By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Island of Forgotten Gaming Mascots!

Alex Kidd

Description:

Alex Kidd, a video game character, is a monkey-like boy with big ears in a red jumpsuit and was commonly regarded as Sega's mascot until Sonic the Hedgehog debuted in 1991.

Last seen in Alex Kidd in Shinobi World (1990)

Current status:Various cameos and collection games (Sega Superstar Tennis, Genesis Collection) with buzz about new game in development.

Bonk

Description:

Bonk is a video game character from NEC's TurboGrafx-16 console. Known in Japan as "PC-Genjin" and as "BC Kid" in PAL territories, Bonk was a mascot for NEC's console.

Last seen in Super Bonk (1995)

Current Status: Dead with various cameos such as Saturn Bomberman and Mobile phone games.

Bubsy

Description:

Bubsy is a series of platform video games released by Accolade for the SNES, Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, Atari Jaguar, the PC and PlayStation in the early and mid-1990s.

Last seen in Bubsy 3D (1997)

Current status: Dead due to catastrophic failure of Bubsy 3D

Earthworm Jim

Description: Earthworm Jim is a series of side-scrolling platforming video games. First released in 1994, the series is noted for its shooting/platforming gameplay and humorous and edgy style

Last seen in Earthworm Jim 3D(1999)

Current Status: Alive. Earthworm Jim 4 has been announced

Gex

Description: Gex is a platformer video game series, developed by Crystal Dynamics, that details the adventures of a gecko named Gex.

Last seen in Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko (1999)

Current Status: Permanent hibernation, but chances of return to gaming do exist as both Crystal Dynamics and EDIOS still exist and own the rights to the series.

Nights

Description:

Nights is a video game character and the protagonist of the critically acclaimed Nights into Dreams... and Nights: Journey of Dreams, developed and published by Sega.

Last seen in Nights: Journey of Dreams (2007)

Curent Status: With a commercially failed sequel, looks like the end of the road for Nights. Cameos will surelly happen however.

Rayman

Description:

Rayman is an anthropomorphic video game character, and is the official mascot of the video game publisher Ubisoft.

Last seen in Rayman: Hoodlums' Revenge (2005)

Curent status: Alive but no major game announcement.

Shinobi

Description:

Along with Alex Kidd and Sonic the Hedgehog, the Shinobi ninja has long been one of Sega's flagship characters, acting as a mascot for a short time in the late 1980's when the ninja boom was in full force. Its games are a showcase of Sega's technical accomplishment.

Last seen in Nightshade (2004)

Curent status: Ninjas never die...

Ulala (Space Channel 5)

Description:

Ulala is a character in the Space Channel 5 series developed by United Game Artists under the direction of Tetsuya Mizuguchi and published by Sega.

Last seen in Space Channel 5: Ulala's Cosmic Attack (2003)

Curent status: Alive with cameos but missing in action. However...

"According to an article on Eurogamer.net, several "Higher Ups" at Sega are pushing for a new SC5 game to be made for a next-generation console. However, producer Takashi Yuda says that "nothing has been decided."Series producer Tetsuya Mizuguchi has expressed interest in another Space Channel 5 sequel for the Nintendo Wii, although no plans appear to be in the works at this time."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Channel_5#Future_of_the_series

Vectorman

Description:

Vectorman is a shooter platform game developed by BlueSky Software and published by Sega for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis. Vectorman is both a critical and commercial success, becoming a Genesis Mega hit.

Last seen in Vectorman 2 (1996)

Current status: Dead. Game announcement in 2003 was canceled. Various Genesis collections...

Zool

Description:

Zool is a British computer game originally produced for the Amiga by Gremlin Graphics as a rival to Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog.

Last seen in Zool 2 (1994)

Current status: Dead with Amiga/Commodore collapsing in 1995.

Make other suggestions and I'll add more... ;)

Around the Network

Croc
Commander Keen
Crash to some extent
Pac-man for sure
Parappa the Rapper

Pixel Art can be fun.

Glover! =D

The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon (All Major Consoles, DS) is actually coming out in 4 days.

But other than that, there was Polygon Man, the Playstation's original mascot who never took off. Wonder why... I mean look at him! When I think of the perfect mascot, A severed floating purple head definitely comes to mind.

Polygon man is ugly... and not kid friendly.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

I thought this thread was about Captain Rainbow...

Anyhow, Nights can't be forgotten, since he just got his own game last year (unfortunately...). Although as you point out, he may never take flight again.

New Spyro game's coming.

I hold out hope for Ulala, dammit!

Bubsy deserves to die. I want my precious childhood time back.

And I nominate Roger Wilco for the list. Great times were had, but they're long since over.

RolStoppable said:
I thought a new Spyro game is in the works, I've seen screenshots of it a few weeks ago.

Ooops...true new Spyro is coming. Hes kinda washed up tho at this point. In any case...ill take him down in a bit.

Smeags said:
The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon (All Major Consoles, DS) is actually coming out in 4 days.

But other than that, there was Polygon Man, the Playstation's original mascot who never took off. Wonder why...

MORE ?!

This Eternal Night crap is not too old. Now there's more?!

He deserves to die already.

As for some of those, they're not only forgotten, but some I've never even heard of. Lol.

When was the last Rayman game? (not raving rabbits)

WiiStation360 said:
When was the last Rayman game? (not raving rabbits)

'03.. I think. With Rayman 3.