By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft Xbox 360 Sales Plunge 60% As Problems Mount

I think that the recent price cut for the 60g PS3 had more to do with the drop in the 360 sales than anything else. Now MS has had problems with reliability for a while. Why are sales dropping b/c of reliablity only recently? Secondly, MS is about to drop its prices anyway, which they have stated.

This whole thread is stupid, and asking for some serious flame bait; thanks for the ban on idjit Celb, btw.

Around the Network

It's a shame, really, because the 360 is a very good console with loads of good games. I think what Microsoft really needs to do is market the thing better. It needs to make people think it's the new PlayStation. I haven't seen any 360 ads in a long time.

ssj12 said:
I still shocked the courts havent ruled a mandatory (world-wide) recall.

You do realize that the courts don't randomly mandate law, right? In fact, they're not allowed to do that (in the US, at least).

There's this entire "due process" thing that involves MS being sued, a court case that follows, and a ruling by the court. Even then, the courts rarely play the "recall" card unless it involves public safety, such as exploding tires on Ford and the like. Even in the Ford case, it was a decision by the company to recall the SUVs and not the courts. In any case, no court is able to mandate a "worldwide recall". That is entirely beyond their jurisdiction. A US court can't force MS to recall British 360s and vice versa.

In the case of a malfunctioning electronic consumer product, a fine is more likely and a forced recall would be unheard of.

I have no idea why I wasted my time explaining this to a Sony troll who just wanted to stir the pot. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Saying MS wouldn't loose a case is rather stupid considering the US court systems declared MS a monopoly in the late 90s. It's also ignoring the fact that recently the RIAA was ordered by a court to pay for the legal defense of someone they went after recently for pirating music, and you can't get much more money behind you than all of the record companies.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

albionus said:
mrstickball said:
A question Im starting to contemplate about MS stuffing the supply channel in December:

No one has really "figured out" why MS shipped about 2x the amount of consoles it needed, then proceeded to vastly undership (understandably) the next 2 quarters.

Could it be that MS knew 65nm process + other discounts were ahead, and that the current line of X360s were faulty, a new real model (falcon sku) was going to be coming, and wanted to drain the channel; to get rid of the faulty line, in one last production swoop?

Knowing that the 1b refund would be impending, the thing you'd want to do is get the new models ASAP. Unfortunately, you can't really switch production mid stream, so you need a huge retail backlog of available units, so they can sell. Maybe MS designed the whole overshipping, since this would allow them to re-tool the dies, and re-engieneer the X360 with the Falcon now, and 65nm Xenos in May (as stated by sources).

So if this were the case, and MS intentionally overstuffed the channel, so they could get the factories re-tooled quicker, knowing the 65nm + falcon would fix the 1b bear they've created.

Or MS, well more accurately the managers making decisions with their bonuses on the line, just wanted to make their 10 million bragging milestone. Probably a more accurate guestimation, Occam's Razor and such. Of course that could cause problems later, but I don't think the poor sales they've seen so far this year was part of their plan.

Overall it's not like this is unexpected. Anyone follwing news about the 360 should be aware that stories like this were coming. I doubt these issues will cause any real long term problems for MS. It'll cost money but they have enough so long as the shareholders remain quiescent. It may prevent them from breaking out of the hard core American male gamer rut they are in but it's not like the 360 has much hope of doing that anyways. Hopefully they will learn a good lesson from all this and be a lot smarter next generation if they decide to stay in the console market.

I believe a better interpretation of occam's razor is "The best theory is the one that makes the fewest assumptions." The key difference in this case is that we know MS is redesigning the X360 to be 65nm and we know that they stuffed retailers at the end of last year, thus the only assumption in either theory mentioned here is the intent, which can't be known without an email from MS.

Just my two cents. 

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
ssj12 said:

You do realize that the courts don't randomly mandate law, right? In fact, they're not allowed to do that (in the US, at least).

There's this entire "due process" thing that involves MS being sued, a court case that follows, and a ruling by the court. Even then, the courts rarely play the "recall" card unless it involves public safety, such as exploding tires on Ford and the like. Even in the Ford case, it was a decision by the company to recall the SUVs and not the courts. In any case, no court is able to mandate a "worldwide recall". That is entirely beyond their jurisdiction. A US court can't force MS to recall British 360s and vice versa.

In the case of a malfunctioning electronic consumer product, a fine is more likely and a forced recall would be unheard of.

I have no idea why I wasted my time explaining this to a Sony troll who just wanted to stir the pot.

rocketpig has the best explanation...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

rocketpig said:
ssj12 said:

QFT

rocketpig said:
ssj12 said:

You do realize that the courts don't randomly mandate law, right? In fact, they're not allowed to do that yet(in the US, at least).

Fixed.

I think this has more to do with the system being brand new last year this time and the people who really wanted it were picking it up in heavy amounts. Right now most of the people who would pick it up at the current prices have and so a price drop is needed to ask more people to buy or MS could rely on their upcoming games (Halo and GTA most of all) to convince people to pick up the machine without the need for a lower price.

I still think there won't be a 360 price drop till pre holidays (November) because they will sell consoles by way of Halo and GTA.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!