By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The official NTDOY/Nintendo discussion thread

Oh, it hurts, it hurts.  I finally got fully invested back into the stock today at 68300 a share and am now the proud owner of 100 7974 shares.  It really stung though.  Having sold 40% of my position last week and having 3 big 5% days since then, I'm out at least $10,000 on gains I could have had simply because I want to attend the shareholder meeting.   Nuts.

Around the Network
Hemlock said:
...  I finally got fully invested back into the stock today at 68300 a share and am now the proud owner of 100 7974 shares. 

I hope the stock does not crash now that you are back in! That would make you hemlock.

The urge to play is a terrible thing to waste.

Wow, 69100, does that mean NTDOY will be about $75? Now who was selling it at $65? It must hurts very very much.

My wife is in Japan now for a conference. She told me Nintendo just made some announcement on Wii today(on TV). I am sure it is a GOOD news and investors just over react to it. This just demonstrate my "irrational investors theory." For a company that is looking very good, any small, tiny, insignificant good news will be over reacted by the market. And it is NORMAL for investors to behave this way.

I bet there will be another 4-5% increase if there is another small good news.

Fishyjoe, would you hold me?

IMHO, the only thing that could be driving this stock this high is that the earnings and revised earnings have leaked. With a $70B market cap, no way the little investor is driving the stock.

Around the Network
skywalker2007 said:
I am not talking about future earning or future potential. P/E usually reflect the discounted future cashflow of a company which is from its anticipated future growth. I am actually talking about the irrational part of investors. It can not be predicted but can be explained.

If something is good, that is worth say 100, people are willing to pay say 110 for it. There is no logical reason other than they just like it. And this irrationality is not static, it also changes over time as well.

I have seen many merger and acquisition in the industry that were made at much higher than market value. Why is that? It is because sometimes owner just won't sell. There are many reasons for that, some people just like the fact that own something. Some people just believe the companies worth a lot more than the market value and some people life at that time do not need large amount of cash, they need a business.

If Nintendo's market value is say 40 billion and Bill Gates decided to buy it, I bet he will spend a lot more than 40 billion.

Take Traveler$Aetna's Insurance(A subsidiary of Traveler's group which later on merge with Citibank), for example. I had that stock for many years and it was traded at $27 for many years(never moves!). Then one day, Traveler's group decided to buy back all the outstanding shares at something like $40 because it needs to reorganize and restructure. I sold immediately. Eventually, they did acquire all the outstanding shares and become 100% owner of the subsidiary. I always wonder, had I decided not to sell(Hey I just love this stock Okay!, I am irrational, OKay!), how much will they offer me to sell? Between 99.999% owner of a company and a 100% owner of the company the share value of that 0.0001% is much higher than its fair value.

My point is: the irrational part of investors is NORMAL. We should invest assuming all investors are normal however, the NORMAL includes irrational behavior which can not be quantified into a number ...maybe a very large range of numbers at best. The NORM is also changing.

I don't see your point. I don't care if investors overreact in the short term; fundamentals win out in the long term.

The reason we measure "fair value" or "appraised value" is so we know when to exit. If you want to instead try and make money guessing at "the irrational part of investors", good luck. It's just white noise to me.

Hemlock said:
Fishyjoe, would you hold me?

I'll hug you and pray to the gods for blowout earnings in two weeks!

Hemlock, I will throw some change into a fountain and wish for blowout earnings in two weeks too. Take a look at the projected earnings now so you can gauge how quickly Nintendo is growing when the projections are revised. If the estimates are right, we all are going to make some big bucks.

TO: Ishkabibble,

Well, people generally are willing to pay a premium on top of market value for something that is good. This is true regardless it is short term, mid-term and long term. This is true regardless it is stock or not. It can be a cars, coffee, houses, computers, ipod, and wiis. Why is that? I am not sure. Maybe pride, self-identity, or culture related. I don't know. I believe this Psychological element has something to do with the stock market's behavior. AND, it is not factored into stock analysts appraisal value calculation.

My point is this premium is keep increasing and therefore, when I sell Nintendo later on, I will get a margin plus whatever the increasing in the value of the company.

Sure, the standard investing guideline still applies...for long term, and diversify your portfolio.

You can tell because people are just willing to buying Nintendo at very expensive prices. Back in the summer when I bought NTDOY at 40, I really do not care if it is really worth $40. I did not check its P/E ratio or other statistics. I only know that it is a growing industry, and Wii will win the third generation market(because people like my mother-in-law is buying one) and thanks to this Forum. That's enough for me. Regardless the stock analysts says it is worth 20 or 30, people will be happy to pay big bucks on top of that.

I still don't know today if it is really worth 40, but the market is willing to pay 73 for it.

On to the fact that investing in stock is for long term...I believe it does not mean buy a stock and leave it there for a long time. It is that you are WILLING to leave it there for a long term. However, if something permanently bad is happening to the company, or some economical event occurred, then you should re-adjust your position. I am WILLING to hold NTDOY for 5 years or when it hits 500, whichever come first. BUT if the general industry are turning South or Nintendo failed its earning targets for a few quarters straight, I may start to sell.

Vgchartz has moved up, someone is trying to scoop the market over on the google board by looking at the graphs of console sales. Imagine all those misled professional investors pouring millions into Nintendo, who didn't know to check Vgchartz first.