By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kojima: Japanese game industry is in trouble

Paul_Warren said:
"dozens of HD games more anticipated than a 360 version of MGS4"

Yeah, maybe a dozen minus 10, and really only one of those that still has the potential to amount to anything. What other game starts threads all across the internet at the mere mention that it could happen? Only MGS and FFXIII.

Yeah, this is using sales as a metric of anticipation, and if you think the 360 version of MGS4 is going to sell better than some of the games coming out this holiday - well, you are as wrong as wrong can be.

Now are you narrowing your argument on purpose or no?

Around the Network

"Yeah, this is using sales as a metric of anticipation, and if you think the 360 version of MGS4 is going to sell better than some of the games coming out this holiday - well, you are as wrong as wrong can be."

There are probably no more than three games coming out this holiday season that will sell more in their lifetimes than MGS4.

"Now are you narrowing your argument on purpose or no?"
I was trying to make it so that my responses can be shorter.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Paul_Warren said:
"Yeah, this is using sales as a metric of anticipation, and if you think the 360 version of MGS4 is going to sell better than some of the games coming out this holiday - well, you are as wrong as wrong can be."

There are probably no more than three games coming out this holiday season that will sell more in their lifetimes than MGS4.

"Now are you narrowing your argument on purpose or no?"
I was trying to make it so that my responses can be shorter.

I hope you mean HD games, because certain Wii games are going to curb-stomp the Hell out of MGS4.

More to the point: this is about the 360 version of MGS4, which would not sell as well as many HD games this holiday season - your Gears of War, your Fable 2, what have you.

The Wii really doesn't have that many games coming out this holiday season that are going to sell that well. I don't really expect Animal Crossing or Wii Music to do as well as past Wii successes. Gears of War 2 will probably sell better than the PS3 version of MGS 4 alone but not if MGS 4 also appears on the 360 at some point in time and you combine the two its PS3 and 360 totals. Certain things could also lower Gears 2's ability to sell that well: If Resistance 2 comes out with high scores that generate just as much hype across the board for it as Gears 2, then Gears will sell well but not as astronomically well as the first one did because it would have stronger competition.  Or if the almost unthinkable occurs and Gears 2 somehow winds up with lower than expected review scores.   I think Fable 2 is only going to wind up as mid to high 8 rated game, so I'm not expecting high sales in the end for that game. It has done well in pre-orders but only high B review scores could have an effect on its sales much as they did on Too Human's final total though to a lower degree because I don't expect Fable 2's review scores to suddenly dip down that low. Banjo Kazooie is a dark horse but its sales will depend upon what type of hype is generated by its ratings.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

Paul_Warren said:

The Wii really doesn't have that many games coming out this holiday season that are going to sell that well. I don't really expect Animal Crossing or Wii Music to do as well as past Wii successes. Gears of War 2 will probably sell better than the PS3 version of MGS 4 alone but not if MGS 4 also appears on the 360 at some point in time and you combine the two its PS3 and 360 totals. Certain things could also lower Gears 2's ability to sell that well: If Resistance 2 comes out with high scores that generate just as much hype across the board for it as Gears 2, then Gears will sell well but not as astronomically well as the first one did because it would have stronger competition.  Or if the almost unthinkable occurs and Gears 2 somehow winds up with lower than expected review scores.   I think Fable 2 is only going to wind up as mid to high 8 rated game, so I'm not expecting high sales in the end for that game. It has done well in pre-orders but only high B review scores could have an effect on its sales much as they did on Too Human's final total though to a lower degree because I don't expect Fable 2's review scores to suddenly dip down that low. Banjo Kazooie is a dark horse but its sales will depend upon what type of hype is generated by its ratings.

Right so after the holiday season when Wii wipes the table with PS3 software and beats 360 software by a pretty good margin you'll be saying the same thing?  Wii beat 360 software last holiday season with a smaller userbase while being severely supply constrained.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

"Right so after the holiday season when Wii wipes the table with PS3 software and beats 360 software by a pretty good margin you'll be saying the same thing?"

Maybe, but I live in the hopes that eventually people will wake up and stop buying inferior games that don't deserve to be purchased in such huge numbers like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart Wii and all of these other Wii games that have received sub 8.5 scores from the major review sites but have sold more than far better games like MGS, Uncharted, and Ratchet have this gen. That is not to say that the Wii doesn't have any good games because it does have Mario Galaxy and Zelda Twilight Princess and this new Wii Ware titled called World of Goo, for example, but really the only Wii game scheduled for the rest of this year that looks like it should sell at least a couple of million units is the new Tales game. Games like Wii Sports, Fit, and Mario Kart Not so Good as the Gamecube or DS Version don't deserve to sell more copies than Zelda did and I predict that Wii Music and Animal Crossing: City People both fail to get Zelda type review scores.

Paul_Warren said:

Words of Wisdom, FFXIII is going to be much better in real time play than that first picture of FFVIII that you show. As a matter of fact, the in game graphics in FFXIII might even be better than the cutscene that you show in your second picture. About the only thing your first picture proves is that the PS1 was capable of better graphics than the N64 and that if you want to see those types of graphics be as good as they can be 9 years after those, then you need a PS3.

No, you need a PC. PS3's are for those too poor to buy gaming PC's just like Wii's are for those too poor to buy PS3's .

I really don't understand PS3 graphic whores. If you are gonna be a graphic whore the only viable choice outside of a console's launch year is a PC, if games are more than graphics then the choice of games is what matters and what hardware they run on is less important.

And if you want FFXIII (or other game) to be as good as it can be you should be petitioning Square-Enix to release a PC version (after all it is being developed on PC's so the PS3 version is just as much a port as the 360 version is).

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

Paul_Warren said:
"That's because those two are/were the only big third party exclusives that Sony has/had left."

Well, the 360 doesn't have much left either. What two games? And one of those destined for a Metcritic score in the mid eight range.

With its much stronger lineup of internal studios, Sony wouldn't have to be concerned by only have two big third-party exclusives left. However, they have more than two exclusives left: FF versus XIII is an exclusive, Kingdom Hearts III could still be on its way to the PS3 especially in the light of Disney's recent big endorsements of the blu-ray technology, and Kojima's next game will most likely be developed as a PS3 exclusive. Also Final Fantasy XIII which has been developed from the ground up as a PS3 exclusive will remain a much better game than the 360 port will be.

For the record, FFXIII is being developed on PC.

Pixel Art can be fun.

SmokedHostage said:
Paul_Warren said:
"That's because those two are/were the only big third party exclusives that Sony has/had left."

Well, the 360 doesn't have much left either. What two games? And one of those destined for a Metcritic score in the mid eight range.

With its much stronger lineup of internal studios, Sony wouldn't have to be concerned by only have two big third-party exclusives left. However, they have more than two exclusives left: FF versus XIII is an exclusive, Kingdom Hearts III could still be on its way to the PS3 especially in the light of Disney's recent big endorsements of the blu-ray technology, and Kojima's next game will most likely be developed as a PS3 exclusive. Also Final Fantasy XIII which has been developed from the ground up as a PS3 exclusive will remain a much better game than the 360 port will be.

For the record, FFXIII is being developed on PC.

That´s actually a misinterpration from Kitase´s first interview. He cleared that up by saying that Square has always been working with PCs since FFVII. So we either have to say that every FF since VII has been developed on PC or on a PS console.

0.0...Paul Warren being a troll?

I guess he missed the fact that Halo3 beat MGS4...and that Animal Crossing Wild World beat Halo..wich means..Animal Crossing City Folks will KILL MGS4...duh

let's NOT start about Wii Music..becuse we all know it'll sell millions