By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - AMAZING new LAIR sreeens !!!!! OMFG

Kwaad said:The Wii is the Wii. The only console it can compare to is the PS2.
Come on now, wouldn't you compare it to x-box and even more so to GC. Better yet GC 2.0.

Around the Network

Kwaad said: washimul said: RFOM, GEOW, UT3 all these game companies are extremely lucky..................geez LAIR has put CRYSIS in real CRISIS. hype for any other game has simply faded to 0 after the "water" and monster effects of LAIR. i had high hopes for FCATOR 5 when they said back at TGS that LAIR would be the most detailed next gen game with 50x more polygons than each char in GEARS. i dont even want HS, MGS 4,or motorstorm anymore...........all i want is LAIR. i am no longer attracted to my fav RFOM...........see the LAIR effect. all over the gaming forums people have just gone crazy with 60% cancellation of preorders for CRYSIS and other games. Clearly madness starts with motorstorm but is fueled to HELL by LAIR. (the new GOD of all GAMES) Wtf seriouly. onward 1. The memory on the PS3 is better than the 360. No questions asked. If you dont beleive me. Go read about how memory is dont on the 360, and how memory is done on a GeForce8800GTX. Or any ATi cards if you think I'm bashing ATi. The 360's memory system is crap. 2. I am talking about water effects that look like real water... and look "good" I was looking at wave-race a while back thinking. Holy crap that water looks HORRIBLE. It came before the nifty animated water shaders I am talking about. For it's time WaveRace was killer. I think waveRace still has some of the best water in a game... ever. 3. I am not saying it effects the gameplay. I am just saying. To do '3D water effects' it takes ALOT of power. I dont know if the 360 could do it without crippling half the game. And I know for a fact, a PC has major trouble with it. 4. If you want a REAL water demo, get a GeForce8800GTX, and get the 'smoke' demo. It has a killer Water demo. However it chokes out the card for a tiny window... With no textures or anything. Just the water. 5. I am in no way saying the PS3 can do everything and anything. It cant. The RSX has about 25-50% more power than the 360's graphics card. The RSX has XDR memory, wich is at least 3x faster than what is on the 360. That makes a BIG diffrence. the CELL has a memory architure, where the processor dosent have to wait on the memory. The Cell has more memory bandwidth than alot of graphics cards have... Wich is ALOT more than any CPU. Power. the PS3 blows the 360 out of the water. In terms of wich will look better? the 360 has a few perks to make it look better with less effort. the PS3, will look the same with minimal effort. and look better with more effort. Dont compare the 360 to the PS3. It's biggest hardware advantage agianst the PS3 is the disk read speed. which oblivion proves dont matter. The Wii is the Wii. The only console it can compare to is the PS2. Also just to say this. If the Wii runs on 20w. HOLY CRAP. The Powersupply puts off more heat a 20w light. And the Wii itself is like a heater. If you want efficency. Get 100 wii's. That would be a KILLER heater. I actually think that is because the Wii's HORRIBLY built. The DVD drive goes click click click all the time. You can hear the DVD's in the drive spin... And I can hear the fans from 3 feet. My Wii is louder than my PS3... When both are on a table away from anything. The PS3 screams when it dosent get enough air. (and finally smokes) The Wii just stops working from what I've read. EDIT: 7.8 and 8 really isnt that bad... much better than most Wii games...
ps3 has 2.25+ mb of memory + 512 mb +XDR advantage =fast and more direct mapping + faster data unloading =====amazing water

washimul said: ps3 has 2.25+ mb of memory + 512 mb +XDR advantage =fast and more direct mapping + faster data unloading =====amazing water
I want to update you on something. The PS3 has 256MB DDR3 and 256MB XDR. It's not all XDR. You proved your real knowledge.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

diamuerto said: Come on now, wouldn't you compare it to x-box and even more so to GC. Better yet GC 2.0.
No. the X-Box is no more, and the GC is no more. The PS2 still exists. Once the PS2 is gone, the Wii will have nothing to compare to.

