By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - blu ray cuts down on piracy

blackstar said:
ps3 sales will never pick up in some countries unless it gets hacked, over 100$ for one game , give me a break!

The PS3 hardware costs Sony money, I don't think they care too much about pirates. I think from Sony's perspective, the 360 and PC can have them. People not being able to afford a 60 dollar game which costed tens of millions to produce aren't likely to be able to afford a HDTV or good audio setup, they could just stick to PS2 which is at least profitable to Sony with or without piracy.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

There's no need to speculate past hardware. We have no idea if Blu Ray will have an effect on piracy because nobody has hacked the console yet.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

thats exactly my point, if nobody has been able to do it than that means its working, plus it would take hours to burn a blu ray game.

TBH I don't know if Blu ray burners/media will ever get affordable enough this gen for piracy. Maybe in time for the PS4 or if MS uses BD in their next console. Burners are dropping in price but the media is still ~$15-20 a disc.

I think with the SATA drives that it will go the route of playing games off the HD before disc media but even that is still probably a long ways off.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
thejuicingamer said:
thats exactly my point, if nobody has been able to do it than that means its working, plus it would take hours to burn a blu ray game.

1. Blu Ray has nothing to do with why the PS3 is not able to be pirated. Also if you had any idea about what was being worked on, Blu Ray has nothing to do with it. Hackers are tying to find a way to load the games onto the hard drive and play straight from there. Blu Ray is a non factor.

2. Do you have a link stating it would take hours to burn a Blu Ray game? Are the burners especially slow or something?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

Skip all the talk about hacking your PS3, or the Cell's architecture.....PS3 games are just big. I mean....would you really want to sit and wait to download 50GB to play MGS4?

In third Countries like mines (Lebanon),, unhacked consoles are hard to penetrate the market (N64 for example),,, But the PS3 is a weird thing,, althought it costs a lot (in the 500 $) and its games are expensive (new games go as far as 85$ and 95 $,i bought MGS4 for 100 $ and thats the regular version),, it is doing great here,, games are selling a lot, moreover a new market for used games is created (in the 30 - 40 $) which is fantastic for the limited budget gamer !!!
Now if only the PS3 comes down to the 300 $, it's guaranteed to take the torch from its big brother (PS2) !!

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3), White Knight Chronicles (PS3), PES 2010 (PS3), Killzone 2 (PS3)

Games to Finish: Silent hill Homecoming (PS3), Valkyria Chronicles (PS3), Oblivion (PS3)

largedarryl said:
I'm sorry, but do marketers from Sony and the Blu Ray consortium make accounts on here to talk up the PS3 and Bluray?

I don't think so.  Sony seems to have the ability to brainwash people so there isn't really a need for that.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

The PS3 was hacked some time ago but its just so damn expensive its not even funny.

BMaker11 said:
Skip all the talk about hacking your PS3, or the Cell's architecture.....PS3 games are just big. I mean....would you really want to sit and wait to download 50GB to play MGS4?

umm it takes maximum of 30 mins to download 50GB

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints