By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Play Magazine Enters "Lair", Wants to Have Its Babies

Believe it or not...I don't only care about graphics when I play PC games.

I upgrade my computer every few years. It looks AMAZING in the beginning, and by the end of its life, it's not so great. I don't care though...all the games I own transfer to my next PC, and they only look better later on.

Like if I bought Gears of War for my current PC, it'd probably run like crap, but it'd run. On my PC that I'll own later this year, it'll look great. And on my PC I own in a few years, Gears of War will look as good as it possibly can ever look.

But still...I upgrade every few years because otherwise my PC won't be able to play the new games, basically...not because it won't look TOP-NOTCH.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
Kwaad said:
your mother said:
Kwaad said:
your mother said:
Kwaad said:

This aint worth arguing. The 500$ PC reigns supreme, and is better than a PS3, becuase the PS3 sucks.

And I said Crysis like games.

Which current PS3 game is "Crysis like" that you have played?

Well, I never said released either. Will your 500$ computer run any new games in 5 years? 8 years?

So clue me in on this: How is it that you can somehow play games that haven't been released yet?

Your own words: "My PS3 can play Crysis style games. Can your 500$ computer play them?" How do you know this if you haven't experienced it yourself, as you yourself claim that these games haven't been released yet.

And about new games... you are right that my already 2-year-old PC won't be able to handle games coming out in the next few years.

But you also do realize that in 5-8 years time the PC will have games that far surpass anything the PS3 could muster - that the PC will be able to handle games far far more complex than the PS3 could even begin to dream of? And guess what? The entry point will still be around 500-700 bucks?

I bet you money, your computer cant run oblivion like my 1 year old computer. (as the graphics card in my computer cost nearly as much as your computer) Yet, I dont feel my computer will be able to surpass Heavenly Sword graphics. I know how to build a computer for your buck. And I know that if you pay less than 800$ your aim is too low, and you are saving money, but not getting as munch bang per buck either. Usually a 200-300$ processor is best, for 2gb of memory, your looking at, at least 150$, and even today, the graphics card that I have, is still the one that I reccomend, costs 300$. Add those 3 things together, your looking at almost 800$. That dosent even include a motherboard. Those are 3 parts. (the most expensive yes, but your still looking at ~1000$ to build a good computer today.

Yeah, so? How about you answer my Crysis conundrum first?

Whether your rig can run Oblivion better than mine is not relevant in this case: what's relevant in this case is that regardless of who can run a better Oblivion, Crysis, whatever, in your vaunted 5-8 year lifespan PCs will obliterate any advantage that the PS3 purportedly has at the moment. The PS3's longevity will be 10 years only because that's how long Sony plans to market it - not because in 10 years' time it will still magicall retain relevance to the advancements made on the PC front.

And I disagree with your assessment of a minimum of 1000$ to build a good PC - I recently built a Core2Duo 6400 with 2GB RAM, a Radeon 1950 and an Asus Deluxe MB - all for 700850$ (EDIT: Forgot to convert from HKD to USD) (here in Hong Kong we get really good prices - oh, and that includes a CoolerMaster case). The computer so far has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it, including the uber-demanding S.T.A.L.K.E.R. That's my reserve gaming rig, however, the one I let buddies use when they come over to play.

BenKenobi88 said:
Believe it or not...I don't only care about graphics when I play PC games.

I upgrade my computer every few years. It looks AMAZING in the beginning, and by the end of its life, it's not so great. I don't care though...all the games I own transfer to my next PC, and they only look better later on.

Like if I bought Gears of War for my current PC, it'd probably run like crap, but it'd run. On my PC that I'll own later this year, it'll look great. And on my PC I own in a few years, Gears of War will look as good as it possibly can ever look.

But still...I upgrade every few years because otherwise my PC won't be able to play the new games, basically...not because it won't look TOP-NOTCH.

Interesting observation - that' normally the REVERSE of what happens with consoles.

First, console games don't look as nice, but after a few years they look much nicer.

I guess since programmers are all familiar with PC tech, they already know how to squeeze every single bit out of the hardware to start with... 

$700 every few years for me.

I don't understand where you guys get your ideas from. I'm not a "serious" PC gamer...who wants to be serious about videogames? I just like a lot of PC games, and play them a lot, and so do my friends. We play lots of FPSs, and a fair amount of RTSs. Some of us have crappy computers, some of us have high-end PCs. My current one is closer to "crappy" range...but it's still tons of fun...I don't know why you guys hate PCs so much.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Yeah, you'd think that'd be a con for PC games...games gradually seem graphically worse over your PC's life...but I don't really care...