I thought you were comparing in terms of power.

Around the Network

Kwaad said: washimul said: ps3 has 2.25+ mb of memory + 512 mb +XDR advantage =fast and more direct mapping + faster data unloading =====amazing water I want to update you on something. The PS3 has 256MB DDR3 and 256MB XDR. It's not all XDR. You proved your real knowledge.
i never said that ps3 had more than 512mb...........by concatenating XDR i made an indirect referencing to the fact that ps3 contains XDR ram

diamuerto said: I thought you were comparing in terms of power.
They do compare in power... That's why most GC games are coming to the Wii. The x-box games weeded their way out in 2006.

Wow, way for a post to get sidetracked. I personally think lair looks amazing. I am a big dragon fan and so far they look alright to me. I never payed attention to the soldiers but as long as they are running away from my dragon as if they are afraid for thier lives then I am satisfied. My dragon won't eat them all....... it will eat a few then burn the rest!

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

vanguardian1 said: Graphically, the PS3 power-wise is capable of outdoing the 360, but I feel the difference won't be as substantial as some people are hoping. Depending on how the games are designed and implemented, the 360's ram configuration can utilize higher quality textures than the PS3 (whereas the PS3's is locked at 256mb), but the PS3 can run more visual effects on those same textures than the 360 due to it's faster speeds.
I do not know why you are trying to drive home that point but you are misinformed. The PS3 is not locked at 256MB for textures. The RSX has read write access to all of the ram at will. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/af/X360bandwidthdiagram.jpg "The biggest ugly (and this really is a big one) in the Xbox360 diagram should be the location of the CPU relative to the main system memory. It has to be accessed through the GPU’s memory controller and shares the same 128 bit bus to GDDR3. The Xbox360 GPU’s 22.4GB/s bandwidth to the system’s unified memory, but this bandwidth is split between the GPU’s needs and the CPU’s. This means that if the Xenon(Xbox360 CPU) was using its full 21.6GB/s bandwidth to system memory, there would be 800MB/s left for the GPU. If the GPU was using its full bandwidth to this memory, none would be left for the Xenon. Additionally, the south bridge(I/O devices) are connected through the GPU also, and all of these devices are actually destined to go to the CPU unless sound for the Xbox360 is done on the Xenos. The impact of this is considerably less since I/O devices probably won’t exceed more than a few hundred MB/s during a game, and isn’t shared by GPUs 22.4GB/s access to main memory. This bandwidth is still going through the same bus that the CPU uses to access RAM and depletes off of the 21.6GB/s communication with RAM and the Xenos. http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cell/Cell_Arch.gif Looking at the diagram of the Playstation 3, you can see that the RSX has a dedicated 22.4 GB/s to its video memory, and the Cell has a dedicated 25.6GB/s to its main memory. Additionally, if you wanted to find the bandwidth the RSX could use from the Cell’s main memory, it go through the 35GB/s link between the Cell and itself, and then go through the Cell processor’s FlexIO controller, on the EIB, to the Cells memory controller which is the gatekeeper to RAM. The slowest link in the line is the bandwidth the XDR memory controller which is 25.6GB/s. If the RSX uses this bandwidth it is being shared with the Cell. In general, the major components in the Playstation 3 have their own memory to work with which provides maximum bandwidth to the respective pools of memory that each component will be using." - Ebony Seraphim There are a couple of amazing sidesteps both consoles use. The 360 can use memexport to bypass most constraints but it is true that both on paper and in pratical application the PS3 is more powerful. The issue is with devs that normally dev for the PC complaining about how hard it is. I am ok with that because my favorite exclusives for the nintendo and PS brand has been done be experience console devs. None which have complained about the architecture of any system.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

In-game pics: http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/761/761161/img_3933650.html Gears of War still holds the title of prettiest game ever, but we'll see what the final version of Lair or Crysis look like. At this point Crysis seems to take the lead when it comes out, while the ingame pics of Lair are about as nice as GoW. That's my opinion based on what I see in vids and pics. I don't own Xbox or the 360.