that America is the only region that matters....

4 ≈ One

bouzane said:
Sony is in a far better situation financially then Sega was with the release of the Dreamcast. Sony being a very large corporation can stand to invest large amounts of money into the PS3. Unlike Sega, Sony is not actually losing much 3rd party support, the 360 is merely gaining support. The other big difference between Sony this gen and Sega last gen is that the PS3 has capable hardware that will likely last to the end of the generation. The Dreamcast on the other hand had underpowered hardware and a limited media format which effectively limited its lifespan and appeal to 3rd party developers.

I forgot about that huge part. Nice Post dude ^_^.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

You know, Dgc, there's an "EDIT" function for a reason...

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!

That was a nice light read. Thanks for posting. it's interesting, but there are different conditions. Sega was already trailing behind come the generations. Sony started in the lead and only fell behind. Though there is a lot of other matches. I guess we will see if the lead makes a difference.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

RolStoppable said:
This is a bad read and not worth anyone's time.

This should be edited into the OP at the very top--if it had, I'd have not wasted my time.

blazinhead89 said:
*Looks at Massive wall of Writing, FEINTS*

Exactly what i was going to say. Except i would have spelt it Faints

It's a pretty good read, but some of your thesis's are incorrect. Nintendo is gaining ground rather than losing, you leave out the other two vital regions and you also don't take into consideration the state of the company that actually produces the console.

But it was a nice read nonetheless.

Huh. Who would've thought that beggining anew in my real life would coincide with starting anew on vgchartz?

Any day now, the dollar will be worth less than 2 zloty......any day now.....and my life savings will be in total jepordy ;(.