By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Starwars... less WW sales than either HD console? Why?

So cheap Wii ports of big budget PS3/360 games do not initially sell as well as the more expensive, visually impressive, and heavily marketed versions? Even though action games are targeted and marketed directly at the PS3/360 core demographic, and not the average Wii user? I am shocked!

Be sure to make a thread for Call of Duty: World at War, and 007:Quantum of Solace this fall to point out this amazing fact as well.

/sarcasm

Around the Network

Star Wars on he Wii is a PS2 port.

Well this is the third game facing this fate:

SW: TFU

Madden NFL 09

Fifa 09 (Even selling less than the PSP Version, ZOMG)

We can call it complaining from 'butthurt fanboys', but that would be false. These are actual numbers, so I like to call that facts. And people can't handle the facts that the Wii won't have the best selling version of every multi-platform game, in spite of the fact of the (admittedly) huge install base.

People need to get over the fact that there are going to be games that sell better on the HD platforms.

Maybe the PS360 aren't as bad as people make it out to be, seeing it can best the Wii version of games in sales despite a smaller install base.

And LOL @ people downplaying the Wii version of SW TFU. It is hilarious! Everyone was talking about pre-launch how the Wii version would win because of 'da legz', and the same was said about Madden NFL 09. Now it's time to damage control, because it didn't happen like that.

lolxD

DMeisterJ said:

Madden NFL 09

Maybe the PS360 aren't as bad as people make it out to be, seeing it can best the Wii version of games in sales despite a smaller install base.

Cherry pick much?

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09

Rock Band (tracking higher than PS3 version despite bad reviews)

Guitar Hero III (over PS3)

Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga

Sega Superstars Tennis (over all platforms)

Wii has a 12m user lead on 360, and 18m user lead on PS3.  The divide between userbases is only going to keep growing.  How will those sales look with a 30m userbase divide?  40m?  Or the end of generation 50m+ gap?

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

frybread said:
DMeisterJ said:

Madden NFL 09

Cherry pick much?

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09

The divide between userbases is only growing, it's going to get harder and harder for the gamepad consoles to keep up with multiplatform titles, no matter the genre.

Cut off my statement much?

I'm not saying that no Wii version will sell better than a PS3 or 360 version, but when the PS3, with half of the install base outsells the Wii version of a game, it is crazy.  And it's happened on more than one occasion.

Around the Network
Groucho said:

It would seem that Star Wars is a license that, somehow, appeals more to the average X360 or PS3 consumer, than it does to the Wii consumer, at this early juncture.

1. Despite a substantial installbase lead, the Wii has fallen behind the PS3, and significantly behind the X360 in sales for this AAA title thusfar.

Much like Pro Sports titles (although to a lesser degree), it seems that WII-HD crossplatform games might actually do better on the HD consoles than the Wii -- especially since both HD console titles can presumably be developed together, whereas the Wii version needs the extra expense for a down-port, or in this case, a completely different game.

I realize this is an early evaluation (that's not the point of this thread -- I'm looking for interesting ideas other than "Wii has legs, pretend all those sports crossplat titles did well after a year, relative to their HD counterparts")... but it strikes me as odd, since I would think that the demographics for this game would fit the Wii perfectly.  I suppose that the general Wii audience is slower to pick up a title than the HD audience is -- explaining the legs of many Wii titles, compared to their HD counterparts, 2. but at this point, the Wii is looking a bit unattractive as a primary development platform for cross-current-gen titles.  Even with long-term sales on the Wii, the cross-platform similarity of the HD consoles seems to make HD cross-platform titles mostly worthwhile even without a Wii port.

If this turns out to be a common occurance with Wii-X360-PS3 crossplat titles, what effects will it have, long-term, on the Wii?

3. EDIT: I'm more interested in discussing titles which are not "kiddie" games, and thus aren't naturally more targetted toward the Wii userbase.  Obviously any kid-themed sports title, etc. will do better on the Wii due to pure demographics, IMO.

1.  It is not that far behind the PS3 version.  I think it is quite clear that it is going to sell more than the PS3 version.  The game has only been out for like 2, 3 or 4 weeks .  I think there is enough evidence that Wii games have longer legs.  For some reason in your post you said you don't want that explanation but how can you choose to ignore something that there is such clear evidence of.  Yes the sales of Wii sports games are not going to catch up with the PS3 sports games but in that case the PS3 has such a huge opening week compared to the Wii that there is just no catching up especially since the very same game is going to be released in a year's time so these things have a limited period to sell anyway.  Plus people that buy these games every single year despite the fact that they are the same game each time but with updated team roasters have been buying these games for years and are not willing to switch to a new control method, plus want to see flashy graphics over flashy game play.  In the case of star wars PS3 does not have a huge opening week advantage.  No doubt the Wii version will catch up.  360 is another matter.  Seems 360 owners buy big games in huge huge numbers and I think Wii will always struggle to match 360 software sales for big games apart from in a few years time when the userbase advantage is just so huge.

2.  I agree. With the way 360 owners eat up games it definitely makes sense to develop PS360 as opposed to Wii exclusive.  That is why unlike many other Wii owners I'm not holding much hope that 3rd parties will suddenly switch focus to Wii.  It will happen (and is already happening) for Japanesecentric games since the gap between Wii and PS360 is so huge.  But for western games I don't see it happening simply because I don't see Nintendo ever increasing production to the level where Wii sales are so far in excess of combined PS360 sales.

3. So Wii's target audience is kids?  That's news to me.  Do you happen to work for Sony?

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

frybread said:
DMeisterJ said:

Madden NFL 09

Cherry pick much?

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09

The divide between userbases is only growing, it's going to get harder and harder for the gamepad consoles to keep up with multiplatform titles, no matter the genre.

Cherry picking? You basicly ignored the 360 when comparing multiplatform games. what do you call that ?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
frybread said:

Cherry pick much?

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09

Cherry picking? You basicly ignored the 360 when comparing multiplatform games. what do you call that ?

I call it obvious from what I wrote.  The 2 that are only ahead of PS3 are clearly labeled as such.  The rest are over all platforms.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

What the examples shows us is if the games are casuals the wii will eventually, with legs outsell the PS3 and maybe the 360. But, any other games the wii will have no chance.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Hum. I think it's far too early to judge that.

1ST POINT
1st, Wii version of SW wont cost as much as 360-PS3 versions to develop. Also, it s combined with PS2 version most of the time (which is downgraded).

Meaning Wii version need to sell around 4 to 5 times less and still be more successful .

Your assesment is wrong from the beginning.

2ND POINT
Wii version tend to have far better legs. See SW FU in Europe : Wii version is now outselling PS3 and 360 versions.

On long term, Wii version should outsell both...

RIght ?

Try Rage Of Bahamut ! Free trading card and RPG game on ITunes / Android. Use Code : Laa49998 

And get free  rare card.  Enjoy !