By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - More David Reeves Goodness: Price cuts "annoy" people

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=506

Q: So why didn’t we get a PS3 price-cut in the UK?

David Reeves: If you’re a consumer — and we introduced the PS3 in March for £425 or 599 Euros – let’s say you bought one at the end of April and have been using it, playing Resistance: Fall of Man and MotorStorm. We’ve only been on the market for three and a bit months. Our thought process was: “Wait a minute – we’re actually not doing too badly – we’re not selling as well as Wii or DS – but seasonality-wise, compared to, say, PS2 at the same time we launched it in 2001, we’re actually doing quite well on a regional level”. It’s exactly the target that we sought. July is not really a gamers’ month unless you get a big, big title. So we thought if we reduced the price, we’d annoy a lot of people. We did think about it, but we also felt that it wasn’t doing that badly. In the US, they’ve been going for more than six months, so they took the decision that going down in price was a better thing to do than a value pack.

Around the Network

Wha?

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Annoy a lot of consumers who had just bought one?
Hes probably right actually.

It annoy's NO ONE! If they bought it a the full price its there problem they were taking that risk of a price drop comming and wasting 100 bucks. It may piss a couple of people off but for the people it pisses off why didnt you just wait for a price drop if you wanted one?

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Rath said:
Annoy a lot of consumers who had just bought one?
Hes probably right actually.

I don't quite understand that thinking.

Early adopters KNOW what they're going into. They put the money down full well knowing that soon it will be cheaper. They believe having the thing earlier is worth the extra money they pay. This is the price of being an early adopter.

No matter when they drop the price, there will be a group of people who just purchased the product who will be pissed off that it is cheaper. Someone has to buy the thing just before a price cut/new model is announced.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network

I guess price cuts will always annoy consumers who had just bought one...that's inevitable...

Still, it's better to cut the price and get more buyers, and just deal with a few annoyed PS3 buyers I would say...

I agree it's probably not the best time in the European PS3's life to get a price cut...but it's pretty annoying I'm sure to see the rest of the world get price cuts while you have to wait. Europe gets everything later I guess.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Well sony forum place has become nothing but a place for wii owners to make anti sonyt threads.

FishyJoe you ever plan on posting something that is not anti sony, yes i know you love to post kiss the wiis butt threads as much as possible.

More importantly, You need to worry more about annoying people who don't have your console, not those who already own it.

TheFogOfWar said:
Well sony forum place has become nothing but a place for wii owners to make anti sonyt threads.

FishyJoe you ever plan on posting something that is not anti sony, yes i know you love to post kiss the wiis butt threads as much as possible.

Shut up already.

This is a "Sony Discussion" forum, not an "ignore everything bad about Sony" forum. Rather than trolling why don't you go post something constructive? 

TheFogOfWar said:

Hi Celb?

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"