By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will PS3 ever get hacked?

Eventually... But currently I don't even think it's worth it if they were able to hack it perfectly right now...

Blank Bluray's are expensive.
BD Burners are expensive and not widely used yet.
Games are getting bigger and bigger. So long downloads. [Have you seen some of the 360 game downloads? HUGE]
Is there a confirmed way to unbrick a bricked ps3??? There's no pandora crap going on like the psp.... yet anyway...
PS3's firmware is most likely much more complex than what we've seen on the psp, just look at firmware issues people have on the 2 systems and compare........

Honestly if there was a way to Pirate games on the ps3 how many people would even consider it seeing all this hassle???

EDIT: The more I think about it, it seems the ps3 will never get hacked.... It's security is too tight, even the cell has some complex security on it's own from what I understand. If dev's had a hard time in the consoles first year to port, and develop games what's the chances an average non-console oriented engineer has at not only hacking it, but programming custom firmware effectively for it???

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

From what I understand my friend on psn had a disc with some interesting apps that ran on the ps3. But nothing really there along the lines of downloading and playing illegal ps3 games.

4 ≈ One

As a general rule, every console ever created has enough security holes that it is only a matter of time before someone discovers one and exploits it. What determines how quickly a console is hacked tends to be how profitable it would be to hack that console. Things that impact how profitable it would be to sell a mod chip for the PS3 are:

1. Small userbase; its all about percentages, there is a certain percentage of users who are really interested in a 'crack' for a console and a smaller userbase just means there are less potential customers.
  2. Linux; being that people can play around with their PS3, and produce all of the (useless) homebrew applications they desire right out of the box, Sony has limited one of the more legitimate uses for a 'crack' and kept many intelligent people from looking for one.
  3. Large disc images; one of many reasons Blu-Ray has impacted this ... The average user has no desire to download a 25GB file in order to play a game. Without a way to play unsigned images, or to sign an image, the large file sizes contribute to limiting piracy.
  4. Expensive Media; How many people want to spend $20 to find out whether they actually got Metal Gear Solid 4, Barbie Horse Adventures, or 25GB of garbage data on their hard-drive? Until Blu-Ray prices come down, or you can boot from the hard-drive, it is expensive for someone to steal PS3 games.
  5. Online connectivity; As long as your system gets a large portion of its 'value' from online features, and there is the risk of being caught in some way, there are a lot of people who won't take the risk to modify their system.

I'm certain there are others, but any three of these are enough reasons to keep interest in piracy very low on the PS3.

Sure it will...

Though the gen will be over by then...

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

As a general rule, every console ever created has enough security holes that it is only a matter of time before someone discovers one and exploits it. What determines how quickly a console is hacked tends to be how profitable it would be to hack that console. Things that impact how profitable it would be to sell a mod chip for the PS3 are:

1. Small userbase; its all about percentages, there is a certain percentage of users who are really interested in a 'crack' for a console and a smaller userbase just means there are less potential customers.
  2. Linux; being that people can play around with their PS3, and produce all of the (useless) homebrew applications they desire right out of the box, Sony has limited one of the more legitimate uses for a 'crack' and kept many intelligent people from looking for one.
  3. Large disc images; one of many reasons Blu-Ray has impacted this ... The average user has no desire to download a 25GB file in order to play a game. Without a way to play unsigned images, or to sign an image, the large file sizes contribute to limiting piracy.
  4. Expensive Media; How many people want to spend $20 to find out whether they actually got Metal Gear Solid 4, Barbie Horse Adventures, or 25GB of garbage data on their hard-drive? Until Blu-Ray prices come down, or you can boot from the hard-drive, it is expensive for someone to steal PS3 games.
  5. Online connectivity; As long as your system gets a large portion of its 'value' from online features, and there is the risk of being caught in some way, there are a lot of people who won't take the risk to modify their system.

I'm certain there are others, but any three of these are enough reasons to keep interest in piracy very low on the PS3.

I agree with all your points except the "small userbase" arguement. Userbase is usually a non-factor as hacking usually even opens the door to more consumers lol. Also the very fact that no hack exists in any form for the ps3 at present means zero competition so a chip would definitely be worth it at present. However, the costs of the other factors you mention makes anyone who considers buying a ps3 modchip hack at this point...not too smart.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Once more people have Blu-ray burners and blank Blu-ray disks become cheaper I'm sure it will. Plus you need to have super fast internet.

I'm very much glad to see that. My friends here finally moved on to buying games!

OT: I don't think you'll see it hacked soon.

Also sony lets you install an OS, people put Linux on there.

HappySqurriel said:

And funny enough things like trophies will not encourage people to use hacked PS3 as they need the online for trophies bragging :P

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !