By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - AMAZING new LAIR sreeens !!!!! OMFG

vanguardian1 said: Yeah, Blue-ray allows extra space for textures, if you install them to the hard drive, since the blue-ray is much slower than a typical dvd-rom. The PS3 IS a powerful machine, I don't question that, but it has it's flaws as well, don't kid yourself. When I was referring to the memory and textures, what good does having higher quality textures do when the system doesn't have enough memory to store it? If you recall the articles, MS almost went with 256mb of RAM in the 360, and they surveyed the developers to see what they wanted most, and you know what the answer was? More RAM. It cost MS a lot of money, but in the end it made the overall difference between the 360 and PS3 that much smaller. My point is that you can add more effects all you want, but the similar amounts of RAM are going to keep the textures quality itself from looking significantly different between the two consoles. I've worked on computers long enough to know a fair share about video technology (before 3dfx even), and let me tell you that the extra ram speed helps *moderately* at best, but alone it's not going to cause a "night and day" difference in between the systems as other aspects can. Btw, I don't even really care about the 360 or PS3, but if you're going to start stating opinions and incomplete knowledge as facts, I'm gonna have to have a word with you. ;) I'll get a PS3 eventually when it becomes affordable, like $200 or so.
an x360 cost just 333 dollars to make.......a ps3 costs over 850+$ to make...........lol again that stupid more ram question:- ps3 has 512mb of ram vs x360 which has 512 mb of ram x360 has 512mb of shared 512mb GRR3 at 700mnz ps3 has 256mb of GDDR3 at 700mhz + 256mb of XDR at 3.2ghz ssssooo ps3 has the same amount of ram but XDR is very expensive and superior to GDDR3............the trash box is just trash being 1/3----1/10 as powerful as ps3 ps3 not only has 512mb of ram but 512kb of li cache + 1.8mb (256*7) of L2 cache. this aggreagte cache is most advantaeous to ps3 ......so that it can do more direct mapping and avoid frequent slot collission. at least know something before argueing with the CHAMP

Around the Network

Yulegoat said: Don't praise polygon count, praise art direction. From what I understand, those are not in-game graphics. If they are, then they've spent a lot money on the art design alone. Great graphics add a lot to the atmosphere, but it's not about the polygon count, it's about great design. I wonder if there's still dumbasses 20 years from now, who brag with having a kazillion number of polygons on a single sweat drop, like that would make it a better game compared to a sweat drop of billion polygons. Someone already turned this into console war, which seems to happen with every topic. Wii doesn't compete in graphical part with PS3. 360 does. Wii games are best when they are built around personal actions like swinging a sword and I don't think the wiimote would enhance experiences with massive games like Lair, even if it had enough power. However, some types of point and click games would propably work with Wii.
no x360 doesnot stack up against ps3..................but in terms of PORTS most x360 games do. However OBLIVION being a port is graphically wayyy better than the x360 version. lol..........large,complex and better textures make the game graphically more pronounced. More polygons make it more defined.............that is why the water in LAIR is so detailed and lifelike . Thats solely because of more polygons per frame clearly after march 2007 x360 wouldnt remain on the shelves anymore

washimul said: vanguardian1 said: Yeah, Blue-ray allows extra space for textures, if you install them to the hard drive, since the blue-ray is much slower than a typical dvd-rom. The PS3 IS a powerful machine, I don't question that, but it has it's flaws as well, don't kid yourself. When I was referring to the memory and textures, what good does having higher quality textures do when the system doesn't have enough memory to store it? If you recall the articles, MS almost went with 256mb of RAM in the 360, and they surveyed the developers to see what they wanted most, and you know what the answer was? More RAM. It cost MS a lot of money, but in the end it made the overall difference between the 360 and PS3 that much smaller. My point is that you can add more effects all you want, but the similar amounts of RAM are going to keep the textures quality itself from looking significantly different between the two consoles. I've worked on computers long enough to know a fair share about video technology (before 3dfx even), and let me tell you that the extra ram speed helps *moderately* at best, but alone it's not going to cause a "night and day" difference in between the systems as other aspects can. Btw, I don't even really care about the 360 or PS3, but if you're going to start stating opinions and incomplete knowledge as facts, I'm gonna have to have a word with you. ;) I'll get a PS3 eventually when it becomes affordable, like $200 or so. an x360 cost just 333 dollars to make.......a ps3 costs over 850+$ to make...........lol again that stupid more ram question:- ps3 has 512mb of ram vs x360 which has 512 mb of ram x360 has 512mb of shared 512mb GRR3 at 700mnz ps3 has 256mb of GDDR3 at 700mhz + 256mb of XDR at 3.2ghz ssssooo ps3 has the same amount of ram but XDR is very expensive and superior to GDDR3............the trash box is just trash being 1/3----1/10 as powerful as ps3 ps3 not only has 512mb of ram but 512kb of li cache + 1.8mb (256*7) of L2 cache. this aggreagte cache is most advantaeous to ps3 ......so that it can do more direct mapping and avoid frequent slot collission. at least know something before argueing with the CHAMP
Ok ok but can u please write like an adult? my eyes hurt with all these ............... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ---- and stuff!

Unbelievable that something positive can be turned negative by PS3 detractors. Lair is an extraordinary game made for an extraordinary videogame system. The Wii and 360 have nothing to do with Lair now nor when released and afterward. Reggie Fils Aime taking a shot at Sony and talking about something so tragic as a shooting was absolutley disgusting and unprofessional. Microsofts roll is simply to end the exclusivity of games for any one system, particularly the playsation 3. They failed with the Xbox and the X-cessory Box 360 has seen it's last surge. The competitors smear Sony and the Playstation Brand because the Playstation brand is that good. Congratulations to Sony and Factor 5. They can count on me being there and purchasing a copy on launch day.