I buy the game.

It's on my computer.

If I buy a new computer, that same game goes on my new computer, and looks better! You can't do that with consoles...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

Around the Network

I don't think anyone is arguing that PCs are less expensive than the PS3, even if you assemble them yourself (which I also do).

I think it's odd that PS3 owners are saying: "Yes, but the PC is more expensive!" even though you could factor in additional utility (word processors, 3d rendering software, music burning, etc), when that is precisely the same argument that Wii owners can cast at PS3 owners. Does the PS3 look better than the Wii? Yes, but it's twice as expensive! Although you could factor in the additional utility for the PS3 (music, photo, video player) as well.

Here's the deal (and this gets right back in to a thread that annoyed me earlier):

If PS3 owners continue to point out that high end PCs are more expensive than the PS3, I will point out that the Wii is less expensive than the PS3. Your complaint can be thrown right back in yourface.

If PS3 owners continue to point out that the PS3 has better graphics than the Wii, I will point out that the PC has better graphics than the PS3. Again, your complaint can be thrown right back in your face.

How about instead of using these trollish arguments, we simply agree that everyone can have their cup of tea? That everyone has a place on the spectrum that is right for them? If that place is the PS3 for you, great! But please stop arguing that the PS3 is the least expensive, or that it has the best graphics, or that it's library of games is the largest. None of those are true.

However, if the graphics are just right for you (how much are you willing to pay) and if you feel the games on the PS3 are best, also great! Buy that system. If you want to argue that the PS3 is, in your opinion, the best, use these arguments instead.

I know I annoyed you in that earlier thread, Akuma, and while I apologize for that, this has really been getting on my nerves for some time. Whenever I bring up my interest in PC graphics, PS3 owners will say: "sure the graphics are better, but it costs so much more!" and then when I say I enjoy the Wii, I hear: "sure it costs a lot less, but the graphics are so much lower!"

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

"That's cause the PS3 is just right!" -.o

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

BenKenobi88 said:
I don't know why you guys hate PCs so much.

It's not about hate. Pretending high-end PC is a standard for PC gamers is just something totally wrong.

meh? you guys were the ones who think that all PC gamers own high-end machines and pay fortunes...

Most PC gamers upgrade their machines every few years, and run great machines at first, which are average by the time they get new parts or whole new machines.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

Kwaad said:
akuma587 said:

Because EVERYONE I know who is serious about computer gaming completely retools their computer at least every 2 years. If you keep yourself behind a generation or two on PC games to save costs, then you sacrifice the PC's main advantage, cutting edge graphics, etc. I don't even see the point you guys are trying to make anymore.

Exactly my point. Just becuase you can run a next gen game, dosent mean it looks great, that's why I'm saying, you can buy a PS3 today for 500$. And it will run games that look as good (if not better) than Crysis by the end of it's life, and the point on that is, from what I have read about Crysis I'm not sure a 2000$ computer built today could run it at 100%.

EDIT: The more extreme to power your computer can do, the more extreme everything else *has* to be. I had a old computer that cost me 950$, and I went cheap on the case/Power Supply. I replaced the Powersupply 3 times, and becuase of the case, I had to leave the side off of the case, which in the long run fryed my motherboard after 3 years. This time I spent almost the exact same on hardware, just 130$ on my case and 90$ on my Power Supply. That's 220$ just on the casing!

Experienced systems builders would ever skimp on the power supply.

And 130$for a case? Even a fully aluminum case primed for watercooling in the vein of the 3DAurora costs less than 100$. you must find better sources from where to purchase your wares - that, or be more thorough on your research.

Anyhow, akuma587, that may be the case (I admit as much - I upgrade at least once a year, sometimes more frequently, but that's just because I love gadgets and it's my only hobby so I can afford to spend on this), but I don't think BenKenobi88 is in it for serious gaming. He's in it for gaming, period.  And if you look at it that way, being able to be productive on a PC and game at the same time, all for the ballpark figure of 500$, isn't all that bad. In that regard, a PC is very cost-effective. It can last you a few years - and what's more, for many, it can actually make you money!

I just landed a freelance contract worth 1200$ with my PC that coincidentally allows me to game as well. I think that's not too shabby for a "jack-of-all-trades, master of none" machine. But that's just me.