By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Wii remote

I have heard a rumour about a new Wii remote being released, with better motion sensing capabilities.

Does anyone know about this?

Help I cant get my trophy card to work.

Around the Network

its actualy an atachment that gives 1:1 motion to games, its wii motion plus

Wii Motion+, making the Wiimote much more accurate.

It's an add-on that makes the Wii APIs marginally easier to program for. Contrary to the marketing, it doesn't actually make things more accurate; it just gives developers less of an excuse to be lazy.

Unfortunately, it's being marketed as making 1:1 motion -one of the worst gaming interfaces ever devised, however neat it seems on paper- possible. This will be the biggest draw up until people actually get a chance to use the interface, at which point most will throw down the remote in disgust.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Millennium said:
It's an add-on that makes the Wii APIs marginally easier to program for. Contrary to the marketing, it doesn't actually make things more accurate; it just gives developers less of an excuse to be lazy.

Unfortunately, it's being marketed as making 1:1 motion -one of the worst gaming interfaces ever devised, however neat it seems on paper- possible. This will be the biggest draw up until people actually get a chance to use the interface, at which point most will throw down the remote in disgust.

From ign.com:

"so you had the opportunity to swing the sword above your head, behind your head, thrust right, thrust forward. All of those types of motions in the past weren't possible, but this is the gyroscope capability, combined with the accelerometer and the sensor bar within the Wii remote system that bring a new level of gameplay."

"So the multi axis gyroscope provides new capabilities to game developers."

"It works. It actually works."

Around the Network
z101 said:
Millennium said:

From ign.com:

"so you had the opportunity to swing the sword above your head, behind your head, thrust right, thrust forward. All of those types of motions in the past weren't possible, but this is the gyroscope capability, combined with the accelerometer and the sensor bar within the Wii remote system that bring a new level of gameplay."

"So the multi axis gyroscope provides new capabilities to game developers."

"It works. It actually works."

There you go. Some peeps are so ignorant sometimes... I mean have you even used the device millenium?

Just kiss the tip.

I'm really excited with it. (I WANT A NEW GOLF GAME!!!).

There's a little problem with sword fighting, though. In real life if you hit your opponents sword, your sword stops too, right? Well, if you swing the WiiMotion+ it just goes straight. What if your online avatar's sword stops when hitting something? If it does stop, then it won't be 1:1. If it doesn't stop, it's like the sword can cut everything (something like Goemon's katana probably).

But, other than that I think it won't have any problems, gameplay-wise (did I already say I want a new golf game?)

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad.

Millennium said:

Although you have already been told, I feel the need to re-iterate your wrongness (even if that isn't a real word)

The current Wii remote can detect tilt and movement, but not lateral turning (which I think is called yaw in aviation terms)

What the WMP does is first of all increase the responsiveness of previous motions (not accuracy but responsiveness) and also adds in yaw detection... which means a driving game like Mario Kart could have you hold the wheel flat and it would still work (wheras now you have to hold it upright)

Plus if it is "found" once with the IR sensor, the extra features of WMP do in fact enable it to track it's motion relative to where it was when the IR sensor was used.... so for instance if you point at the screen and let it figure out where it is, you could then cover up the IR sensor and it could accurately track where the remote is in relation to where it was..... in terms of the pointer functions it wouldn't be quite as accurate as using the IR for an FPS or anything though.

--------

@hotrodx.... things like that can be avoided by clever but simple programming, like if your two swords clash and you move the Wii remote past the clash too far an little animation could undo the clash and then return the on screen sword back to the position you are holding the remote in. (which could make your character look a lot cooler with a blade than you would be in real life)

hotrodx said:
I'm really excited with it. (I WANT A NEW GOLF GAME!!!).

There's a little problem with sword fighting, though. In real life if you hit your opponents sword, your sword stops too, right? Well, if you swing the WiiMotion+ it just goes straight. What if your online avatar's sword stops when hitting something? If it does stop, then it won't be 1:1. If it doesn't stop, it's like the sword can cut everything (something like Goemon's katana probably).

But, other than that I think it won't have any problems, gameplay-wise (did I already say I want a new golf game?)

Wow, that's actually a great point. As a person who does swordfighting in real life, I can appreciate and understand that completely. I guess the same would be said for blocking off of a shield. My only quick fix thought would be to have the player's guard drop in game, so they would want to quickly reset their guard/stance.

Millennium said:

You're MillenniumX from GameFAQ's boards, aren't you?