By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The official NTDOY/Nintendo discussion thread

Another fall, 2.5% down today. The bears are all over Nintendo, pretty ridiculous.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I think the shorts are done, it's up 2% on pinksheets.

NJ5 said:
..., it's hard to blame them for not being even more aggressive...

It is always some story about how Nintendo's management is not to blame.   The Wii is a very agressive innovation (imho), yet here comes holiday season number 3, and no Wii on the shelves again (i predict).  Yet somehow it will not be a failing of Nintendo's management.  If it is not shortages of semi conductors, it wll be oil, the sinking dollar, the rising dollar,  and if not that it will be global warming or greenpeace. 

Nintendo management has one thing:  uber genius Shigeru Miyamoto.  Time is up for the rest of management, they should resign.

The urge to play is a terrible thing to waste.

@EllensProphet: You may be right, but considering there's no precedent for these hardware shipments in this market, I'm not so sure.

Hi FJ, I don't think the shorts are done with NTDOY yet. They will feed on retail investors in the US and cover in Japan when the shares finally rally. I don't see anything that will make the shares rally until the next quarterly report. (do you?)
You may remember the swarm of nitwits last September blowing hard that "Wii sales are down, it is a fact."
You may want to wait until volume spikes before buying.
"http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/charts/charting.asp?Symbol=JP:7974&&ShowChtBt=Refresh+Chart&DateRangeForm=1&CP=0&PT=5&C9=0&ComparisonsForm=1&CE=0&DisplayForm=1&D4=1&D5=0&3=0&ViewType=0&PeriodType=5"
"http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/charts/charting.asp?Symbol=NTDOY&&ShowChtBt=Refresh+Chart&DateRangeForm=1&CP=0&PT=5&C9=0&ComparisonsForm=1&CE=0&DisplayForm=1&D4=1&D5=0&3=0&ViewType=0&PeriodType=5"

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

@EllensProphet: You may be right, but considering there's no precedent for these hardware shipments in this market, I'm not so sure.

By now there is two years worth of precidence.  I guess the bright side is that the shares are good for swing trading, but the downside is that it takes too much time shopping to be worth it to find the products in stock.

EllensProphet said:
NJ5 said:

By now there is two years worth of precidence.  I guess the bright side is that the shares are good for swing trading, but the downside is that it takes too much time shopping to be worth it to find the products in stock.

That precedent happened at lower production rates, since Nintendo has increased production by 140% or so.

I was a bit disappointed with the latest production increase, but I do have some doubts about whether they could have done much more without sacrificing quality or other lateral issues.

NJ5 said:

That precedent happened at lower production rates, since Nintendo has increased production by 140% or so.

I was a bit disappointed with the latest production increase, but I do have some doubts about whether they could have done much more without sacrificing quality or other lateral issues.

Frankly, I am very disappointed that I bought shares before the earnings announcement. 

To management's credit Nintendo hung on through the long dominance of the PS2, and I only bought shares back then only because I thought their IP (Mario -- who does not love Mario?) was worth more than the share price indicated (in other words, I thought Sony would buy them).  By surviving and innovating they made me a bundle, so maybe I will just take your view for now and see how bad the supply situation in November is.

Besides Nintendo is so secretative that they very well could have everything under control.  Only time will tell.

Cheers.

Anyone notice that the dollar is back over 110 yen? That ought to add to Nintendo profits, if it holds.

What's up today? Down 5, up 5.