DaveTheOne said: Unbelievable that something positive can be turned negative by PS3 detractors. Lair is an extraordinary game made for an extraordinary videogame system. The Wii and 360 have nothing to do with Lair now nor when released and afterward. Reggie Fils Aime taking a shot at Sony and talking about something so tragic as a shooting was absolutley disgusting and unprofessional. Microsofts roll is simply to end the exclusivity of games for any one system, particularly the playsation 3. They failed with the Xbox and the X-cessory Box 360 has seen it's last surge. The competitors smear Sony and the Playstation Brand because the Playstation brand is that good. Congratulations to Sony and Factor 5. They can count on me being there and purchasing a copy on launch day.
I don't think there is a person in here who thinks that the game doesn't LOOK great, we'll see if it plays great too but i believe in Factor 5. BUT you said about Reggie Fils Aime being unprofessional... yeah i suppose he's the only one... *loud cough* Sony *loud cough* Let's remember some things: "Wii is just an impulse buy", the SixAxis, and many more are SO professional i suppose just because these haven't been done from Nintendo or Microsoft. Get real... Sony is a greedy bastard who copies everything that can bring it money. At least Nintendo people say what THEIR system provide, but Sony can't stop talking about what other systems DON'T provide.

Around the Network

No one was saying this game is bad. Hell, I'll probably buy it come launch if it doesn't get horrid reviews. But the thing your forgetting is that some people argued that poly counts and game development budgets are the trappings of a great game, hence the Dai Katana comparison. Regardless of the impressive technology put behind a game, it doesn't matter if it's implementation is crap. And I'd like to know how a company needs your support? You're treaty this like a football game, where if you aren't rooting for the home team then they have no chance to make the play offs. Get a clue, Sony is a corporation, just like Nintendo and Microsoft, and they only care about you as long as it boost their profit margins. Now I do own a PS3, but with fanboy's like yourself and your nonsensical reasoning makes it hard to start liking the system.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Phil Harrison doesn't speak of the 3 red lights of death nor does he speak of the numerous Wii injuries or the death that occured from a radio contest to win a Wii. A shooting is nothing to joke about. I own all three systems; I have been a victim of the 3 red lights of death and received a refurbished replacement that I haven't taken online since. I am enjoying the Wii to no avail even though I cannot play online with 100 percent of the catalogue that has been released so far. These are real issues about the competing systems that Sony's Phil Harrison nor anyone else in Sony's camp mention when being interviewed. Anyhow; I've just finished looking at the high res shots of Lair yet again and it looks absolutley stunning. PS To all the fanboys for all the next gen systems: Time to get back to playing Virtual Fighter 5; I can only do that with the PS3 right now.

washimul said:More polygons make it more defined.............that is why the water in LAIR is so detailed and lifelike . Thats solely because of more polygons per frame
It's possible to make as great water for 360 games too. That's a matter of design, not horsepower, when we're talking about 360/PS3 level of hardware. I find it absurd that some people think 97,6% real looking water is so much better than 97,2% real. As the differences are becoming smaller and smaller, the fight is becoming funnier and funnier. 360/PS3 hardware already makes it possible to make games just about as real looking as the artists can produce. What will you fight over in the next generation? The horsepowers won't soon mean anything, because both (PS4 and Xbox720) will have enough even for the graphic whores.

Yulegoat said: washimul said:More polygons make it more defined.............that is why the water in LAIR is so detailed and lifelike . Thats solely because of more polygons per frame It's possible to make as great water for 360 games too. That's a matter of design, not horsepower, when we're talking about 360/PS3 level of hardware. I find it absurd that some people think 97,6% real looking water is so much better than 97,2% real. As the differences are becoming smaller and smaller, the fight is becoming funnier and funnier. 360/PS3 hardware already makes it possible to make games just about as real looking as the artists can produce. What will you fight over in the next generation? The horsepowers won't soon mean anything, because both (PS4 and Xbox720) will have enough even for the graphic whores.
after seeing the new amazing LAIR screens one should be reminded that FACTOR 5 aimed to use 50% of ps3's power and they also said back at TGS that LAIR could not be produced for x360. here is the link IGN: Quick Fanboy wars question -- Could Lair be done under its current spec on the Xbox 360? If so, why go with the PlayStation 3 "only" instead of going cross-platform? Eggebrecht: Lair in its current form couldn't be done on 360. We are using large amounts of Cell's SPUs for all of our geometry, landscape, simulations, animations, even troop AI. When we create a game, we absolutely focus on the platform it is designed around. Would we do one for 360, it would be a different game and a different engine -- most crucially perhaps though: Lair is an entirely different game without the motion control and gesture recognition since it was designed around it. http://ps3.ign.com/articles/733/733921p5.html IGN: What advantage does Blu-ray afford you now? Everyone talks about how great the extra storage space is but are you actually using it for Lair? Eggebrecht: The single level at TGS alone takes up 4 Gigabytes of data. We are using every ounce of that due to streaming of our textures. Sure you could chop them all down to tiny sizes and we would fit, but then again, it would not be the same game. In addition to all the textures and geometry, we also do have video on the disc, and all of that is in native 1080p resolution. Thanks to Blu-Ray we don't need to worry about that and can still fit the whole game on a single disk.

Ok, the screens look good. My main question though... is this game going to be any fun?