By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is drinking from a straw feminine?

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Some of the manliest men in the world suck penises. You guys know that right? Tell them they're feminine and they'll break you in half. Seriously, some of the Queer guys in Hollywood and San Francisco look like Mike Haggar. They could drink your blood from a straw after giving you a spinning piledriver.

Someone seems defensive.

Calm down. Don't get all pissed when someone makes a joke.

Or is it just jokes about homosexuals that bother you?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network
dtewi said:
Some of the manliest men in the world suck penises. You guys know that right? Tell them they're feminine and they'll break you in half. Seriously, some of the Queer guys in Hollywood and San Francisco look like Mike Haggar. They could drink your blood from a straw after giving you a spinning piledriver.

Someone seems defensive.

Or is it just jokes about homosexuals that bother you?

You've got to be kidding me....

dtewi said:

Someone seems defensive.

Or is it just jokes about homosexuals that bother you

I get pissed when people make jokes comparing women and homosexuals, because those jokes are part of a hateful phallocentric worldview that says to penetrate with your genitals is powerful and good and to be respected, and to be penetrated by genitals is weak, passive, feminine, and to be made fun of.  It's views like this that make it legal for a man to bone another man in the ass, but the man he boned is now gay and gets arrested.  Many cultures still treat people like that.  Being on the receiving end is the bad thing and deserves the punishment, because it is somehow horrible and filthy to be on the receiving end, or to "play the woman's role," because seriously, fuck women.  All homophobia comes from a hate for women, and it's not funny.

Someone has to be insecure to think that.

No it's not feminine. It's just a plastic tube, geez! Even if it was, who cares? You won't stop doing something cause someone doesn't like it!

I'm not bashing your gf but, it's a bit shallow and insensitive to say things like that.

Fernando said:
It depend on the beverage...

Coke and juice is fine with straw... but water, beer and wine is kinda femenine with a straw.

Right on. There is nothing feminine about a straw.

Around the Network

Straws are fine.

Especially at restaurants with glasses.

Sipping on the glass is like asking for a yeast infection or cold, or pneumonia, hepatitis, etc.

Straws are sanitary.

How do you drink stuff from McDonalds then? Put your lips where someone who didn't wash their hand has been? fuck that.

Stick a straw in her eye and tell her to shut up.
Then ask for another straw beccause your straw is currently in here eye.

Are you serious? Its just a ruddy straw lol. I'll drink however the hell I want. I couldn't care less if you subscribe to freud and think its a phallic symbol or something along those lines. Its just a piece of plastic. If you seriously judge your manhood by ones relationship to such a frivolous thing, you need to get a grip.

@The Ghost of RubangB

Whether you like it or not, one of the main reasons homosexual men are so often associated with being effeminate is because a large portion of men who are openly homosexual are very effeminate. Obviously there are exceptions but I suspect that the majority of gay men who are not so effeminate that people assume they’re gay probably are very quiet about their sexuality around most people.

At the same time most straight-guys (if they ever get past the insecure teenage phase) will have some effeminate traits. The reason for this is that some acceptance of your feminine side actually helps with women; in fact, the guy I know who is the best with women is typically assumed to be gay by most guys because of how girly he is.

The thing that bothers me about your reaction, more than anything else, is that you make the assumption that drives insecure teenage-boys to choose how they harass other boys. Your assumption is that being effeminate is something undesirable, and that pointing out that a group of people are often more effeminate than typical men is an insult.

HappySqurriel said:

@The Ghost of RubangB

Whether you like it or not, one of the main reasons homosexual men are so often associated with being effeminate is because a large portion of men who are openly homosexual are very effeminate. Obviously there are exceptions but I suspect that the majority of gay men who are not so effeminate that people assume they’re gay probably are very quiet about their sexuality around most people.

At the same time most straight-guys (if they ever get past the insecure teenage phase) will have some effeminate traits. The reason for this is that some acceptance of your feminine side actually helps with women; in fact, the guy I know who is the best with women is typically assumed to be gay by most guys because of how girly he is.

The thing that bothers me about your reaction, more than anything else, is that you make the assumption that drives insecure teenage-boys to choose how they harass other boys. Your assumption is that being effeminate is something undesirable, and that pointing out that a group of people are often more effeminate than typical men is an insult.

I wasn't assuming being effeminate is undesirable.  I'm saying that's how the majority thinks, and that's why we have a heterosexist society that treats both homosexual men and all women like second-class citizens.

I'm effeminate as hell and know there's nothing wrong with it.  Soooooooooooo many people think I'm gay just because my avatar is naked and because I defend gays when people randomly start bashing them on the internet.  I've actually been socked in the face for wearing a hot pink wifebeater in Boston.  It almost happened a second time, where a guy was running at me to kick my ass for wearing a lilac sweater, but I ducked into a crowd.

You don't have to be out of the closet or even gay to be openly effeminate.  Some "traditionally manly" homosexual men are very much out of the closet.  And some "traditionally feminine" homosexual men are very much in the closet.

What I'm saying is that all stereotypes according to somebody's sex, gender, sexuality, or effeminate-ness are bullshit, and they're all anti-woman.  In any modern English dictionary the word "manly" comprises of many good traits, and the word "womanly" is a huge insult, either to men or to women.