By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I don't think the PS3 can hit middle-high 5 mil consoles by the end of the year....

LeroyBrown said:
Nintendo entered the Video game business with the very first video game system, the Odyssy, which they distributed in Japan.

They continued on with thier own consoles, the GAme & Watch handhelds and Color TV Game home units in the second generation in Japan.

But these first two generations were still dominated by Atari.

Basically Nintendo has only been a dominant force for two generations, 3 and 4, Sony, 5 and 6, it works in two year cycles pretty much.

Atari = Gen 1-2
Nintendo = Gen 3-4
Sony = Gen 5-6

We may think of Nintendo as this time tested legend but they're really only been top dogs for the same length of time as Sony has, each owning two generations, and before them, Atari owning two generations.

Except (of course) they're on their third generation of dominance in the Handheld market (which they have dominated for 15 years) and they're one of the largest (in terms of sales) publishers in the world.

Around the Network

But Nintendo(until Sony and the PSP)was the only successful handheld making company and noone thought they could get that title until Sony released tht PSP which is a success in that it makes a profit but the PSP is the flash in the pan for handhelds and Nintendo i think are trying to make handhelds and home consoles one which shouldnt happen because handhelds are small and have shorter faster paced games and the hardware isnt as good home consoles have lengthy games i.e.a good RPG(FinalFantasy) even a FPS can be really long.If Nintendo makes console and handheld gaming one then noone will have any eyes left because we will all be playing FFXV in 10hour sessions and taking a break to get stronger glasses.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Soriku said:
Nonquihote said:
roadkillers said:
I wounder if there will be another million selling game this year. Beside Resistence and MotorStorm.

If they are relesed in Europe in 07

Uncharted
Rachet and Clank
Heavenly
GTA4
Need for Speed Pro Street

Safe bets.

When making this thread I was taking those games in mind as 08 releases.

There all 07 releases.

Soriku said:
ckmlb said:
You're wrong because you're ignoring two things. Holiday sales boost is very big and the PS3 has had 3 exclusives released on it so far in the US in total.

In the next 5 months, it's getting like 13 or so exclusives so games + holidays will boost sales.

Add to that the price cut (even if it is temporary which I don't think it will be) and you got yourself a PS3 that should easily reach 7-8 million worldwide if not more by the end of this year.

Next year definitely looks to be a bigger year for the PS3 with more price cutting and two huge franchises coming in the form of FF XIII and MGS 4. Also, Killzone is going to be pushed by Sony a lot and if it turns out as good as is hoped then that will be a big seller as well, specifically in the US.

3 games won't sell 14 mil consoles to catch Wii. Neither will SSBB, SMG, MP3 which will sell better. Those game's sales are dependant on PS3 sales. At least FF is. MGS/Killzone will do well in US and Europe but fail in Japan.
You will be surpised how well Killzone does in Japan and MGS is also generally well recieved in Japan.
Sony can possibly take the US if Killzone2 is BETTER than Halo3 which i have no doubt that it will be in my opinion.The US loves sports and FPS games so Killzone2 will make a massive BANG and sell threw the roof.LBP will make a BANG everywhere and sell tons of consoles if you think it wont youre kidding yourself watch the trailers and stuff its a game aimed at everyone not just kids.

@Soriku:
Thats abit more reasonable but all those games will sell more than 1million units and your still not taking in the account that the Christmas period is there and its PS3's first Christmas in Europe and i know alot of people getting one at Christmas or when the price cut comes which will be Christmas.

Around the Network
Rath said:

That can be applied to the industry, Sony has been killing Nintendo for over a decade theres no way the under dog nintedo will win. Wii is like a flash-in-the-pan athlete that has one or two unbelievable seasons then totally dissepears into nothing.

Wait, what? Nintendo dominated ENTIRELY during the NES-SNES era, moreso than PS ever did. There is no way a company that has been around for as long as Nintendo, they've been around since the second generation - Sony didnt get in on the act till the fifth, can be considered flash in the pan.

Maybe there is an argument for the NES era, but definitely not the SNES era.

SNES= 49 million versus Genesis=30.75 million.

On the other hand,

PS=102 million versus N64 and Saturn combined= 42 million

PS2=118 million so far versus GC and Xbox combined= 46 million

On a sidenote: I wonder why there aren't any Sega Master System numbers on this site since there are NES numbers. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

1million for Japan a country smaller than the UK yep thats pretty good.

Soriku said:
ckmlb said:
You're wrong because you're ignoring two things. Holiday sales boost is very big and the PS3 has had 3 exclusives released on it so far in the US in total.

In the next 5 months, it's getting like 13 or so exclusives so games + holidays will boost sales.

Add to that the price cut (even if it is temporary which I don't think it will be) and you got yourself a PS3 that should easily reach 7-8 million worldwide if not more by the end of this year.

Next year definitely looks to be a bigger year for the PS3 with more price cutting and two huge franchises coming in the form of FF XIII and MGS 4. Also, Killzone is going to be pushed by Sony a lot and if it turns out as good as is hoped then that will be a big seller as well, specifically in the US.

3 games won't sell 14 mil consoles to catch Wii. Neither will SSBB, SMG, MP3 which will sell better. Those game's sales are dependant on PS3 sales. At least FF is. MGS/Killzone will do well in US and Europe but fail in Japan.

Where did I say these will sell 14 million consoles right after they are released? I said the PS3 will sell better than 7 million by the end of this year and these games early next year will be a big boost post holidays for the PS3 which the other systems don't seem to have (both MS and Nintendo have their biggest games coming out this holiday season).

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Nonquihote said:
roadkillers said:
I wounder if there will be another million selling game this year. Beside Resistence and MotorStorm.

If they are relesed in Europe in 07

Uncharted
Rachet and Clank
Heavenly
GTA4
Need for Speed Pro Street

Safe bets.

You have an interesting definition of "safe bet". Only GTAIV is really a safe bet to hit a million. Maybe Ratchet and Clank. The other games are possible (I doubt NFS) but are by no means safe bets.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Most consoles force there Big franchises out before Christmas i.e.Halo3 and MP3 and SSBB. Sony has taken a different aproach and is releasing most of its big franchise after Christmas and its new IP's before Christmas to contend with games that people know will sell more than 1million and Sony has a load of possible million sellers but more games so it all levels out and most of these games are looking to get good reviews and sell well.