By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kojima: Japanese game industry is in trouble

He's not talking about Japanese games in Japan, he's talking about Japanese games in terms of their worldwide presence, a stage on which Western development is quickly conquering the world.

Except for Nintendo. Nintendo is curb-stomping everybody, more or less everywhere.

But Kojima doesn't like to talk about that part.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Well it's not like games like MGS aren't appealing to the West or something.

The RPG genre in general seems to have declined but that's because many of them are on the wrong console if they're looking to get sales. Not only that but these companies simply refuse to advertise these games (or advertise them poorly) so obviously they wouldn't have much success. For smaller companies you can't complain, but for big companies it's jsut pathetic.

Not really.. they might not get your purchase, but the 360 - where most of them are at, is a major software seller, often selling 2x the Wii software.

Khuutra said:
He's not talking about Japanese games in Japan, he's talking about Japanese games in terms of their worldwide presence, a stage on which Western development is quickly conquering the world.

Except for Nintendo. Nintendo is curb-stomping everybody, more or less everywhere.

But Kojima doesn't like to talk about that part.

Why oh why can't i recognize that Ogre Battle 64 character...

yet another time when someone says something and people start over analyzing it.

Soriku - no where did I read Kojima was dissapointed with sales. Stupid people will read your post and now post it on another forum. but instead of this title it will be titled "kojima dissapointed with mgs4 sales" And thats how stupid rumors get started.

He's is mostly saying that the Japanese developers are making game without a care or thought about the much larger European and American audiences. (long delayed launchs, bad localizations, etc.)

You don't see many Japanese developed games lighting up the WW charts.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Xen said:
Soriku said:
Well it's not like games like MGS aren't appealing to the West or something.

The RPG genre in general seems to have declined but that's because many of them are on the wrong console if they're looking to get sales. Not only that but these companies simply refuse to advertise these games (or advertise them poorly) so obviously they wouldn't have much success. For smaller companies you can't complain, but for big companies it's jsut pathetic.

Not really.. they might not get your purchase, but the 360 - where most of them are at, is a major software seller, often selling 2x the Wii software.

A lot of these games don't get much advertisements though. Sincethe 360 is a big SW seller, they should advertise fopr even MORE sales >.>

Well, I know IU got lots of advertising, but its sales might have taken a snag because of rather low scores.

On the other hand, see the sales of LO. It's 800k+, which is quite a lot.

Games INDUSTRY....When I read that I thought J-game devs have problems not that the Sales are bad. => Don't find enough talented devs? New young devs going to Europe/USA to work there for a game company? Devs having problem to do it well financial? Etc..

@Soriku: There's more to Japanese development than Kojima's games and JRPGs.

@Kasz: Richard the Dragonheart.

the west ahs caught up but that doesnt mean japaneese dev is in trouble

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

What angle is he looking at this from? I've been looking at financials quite a bit, and here is what seems to be the case as of the last few quarters:

Activision and Ubisoft are making money, but Midway, SCi/Eidos, InfoGrames, Microsoft Game Studios, and Electronic Arts are losing money. Electronic Arts in particular is bleeding money out their ears.

Konami, Capcom, SquareEnix, NamcoBandai and Nintendo are making money, while SegaSammy and Sony are losing. Nintendo in particular is making enormous amounts of money.

It appears to me that the major Japanese publishers are significantly more profitable than the Western ones. What metric is he using here?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">