By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Starwars... less WW sales than either HD console? Why?

It would seem that Star Wars is a license that, somehow, appeals more to the average X360 or PS3 consumer, than it does to the Wii consumer, at this early juncture.

Despite a substantial installbase lead, the Wii has fallen behind the PS3, and significantly behind the X360 in sales for this AAA title thusfar.

Much like Pro Sports titles (although to a lesser degree), it seems that WII-HD crossplatform games might actually do better on the HD consoles than the Wii -- especially since both HD console titles can presumably be developed together, whereas the Wii version needs the extra expense for a down-port, or in this case, a completely different game.

I realize this is an early evaluation (that's not the point of this thread -- I'm looking for interesting ideas other than "Wii has legs, pretend all those sports crossplat titles did well after a year, relative to their HD counterparts")... but it strikes me as odd, since I would think that the demographics for this game would fit the Wii perfectly.  I suppose that the general Wii audience is slower to pick up a title than the HD audience is -- explaining the legs of many Wii titles, compared to their HD counterparts, but at this point, the Wii is looking a bit unattractive as a primary development platform for cross-current-gen titles.  Even with long-term sales on the Wii, the cross-platform similarity of the HD consoles seems to make HD cross-platform titles mostly worthwhile even without a Wii port.

If this turns out to be a common occurance with Wii-X360-PS3 crossplat titles, what effects will it have, long-term, on the Wii?

EDIT: I'm more interested in discussing titles which are not "kiddie" games, and thus aren't naturally more targetted toward the Wii userbase.  Obviously any kid-themed sports title, etc. will do better on the Wii due to pure demographics, IMO.

Around the Network

Maybe because the PS360 versions are superior?

Or because its not AAA? lol

mM

Maybe because Star Wars fans are nerds and HD consoles are for nerds? :P Who knows? lol

leo-j said:

The game has sold well over two million copies.  I think it qualifies as AAA.

atma998 said:
Maybe because Star Wars fans are nerds and HD consoles are for nerds? :P Who knows? lol

Speak for youself

mM
Around the Network
Groucho said:
leo-j said:

The game has sold well over a million copies.  I think it qualifies as AAA.

Sales do not equal quality, just because something sells amazingly well doesnt mean its good.

mM
leo-j said:
Groucho said:
leo-j said:

The game has sold well over a million copies.  I think it qualifies as AAA.

Sales do not equal quality, just because something sells amazingly well doesnt mean its good.

That's not the point leo.  You are implying that.. what?  Wii owners have more taste?

I think not.  This is a broad-spectrum license title.  Its attach rate is hideously lower on the Wii than the HD consoles..  I am pondering why.

I said this would happen, but no one believed me.

Its because of the new control schemes. Since everyone is so used to the old one, it might take time to catch on. Also, i believe SW.TFF wouldve sold better if Motion+ was in full circulation, because of the lure of 1:1 Light saber battles

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

@Leo-J That is very subjective. Also if you go off of review scores they are pretty even on gamerankings the they are all in the low 70s with the Wii at 72.2, PS3 at 71.8 and 360 at 73.6.

@OP I am also surprised that the Wii version sold less. Especially since the Wii targets a mainstream demographic similarly to star wars games. Maybe it will pull off legs. Though the drop is similar to the PS3 versions, but the Wii didn't have as big as of an opening. So lets see if it levels off, and if the other ones drop then there is a chance it could catch up. Its too early to tell right now, but I'm going to say that it will sell just under that of the PS3 version, but surpassing it isn't entirely impossible. As for the 360 version, I don't think its very likely at this moment.