By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Starwars... less WW sales than either HD console? Why?

DMeisterJ said:
Well this is the third game facing this fate:

SW: TFU

Madden NFL 09

Fifa 09 (Even selling less than the PSP Version, ZOMG)

We can call it complaining from 'butthurt fanboys', but that would be false. These are actual numbers, so I like to call that facts. And people can't handle the facts that the Wii won't have the best selling version of every multi-platform game, in spite of the fact of the (admittedly) huge install base.

People need to get over the fact that there are going to be games that sell better on the HD platforms.

Maybe the PS360 aren't as bad as people make it out to be, seeing it can best the Wii version of games in sales despite a smaller install base.

And LOL @ people downplaying the Wii version of SW TFU. It is hilarious! Everyone was talking about pre-launch how the Wii version would win because of 'da legz', and the same was said about Madden NFL 09. Now it's time to damage control, because it didn't happen like that.

lolxD

Ignorance is not a virtue so why do most continue to spread it like the plague.  I think anyone who knew a damn thing about sales would know how little userbase has to do with anything.  Trends suggest first week and sometimes month really depends on core gamers.  More than likely the core gaming crowd will buy the PS3 or 360 version over that of the Wii version.  However in the long run the Wii version almost always seems to sell more in the long run thx to the persistent mainstream buying base.  It is not guaranteed to outsell the other version but it will mean that games like Madden 09, SW:TFU, and FIFA 09 down the line will continously be getting sales.  Just look at the previous versions of some of those games if you really need proof. 

This is not to say that the Wii doesn't have a core buying base its just usually those core base goes for the more high end version and more than likely own a Wii and another console.  However we know there is a large core buying base because games like SMG, Zelda: TP, and SSBB have opened with some large numbers.  

But more than likely the Wii version will sell its bulk over time while the 360 and PS3 versions will sell their bulk in the first couple of months.  Even more than likely Wii version may never catch up to the other versions simply because their are new iterations every year.  Just doesn't have enough time at the pace it goes sometimes.  And sometimes just may never catch up because the userbases in that certain region aren't far enough away such as America whjen it comes to 360 and Wii where the mainstream userbase will keep both going for a long time and still have about similar sales.  The only point we need to understand though is that Wii versions will sell well just over time while so should the PS3 and 360 but for totally different reasons and what sales better will always be an anomaly.

Anyong trying to say oh because of this userbase or of this userbase or that this game is better quality as the reasoning as to what will sell better clearly is ignorant to the situation.

Now I know how you love to do your damage control and put all the idiots before hand down but your reasoning is stupid because you don't know why this is happening.  Meaning why do damage control if you can't explain anything.  Your just as laughable as those that made those wild claims before hand.  Now run along.

Around the Network

Realistically, there is nothing about the PSP, PS2 or Wii that means that they couldn't make a great game with the same premise of the HD versions of the game

You mean apart from the fact that the Wii has less power for physical effects, graphics etc. They cannot use the same third-party technologies like Graphics Engine, Havoc or Euphoria because these need more power, they have to design levels, characters and environments with less polygons and therefore less details , may have problems creating the same view distances and therefore level sizes ...

There is no single thing that cannot be done on the Wii but there are overall less resources available so designers will have to cut some things.

(And they are cheap bastards and would rather port the PS2 version than to make a proper job)

Kyros said:
Realistically, there is nothing about the PSP, PS2 or Wii that means that they couldn't make a great game with the same premise of the HD versions of the game

You mean apart from the fact that the Wii has less power for physical effects, graphics etc. They cannot use the same third-party technologies like Graphics Engine, Havoc or Euphoria because these need more power, they have to design levels, characters and environments with less polygons and therefore less details , may have problems creating the same view distances and therefore level sizes ...

There is no single thing that cannot be done on the Wii but there are overall less resources available so designers will have to cut some things.

(And they are cheap bastards and would rather port the PS2 version than to make a proper job)

Cheap bastards that are making a hell of a lot of money off a cheap port haha.  I bet Lucasarts isn't complaing that the Wii version has sold over 500k and not as much as the 360 version.  Probalby made more already off the Wii version given production costs.

Maybe it is because SW fans who have Wiis are waiting for the Clone Wars game.
Basically, that game takes the best unique feature of SW:TFU and makes it a stand alone experience. The graphics should not matter because they look like (read -- as bad as) the cartoon.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Something else occurred to me.

If I recall correctly, the Wii version is not a port of the HD game -- it was done by a different (and some might say lesser) studio.

