By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What Do You Like Most About Global Warming?

Kasz216 said:

Disrupt the carbon cycle process.

Find ways to take much more carbon out of the air then we put in.  For examle genetically engineered seaweed that absorbds CO2 and then just dies.

I believe someone was working on that... or maybe just studying a type of seaweed that absorbs CO2.

Of course another advantage is that this seaweed can even be used in biofuels and the like.

Doesn't that just put the carbon back in the atmosphere?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Kasz216 said:

Disrupt the carbon cycle process.

Find ways to take much more carbon out of the air then we put in.  For examle genetically engineered seaweed that absorbds CO2 and then just dies.

I believe someone was working on that... or maybe just studying a type of seaweed that absorbs CO2.

Of course another advantage is that this seaweed can even be used in biofuels and the like.

Doesn't that just put the carbon back in the atmosphere?

I'm fairly certain it transforms the CO2 into something else... or something.

Seaweed Biofuels are considered one of the best options we have by a lot of people.

That people think we can de-forest half the planet and dramatically increase the level of many known ozone depleting pollutants and yet, somehow, this will have no impact on the planet's climate.

Use your brains people:

http://realclimate.org/

TheRealMafoo said:
Rath said:
appolose said:
Did I see a (reliable) graph of solar activity being closely followed by the Earth's temperature, or am I imagining?

Imagining. Solar activity is one of the things that have been ruled out as a major cause.

I promise you all the money in the world, without question, the #1 factor contributing to global warming is the sun. No question.

Without it, we would be a lot colder ;)

But I of course meant for the modern rise in temperature =O

@Kasz. Isn't that exactly the same solution as the ones proposed for anthropogenic global warming - reduce the greenhouse gas in the atmosphere (whether through cutting emissions or through removing stuff already there)?

i like the fact that is fake! yay!

Around the Network

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2008/10/20/lorne-gunter-thirty-years-of-warmer-temperatures-go-poof.aspx

Any proponents of global warming want to take a crack at that? Myself, I'm not persuaded yet that there is a man-made problem or there isn't, but I'm always skeptical of scientific claims not based on actual observations.

As for the argument overall, I guess to turn it on its head, what I hate most about it is the morons who cry over and over "the issue is settled! the issue is settled!" and do a disservice to critical thinking and scientific thought unfettered by political influence/bias.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

I think the population of Winnipeg Canada is 105% for global warming. The other 5% are people who live elsewhere but feel sorry for them in the winter.

shit the warm weather will be nice!

maybe i'll get into the air conditioner business

Rath said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Rath said:
appolose said:
Did I see a (reliable) graph of solar activity being closely followed by the Earth's temperature, or am I imagining?

Imagining. Solar activity is one of the things that have been ruled out as a major cause.

I promise you all the money in the world, without question, the #1 factor contributing to global warming is the sun. No question.

Without it, we would be a lot colder ;)

But I of course meant for the modern rise in temperature =O

@Kasz. Isn't that exactly the same solution as the ones proposed for anthropogenic global warming - reduce the greenhouse gas in the atmosphere (whether through cutting emissions or through removing stuff already there)?

Indeed.  The difference is that people who support anthropogenic global warming greatly underestimate the amount of greenhouse gases that are produced natuarally.

At one point it's even been suggested that manmade greenhouse gases are somehow "worse" then regular gases despite having the same atomic structure to explain this.

People just don't talk about it anymore though.

I think of it like being on a sinking ship.  Sure you could of left the faucet on... and that is going to stop the bathroom from flooding... but your ignoring the huge hole in the wall.

I like that although 50% of all animal species could be extinct, millions (not thousands) of people could die in africa most likely, sea levels rise flooding NY and London, arable land reduced to nothing, forests are erased destroying CO2 capture ability and diseases from warmer regions infect the rest of the world, people (including governments, business and citizens) probably won't even change their habits.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.