By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - One of the heroes in FF XIII is named... Snow. I am not making that up.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Sounds like a cats name.

Have something against kitty cats? =O.o= But seriously, it does sound like it! XD

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
Khuutra said:
No, Snow is no worse than Cloud.

You people act like these naming conventions in Final Fantasy games that aren't XII are somehow new.

We know they aren't new. And we're entitled to have an opinion that it's worse. And unlike Cloud, this comes after dozens of weird names, and it's lost any sense of otherworldliness that Cloud had going for his name.

Cloud's name wasn't othrworldly, it was just silly. I mean, he was running around with people who had (nominally) actual names. It stuck out then, just as much as it sticks out now.

Only not really. Unconventional names aren't that off-putting once you learn them and get used to them. People's reactions to the name "Cloud" in 1997 were about this bad, maybe worse. God knows I thought it was pretty stupid-sounding.

"Snow" is actually a hella classy name.

Khuutra said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Khuutra said:

You people act like these naming conventions in Final Fantasy games that aren't XII are somehow new.

We know they aren't new. And we're entitled to have an opinion that it's worse. And unlike Cloud, this comes after dozens of weird names, and it's lost any sense of otherworldliness that Cloud had going for his name.

Cloud's name wasn't othrworldly, it was just silly. I mean, he was running around with people who had (nominally) actual names. It stuck out then, just as much as it sticks out now.

Only not really. Unconventional names aren't that off-putting once you learn them and get used to them. People's reactions to the name "Cloud" in 1997 were about this bad, maybe worse. God knows I thought it was pretty stupid-sounding.

I would take it for a girl's name, but for western culture, it's a stretch for a guy's name.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

As hateful as the name may sound to some, i thought Squall was a silly name. But i got use to it and didnt mind cuz he was a cool character. If they make Snow a really cool character then its all good.

If they are going to name a character Snow, then it should be a chick.

Doesn't work as well for a guy IMO.

Around the Network

Cloud is a great name for a great character. When you hear the term Cloud when talking video games you no longer have images of white fluffy pillows, but images of FF VII and the character Cloud and all his badassness. If Snow is a great character you will start to see the same thing. The character makes the name, the name doesn't make the character.

Look at the Characters in Resistance and Uncharted. Both are awesome characters and both have good names for guys. But they have the same name. If I mention Nathan, people wouldn't immediately think of Resistance or Uncharted, because it could be either. The name Cloud gives Final Fantasy very high brand recognition. The same can be done with a name like Snow.

Spankey said:
Xen said:
How is Cloud bad?

Snow, Cloud, Lightning - all crappy weather phenomenae, but at least Lightning can kill a person, which a bit more tough sounding than Cloud. Snow can give you frostbite too now that i think about it, but what's threatening about a little fluffy cloud?

If Snow is a bad name , then so is Cloud.

Well you you need clouds for..that's right lightning and snow  unless you go for that fake stuff

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

LordTheNightKnight said:
Khuutra said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Khuutra said:

I would take it for a girl's name, but for western culture, it's a stretch for a guy's name.

For the limited knowledge that we have, are assuming Snow is a man? 

this is a joke smacking on Square's complete and utter disregard for the fans during the development of the main Final Fantasy games.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Considering how popular FF is in the Western market, SE should probably stop looking for character names in the Big Book of retarded anime character names, and use names which the rest of the world can relate to

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

What's up man hey yo what's up
Yeah what's goin' on here
Sick an' tired of five-oh runnin' up on the block here
You know what I'm sayin'
Yo Snow they came around here lookin' for you the other day
Word word bust it

Informer you no say daddy me Snow me I'll go blame
A licky boom boom down
Detective mon said daddy me Snow me stab someone down the lane
A licky Boom Boom Down.

A licky boom boom down
A licky Boom Boom Down.

Police them come an' now they blow down me door
One him come crawl through through my window
So then they put me in the back the car at the station
From that point on me reach my destination
When the destination reached it was the east detention
Where them whipped down me pants looked up me bottom so

A licky boom boom down
A licky Boom Boom Down.

Bigger they are they think they have more power
They're on the phone me say that on (every) hour
Me for want to use it once an' now me call me lover
Lover who I'll be callin is the one Tammy
An' me love her in me heart down to my belly
Yes me daddy me Snow me I feel cool an' deadly
As the one MC Shan an' the one daddy Snow
Together we-a love 'em as a Tor-Na-Do

A licky boom boom down
A licky Boom Boom Down.

Listen for me you better listen for me now (x2)
When me rockin' the microphone me rock it steady
Yes sir daddy me Snow me are the article don
But in the in an' the out of a dance them they say where you come from
People them say you come from Jamaica
But me born an' raised in the ghetto that's the one I want you to know
Pure black people mon that's all I mon know
Yeah me shoes are tear up an' me toes used to show
Where me born in on the one Toronto so

A licky boom boom down
A licky Boom Boom Down.