But also given the Metascores for the games, it is quality differences do not appear to be an issue.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
Kyros said:

I think we're talking about two entirely different things ...

If you look at games from the previous generation the all were designed around the limitations of the systems' hardware and yet very few good games ever felt like the hardware was limiting them. Resident Evil 4 (for example) is broken up into hundreds of tiny rooms in order to devote the most resources towards producing the best looking visuals possible, but you rarely feel like the world is segmented in a particularly bad way.

The problem with a lot of these ports is they look at what can not be done on the Wii and then look for a way to "fix" that rather than looking for what can be done on the Wii and implement that.

HappySqurriel said:
Kyros said:

I think we're talking about two entirely different things ...

If you look at games from the previous generation the all were designed around the limitations of the systems' hardware and yet very few good games ever felt like the hardware was limiting them. Resident Evil 4 (for example) is broken up into hundreds of tiny rooms in order to devote the most resources towards producing the best looking visuals possible, but you rarely feel like the world is segmented in a particularly bad way.

The problem with a lot of these ports is they look at what can not be done on the Wii and then look for a way to "fix" that rather than looking for what can be done on the Wii and implement that.

Exactly.  In this case, the game was, supposedly, developed with the Wii in mind.  However, if 3rd parties design a game around the limitations of the X360 or PS3, and then try to port it to the Wii, it inevitably ends up terrible.

The point of the discussion here is not to point a finger at the Wii and say "look, its attach rate is iNferIoRrz!" and start a fanboy war, but rather to pose the question "why?" to explain what it is, exactly, 3rd parties need to do to bring the attach rate up on the Wii.  

I agree with HappySquirriel with regards to game design needing to focus on the Wii in order to make a good Wii game.. which kinda puts the Wii as the odd man out, with regards to current-gen console development.  Great Wii games can be made, obviously -- there are a ton of them.  Pretty much all of them are simplistic games which easily fit on the Wii (and the HD consoles), or even a PS2, or they were designed specifically for the Wii, however.

At this point I'm thinking that its not really possible to have a cross-platform game on the Wii which isn't relatively small-scale in nature, and thus ports easily across all current gen platforms, and even back to the PS2, or over to the PSP.  The Wii utterly dominates the younger demographic (which isn't to say it "targets" the younger demographic, which some rabid Nintendo fanboy poster mistakenly believed I stated earlier) -- so it seems reasonable to assume that all cross-platform games where the Wii will have a reasonable attach rate may have to involve (not target specifically -- there's a big difference) that demographic.

Before some big-N fanboy gets upset, I'd like to point out that games like SMG are NOT targetted at any demographic in particular.  They are "general audience" -- meaning for everyone, which is exactly what the Blue Ocean strategy is about.  My statement is merely that, in order to actually hit that broad demographic with a reasonable attach rate, you need to have general appeal.  And yes, that almost always means that the game will appeal to kids as well as adults.

There's nothing wrong with that.  I love Nintendo games, personally, and millions agree with that statement.  I'm very surprised that Star Wars didn't hit the general audience harder, however.  Very surprised.  We'll see if the legs carry it through.

Zucas said:
DMeisterJ said:
Well this is the third game facing this fate:

SW: TFU

Madden NFL 09

Fifa 09 (Even selling less than the PSP Version, ZOMG)

We can call it complaining from 'butthurt fanboys', but that would be false. These are actual numbers, so I like to call that facts. And people can't handle the facts that the Wii won't have the best selling version of every multi-platform game, in spite of the fact of the (admittedly) huge install base.

People need to get over the fact that there are going to be games that sell better on the HD platforms.

Maybe the PS360 aren't as bad as people make it out to be, seeing it can best the Wii version of games in sales despite a smaller install base.

And LOL @ people downplaying the Wii version of SW TFU. It is hilarious! Everyone was talking about pre-launch how the Wii version would win because of 'da legz', and the same was said about Madden NFL 09. Now it's time to damage control, because it didn't happen like that.

lolxD

<snip>

Now I know how you love to do your damage control and put all the idiots before hand down but your reasoning is stupid because you don't know why this is happening.  Meaning why do damage control if you can't explain anything.  Your just as laughable as those that made those wild claims before hand.  Now run along.

Damn, that was mean. 

Sorry next time I'll be less blunt as long as your less blunt to the others.

Zucas said:
Sorry next time I'll be less blunt as long as your less blunt to the others.

What are you Robin Hood or something?

^_^