By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I figured out why Nintendo became so dominant in Japan

KBG29 said:
I think Nintendo just knows what the market wants, and does a good job mareting it. The Wii is really nothing new as far as games go. A couple of things are neat like Wii sports, and FPS controls. Games like Mario Galexy, Zelda, Super Smash Brothers, and Mario Kart have really done nothing new in controls. From my experiance the only differance between Wii and PS3 (control wise) is the distance at which I hold my hands apart. Besides the games I metioned first, gameplay stays pretty similar beyond those. As far as Wii Fit goes. Wii Fit is not a console game. Wii Fit is the same gimmic that has been sold since the early 1990's. Wii Fit just marks the first time a console maker has slapped there name brand on a generic product.

So really I think the only problem with Japan is Nintendo. Sure they are making money and selling software, but it is really hurting games.I give them credit for having a good gimic to sell consoles on. It works very well and they have broght themselves back to a position were they can do awsome things agian next gen. With that, I hope they will get back to gaming and move all of their new fans on to the quality of games we have been playing since about 1997. Right now they can continue to sell low quality first and third party titles. Please let them stop once they offer a new system though.

What's hurting games is a wii port from a third party like farcry instincts. In japan or anywhere in the world.

Go buy Metroid OTHER M!

Wii code: 6775-1034-2238-1634

PSN: birdie93      XBL: luthor93

3DS: 3909-7597-9889

You can add me, I won't stop you!

My website: www.fight4custom.com

Around the Network

I've never seen that many words in a Rol thread.

RolStoppable said:
leo-j said:
Then why are video game sales still declining in Japan..

What are you talking about? The decline has been stopped and reversed.

2008 may end up below the 2007 numbers, but then you could only call it a new decline in game sales starting and 2009 will show if this holds true. But 2006-2009 could just as well look similar in total software sales fluctuations to 1996-1999. We'll have to wait and see.

2009 will be a year where we have DQ9 & {holds breath} FFXIII

its a FF & DQ year....not likely to be a decline then

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

not bad Rol, btw, I wonder how a platformer would be if you could play it with the balance board.

On another note, is it just coincidence that you used almost the same title as was used in the Smash Bros thread?

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

KBG29 said:
I think Nintendo just knows what the market wants, and does a good job mareting it. The Wii is really nothing new as far as games go. A couple of things are neat like Wii sports, and FPS controls. Games like Mario Galexy, Zelda, Super Smash Brothers, and Mario Kart have really done nothing new in controls. From my experiance the only differance between Wii and PS3 (control wise) is the distance at which I hold my hands apart. Besides the games I metioned first, gameplay stays pretty similar beyond those. As far as Wii Fit goes. Wii Fit is not a console game. Wii Fit is the same gimmic that has been sold since the early 1990's. Wii Fit just marks the first time a console maker has slapped there name brand on a generic product.

So really I think the only problem with Japan is Nintendo. Sure they are making money and selling software, but it is really hurting games.I give them credit for having a good gimic to sell consoles on. It works very well and they have broght themselves back to a position were they can do awsome things agian next gen. With that, I hope they will get back to gaming and move all of their new fans on to the quality of games we have been playing since about 1997. Right now they can continue to sell low quality first and third party titles. Please let them stop once they offer a new system though.

First of all, none of these games (except Mario Kart) are the new ones expanding the market. Galaxy and Zelda were relative flops (they're old experiences), while Mario Kart does use new controls - the Wii wheel.

I won't even start with that last paragraph... lol. Nintendo is hurting gaming, yet the PS3, an unaffordable console is moving things forward. I get it.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
nintendo_fanboy said:
not bad Rol, btw, I wonder how a platformer would be if you could play it with the balance board.

On another note, is it just coincidence that you used almost the same title as was used in the Smash Bros thread?

The "I figured out why" threads are my creation which has been copied twice already. "Nintendo became so dominant in Japan" is already the seventh outing of my series.

Damn, I'm just missing way too much stuff that is going on on this site. What were the others about?

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

RolStoppable said:
KBG29 said:

I lol'd.

If you are going to make jokes, think of something original. I give you an example.

Order of new console hardware you should look to develop for if you are going to make a game for the Japanese market:

1. Wii
2. Balance Board
3. PS3
4. 360

Hey, it was competing with the PS3, but after Chuck Norris was seen using it, Japan jumped all over the Balance Board, and made it a sales beast. Userbase always wins right?

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

RolStoppable said:
KBG29 said:

I lol'd.

If you are going to make jokes, think of something original. I give you an example.

Order of new console hardware you should look to develop for if you are going to make a game for the Japanese market:

1. Wii
2. Balance Board
3. PS3
4. 360

Here is the complete list

1) DS
2) Wii
3) PS2
4) PSP (edit)
5) PC
6) Cell Phones
7) Balance Board
8) Virtual Console
9) Wiiware
10) Tamagotchi
11) PS3
12) Dreamcast
13) Xbox 360

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

^PSP?

Xen said:
^PSP?

I knew I forgot something. Thank god it was nothing relevant (Yes that was some shameless trolling).

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."