By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why do 12 million PS3 owners not have MGS4?

Kantor said:
Xen said:
The same thing that keeps 114 mln of PS2 owners from having MGS2.

Which is what exactly?

Because its not worth buying for them. The gameplay does not have universal appeal. Game reviews and your personal opinion are not close to generalizable enough to predict which games will or will not sell. The majority of video game players simply have no interest in playing a Metal Gear Solid game.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

Because I wait for the extra editon (Existence).

because is a game for hardcore gamers and possibly fan of the series...

Because, whilst being a AAA title, it never had the mass market appeal of say a Halo or Gran Turismo (who are both very different kinds of AAA themselves, but sell well).

Also I'm guessing because of the pick up and play appeal MGS4 doesn't have.

Dolla Dolla said:
The Metal Gear Solid franchise caters to a very specific audience. It is not casual friendly.

this here is the answer, the thing is in this game, even if you can do anything you shouldnt, you shopuld do what snake would, and that takes patience. Also is very story driven.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Around the Network

The game isn't for everyone. And it is very story driven.

4 ≈ One

because the game is too good and we need to play crap game like non metal gears games?

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Kantor said:

What is it that keeps you from buying MGS4? The trailer looks incredible, it has a Gamespot and IGN 10/10, an IGN UK 9.9/10 and an IGN AU 9.5/10, a metascore of 94 and ONLINE!

It's somewhat creepy that more PS3 owners currently own an average racer (MotorStorm) than one of the best games of this gen (MGS4)

I'm not expecting everybody with a PS3 to own it, but is half the audience really that far fetched? 7 million people?

So again, for people who don't own it, what keeps you from buying MGS4?

To put it in perspective, MGS2 and MGS3 sold roughly 5.5m and 4m copies on the PS2, and that's the PS2 that has a 100+ million units sold worldwide. So MGS4's attach rate on the PS3 is actually far more impressive than MGS2 and MGS3. And to answer your question, it is pretty far-fectched to expect any game to have an attach rate of 50% on any system. I don't think you'll find more than a few games in existence that even comes close to that kind of attach rate.

Maybe because IGN and gamespot don't matter at all.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

@jacks81x
you hit the nail on the head, no game will ever have a 50 % attach rate unless it is bundled( Wii Sports).

ot, mgs has a certain audience.