By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Return of the CHUMP box! 9800GT, 4gb ram, 2.7ghz AMD 5200+, $348 + shipping

Some random cheapass computer case: $15.99 after MIR.

Sigma power engine 535W, somehow decent: $27 after MIR

Total Case: $43

Amd Athlon X2 5200+ 2.7ghz (Combo with GFX card): $46

Foxconn mATX board: $40 after MIR

Total motherboard/CPU: $86

Corsair 2+2GB DDR2 800: $45 After MIR

EVGA Geforce 9800gt: $99 After MIR

250GB Seagata HDD OEM: $50

LiteOn Dvd Burner: $24

Subtotal: $348

Total with Vista 64: $447

The goal of this design it to maximise price/performance, chumping out when applicable on different parts to maximise gaming performance. This design is a little different to the earlier one, I sacraficed a little of the GPU power to add a much more powerful PSU which has 34A over the 12v rails and 2x6 pin PCI-E adapters.

You can chump it out still further by using a 5000+ CPU and a Gigabyte 9600 GT and save a further $26 but I feel that the price/performance offered by the EVGA is worth the extra $26 and as a bonus you get an extra 100mhz of CPU power. Furthermore you can step up if you want within 90 days if an incredible cheap GPU comes out or you just want to spread out your purchase a little more.

Now for the encore, the chump box for those who don't want to hold a screw driver.

Compaq - Athlon X2 4800, 3gb ram, Vista Premium 32bit, 320gb HDD: $399

MSI HD 4670 with 512 mb ram: $65 after MIR

Total chump box 2 W/4670: $465

So there you have it, two chump boxes with a whole lot of win.

Tease.

Around the Network

This PC would cost $1000 here =/

Xen said:
This PC would cost $1000 here =/

That sucks! Where do you live?

Tease.

Israel.

But then again, everything is expensive here. The PS3 and the 360 are tied at the same price - about $750.

It's sad really. And even sadder knowing the fact that I need a new PC.

Nice work for a decent set up. Why spend out the ass for the best performance possible when you can pick and choose for some great deals on a computer that can perform well enough.

Around the Network

Question for ya Squill. What is a chump box? (My guess is a quality cheap computer?). I will be looking for a new computer soon and I was going to just go to my local best buy, but this blows anything there out of the water for the price. Is this a special occasion or are these deals all over the internet. Thanks for any advice as my current computer has the original windows 98, a 6 gig harddrive, 56 megs of ram and like 450 mhz processor. So it sucks for doing anything on the internet. Hell it sucks just trying to turn this POS off.

What's MIR?

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

oh, nvm, Mail In Rebate, duh.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

@jpcsfsd

It looks like he was looking for special deals on hardware, mainly in the form of mail in rebates. I also saw a deal on if you got the CPU and GPU as a combo.

Newegg can have things like mail in rebates, free shipping, and discounted prices for lots of hardware. I would say it's a good idea to find things you're interested in and keep track of them to see if you can get a deal on them.

jpcsfsd said:
Question for ya Squill. What is a chump box? (My guess is a quality cheap computer?). I will be looking for a new computer soon and I was going to just go to my local best buy, but this blows anything there out of the water for the price. Is this a special occasion or are these deals all over the internet. Thanks for any advice as my current computer has the original windows 98, a 6 gig harddrive, 56 megs of ram and like 450 mhz processor. So it sucks for doing anything on the internet. Hell it sucks just trying to turn this POS off.

Chump box = good computer for "chump" as in low prices. Its local slang, im not sure if it applies world wide.

If you're a newbie with computers then I suggest you go for chump option #2 or something like that, depending on your budget. Whether or not you want a graphics card depends on how you want to use your computer, if you do want to play games then its actually quite a powerful graphics card for monitors up to 22".

So thats something like a Compaq with a decent CPU, 3gb ram, Memory card ready, Vista 32bit (Important if you want to catch up on PC games you may have missed). So yes, its a great balance between price and performance and you can stretch it out a bit if you want to play games with the graphics card option I put in there. It should do pretty much anything you want out of it. Plus its a cinch to put that graphics card in. Its simply remove one screw, push out a retaining clip and screw in the card.

If you don't want to play games, seeing your needs are probably pretty limited the other option to consider is something like a Laptop computer. It shouldn't be too much more than the basic compaq desktop but it comes with a screen and you can use it anywhere. Sure it will be lower specced, but I doubt you'll need it unless you want to play games.

Tease.