By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Silent hill:Homecoming is great...

bbsin said:

This game is on the cusp of getting eaten alive by a better, faster, stronger, smarter and sexier survival horror game... Dead Space.

i will most definetly get Dead Space as well (maybe rent it)...but its clear that it is a different type of game from silent hill. Emphasis on Action, slow mo, dismemberment...with scary moments in between.

Not saying silent hill will be better, but the puzzles and atmosphere give silent hill a different experience in my mind.

Around the Network
masschamber said:
disolitude said:

...it really is. For a survival horror fans of the old school...this is a AAA game.

All of that "American team will fuck it up" talk did not really materialize as the game is easily better than silent hill 3 and 4...

This is all I have to say.

How does the town feel and what is the lay out like, is it SH1 open feeling small town, or is it origins run around in a circle pretending to be a town to reach the other side of police tape? or is it the middle? also how is the weapons system? are breakable weapons or limited inventory back?

Town layout is not quite as open as Silent hill 2 lets say...but its surelly more like old silent hill (never played the psp one). You can go anywhere...however map, journal is so extremely helpfull with clues...you really won't be lost and wondering the town...ever.

Weapon system is great. No breakable weapons (thank god)...combat is quite handy compared to old silent hill games. there is even a combo depending on the weapon (a,a,a,x for knife...a,a,x for pipe...etc). Inventory management is great as well. Right B for weapons, left B for items...and health is always displayed when you are in combat so you know when you need a health drink.

One gripe I had is that save points are really common...or hard to find...

Story is pretty good as well...mind you I havent beaten it yet (about 80% done) so it could all unravel by the end.

There is really no reason for someone that enjoyed silent hill 1 and 2 not to like this game...it put a smile on my face since it made me recall the old games...and happier times :)

Yeah. Silent has almost been the king of "atmospheric terror", opposed to the "boo!" factor.

disolitude said:
masschamber said:
disolitude said:

...it really is. For a survival horror fans of the old school...this is a AAA game.

All of that "American team will fuck it up" talk did not really materialize as the game is easily better than silent hill 3 and 4...

This is all I have to say.

How does the town feel and what is the lay out like, is it SH1 open feeling small town, or is it origins run around in a circle pretending to be a town to reach the other side of police tape? or is it the middle? also how is the weapons system? are breakable weapons or limited inventory back?

Town layout is not quite as open as Silent hill 2 lets say...but its surelly more like old silent hill (never played the psp one). You can go anywhere...however map, journal is so extremely helpfull with clues...you really won't be lost and wondering the town...ever.

Weapon system is great. No breakable weapons (thank god)...combat is quite handy compared to old silent hill games. there is even a combo depending on the weapon (a,a,a,x for knife...a,a,x for pipe...etc). Inventory management is great as well. Right B for weapons, left B for items...and health is always displayed when you are in combat so you know when you need a health drink.

One gripe I had is that save points are really common...or hard to find...

Story is pretty good as well...mind you I havent beaten it yet (about 80% done) so it could all unravel by the end.

There is really no reason for someone that enjoyed silent hill 1 and 2 not to like this game...it put a smile on my face since it made me recall the old games...and happier times :)

that's enough for me it will fill the 3rd spot in the TRU buy 2 get one free for me, It is good to hear that the breaking weapons are gone,

origins isn't bad but the breakable weapons were idiotic (seriously holding 15 sledgehammers and 8 portable tvs is better or more immersive than a fire axe that doesn't break? though it was kind of funny beating the boss of the game by hocking tvs at it until it died) and the towns layout was laughable,  I'm glad to hear that this one fixes those problems

plus to make things better it is also making it so I can pick up copies of De Blob and Wario Land Shake it

HA silent hill homecoming being

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I havent even played the first silent hill

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:

Rent this one...part 1 is a little dated by todays standards. Part 2 is a masterpiece but you need an introduction to the series as it is quite challenging if you never played it before. Parts 3 and 4 are so so...

This one should be playable even if you never played any before.

yeah i have the game and i agree with disolitude.
I just came up out of the sewers, the baddies are fun to fight, and there is a real creepiness to everything. More so than the other iterations.
Plus apparantly there are supposed to be many endings, also more than other iterations, and cool bonus weapons.

disolitude said:
colonelstubbs said:

Rent this one...part 1 is a little dated by todays standards. Part 2 is a masterpiece but you need an introduction to the series as it is quite challenging if you never played it before. Parts 3 and 4 are so so...

Where does it fit in story wise?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Silent Hill Homecoming is surprisingly good. The camera is no longer annoying which is something I hated in the series. I love how you can roam around a building and enter doors, and there are no load times. The music is great, creepy at times. Akira Yamaoka did a fantastic job with the soundtrack. The atmosphere is well done, very creepy.

The combat is great and very fun. Being able to do combos and dodge attacks to counterattack. I also like how you can aim the gun now. At first the story is meh, but it gets really interesting later on. SH:H is probably the third best SH game, behind the first two. The atmosphere, characters and story aren't as great as the first two, but the gameplay is the best in the series.

outlawauron said:
disolitude said:
colonelstubbs said:

Where does it fit in story wise?

Its a separate story entity. You need to play previous games to understand how the world works...but story is not connected.