By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Define "manliness"

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Black and white is always manly. Shouldn't the shoes be red though?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Oh man, I just noticed he was the main character in Privateer 2: The Darkening. Daaaaaammmn, brings back memories! o_O

http://www.murphsplace.com/owen/tv/privateer.html

In that regard, I have to agree, this guy is awesome because he lost his memory! Must have been because of booze or something.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Onyxmeth said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

lol, converse red. Couldn't find a better pic though, lol.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Onyxmeth said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

lol, converse red. Couldn't find a better pic though, lol.

I used to love those books. I can't wait until they get around to filming Hell and Back. That is going to be EPIC. I can't wait to see who they get to play Blue Eyes.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

high pain tolerance is also a factor in manliness.

In my sociology class, they told me that there are more women than men in the world (52% vs. 48%), but there is more variance among men.

For example, a rich man in Africa may have like 100 cows and would be able to support 10 wives, whereas a poor man might not have any cows and wouldn't be able to attract one wife.

Due to this variance, men are more apt to compete against each other in order to jockey for a higher social standing. This cultural phenomena, IMO, might contribute to what we think of as "manliness." I don't think it necessarily is a way of attracting women, even; since over eating/over drinking/beating each other up/drop kicking babies/body slamming sharks and crocodiles isn't really a way to impress a woman.

Well I think 'manliness' to some degree pertains to the alpha male quality in men.

Leaders of others, through physical or social prowess.

Men respect other men with big muscles, because they are strong. Some men dislike or feel less respect for other men who they percieve as being weak or unable to protect themselves.

This 'respect' is probably a very instinctual decision made by humans (dating back to times when strength was needed to survive etc.)

Certain physical features of a man are said to be masculine. A larger nose and squarer jaw. (A larger nose perhaps for better breathing, a squarer jaw denoting a better fighter etc.)

The higher pain tolerance you mentioned would also fit into the area of a skill needed for basic survival.

So basically, 'manliness' is a quality attributed to those better able to survive a certain or set of situations.

At least that's all that popped into my head in the 2 mins it took to write this reply

i cant help you i don't believe i am anything manly according to society

i mean even having a penis isnt enough anymore
i mean you dont get much more butch then this

xtastemyvenom said:
Cougarman said:
man should never ever cry in front of woman and children, when you are alone its ok to cry

untrue, i think it takes a stronger man to let loose and show his emotions by crying.

How very EMO of you. ;)

That Guy said:
high pain tolerance is also a factor in manliness.

In my sociology class, they told me that there are more women than men in the world (52% vs. 48%), but there is more variance among men.

For example, a rich man in Africa may have like 100 cows and would be able to support 10 wives, whereas a poor man might not have any cows and wouldn't be able to attract one wife.

Due to this variance, men are more apt to compete against each other in order to jockey for a higher social standing. This cultural phenomena, IMO, might contribute to what we think of as "manliness." I don't think it necessarily is a way of attracting women, even; since over eating/over drinking/beating each other up/drop kicking babies/body slamming sharks and crocodiles isn't really a way to impress a woman.

Damn. I need to get me some more cows then and stop EATING them.

LULZ