By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - C&C: Red Alert 3 is going to be just like the old Westwood games!

Man, I totally got that old C&C vibe watching this trailer. It's mother f'ing Hell March, it's Eistein, poorly made live-action scenes (hehe), and intense CG movies!

This is exactly like the old Command & Conquer games from Westwood studios. I'm seriously impressed by EA Los Angeles, and I can't wait to get this game. I've been playing the beta since FilePlanet gave away codes to registered members there, and I've had a blast. I thought the Empire of the Rising Sun would have been overpowered, but honestly, all factions have their pros and cons in a very equal way. It's been good playing LAN and online already, and I can't wait to get my hands on the single-player! =P

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Around the Network

I'm bought my first computer back in the '97 expecially to play Red Alert. I doubt that RA3 will be as good as the first one though.

Both RA and Dune franchises died when Westwood died.

except it will be shorter with a crappier storyline, this is EA expecting perfection will only bring massive disappointment. Look at how genertic C&C3 turned out.

SHMUPGurus said:

Man, I totally got that old C&C vibe watching this trailer. It's mother f'ing Hell March, it's Eistein, poorly made live-action scenes (hehe), and intense CG movies!

This is exactly like the old Command & Conquer games from Westwood studios. I'm seriously impressed by EA Los Angeles, and I can't wait to get this game. I've been playing the beta since FilePlanet gave away codes to registered members there, and I've had a blast. I thought the Empire of the Rising Sun would have been overpowered, but honestly, all factions have their pros and cons in a very equal way. It's been good playing LAN and online already, and I can't wait to get my hands on the single-player! =P

After having been in the whole beta i can tell you it is not.

The only things that are like them are

1. Cutscenes (though they are worse because EA can't direct cutscenes for shit. And they choose horrible actors because they think it's charming.. how nice)

2. Frank Klepacki is making the music

Gameplay of this game... Not at all. It's alright, but don't dare say that it's anything like the old cnc games, that's like spitting westwood in the face. Balance is also poor throughout the whole game.. i dunno.

Worst part is you can only install the game 3 times though. Or is it 5 ?

I'll probably still get it though.. but the drm is pissing me off so i'm not sure.

On positive notes it's better than their prior cnc games .. by far ..

Check out my game about moles ^

FaithRaven said:

I'm bought my first computer back in the '97 expecially to play Red Alert. I doubt that RA3 will be as good as the first one though.

It doesn't have to be better. It simply needs the feel that we're playing a Red Alert game with the usual Allies Vs. Soviets conflict, and the amazing soundtrack and stapled units.

Also flagship, C&C 3 was part of the original C&C storyline, so what can you expect? Kane is getting old, and I've never been a fan of this particular series. Red Alert was always superior to the main series because of its humor and what I've said above.

Funny how a spin-off can be better than the main series eh?

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Around the Network
SHMUPGurus said:
FaithRaven said:

It doesn't have to be better. It simply needs the feel that we're playing a Red Alert game with the usual Allies Vs. Soviets conflict, and the amazing soundtrack and stapled units.

Also flagship, C&C 3 was part of the original C&C storyline, so what can you expect? Kane is getting old, and I've never been a fan of this particul series. Red Alert was always superior to the main series because of its humor and what I've said above.

Funny how a spin-off can be better than the main series eh?

I disagree.. And the "spinoff" were supposed to become one with the main series back in the days.

Why do you think you see Kane when you win with the soviets in red alert ? he tells you that you will lay low till the 90s where the brotherhood will rise. Actually westwood still had plans to tie it in even after red alert 2 (which were originally supposed to be an alternate timeline)

Renegade 2 was supposed to tie in red alert 2 with tiberian dawn.

It's ea who did a horrible job on tiberium wars.. who the hell only uses red lights where they live ?.. or blue ? what the fuck. The cutscenes were so bad they made it loose all credability. Script was bad... and a lot of other things... it's really a shame that it's fallen that far from the epic.. Tiberian Dawn..

Tiberian Dawn is still the ultimate command & conquer. Red Alert is a close second. (red alert 2 after that because tiberian sun was a mess.. very confusing lol :P)

Staude said:

1. Cutscenes (though they are worse because EA can't direct cutscenes for shit. And they choose horrible actors because they think it's charming.. how nice)

Gameplay of this game... Not at all. It's alright, but don't dare say that it's anything like the old cnc games, that's like spitting westwood in the face. Balance is also poor throughout the whole game.. i dunno.

I'll probably still get it though.. but the drm is pissing me off so i'm not sure.

How so? I betcha you aren't really used to building many bases on land and sea. Red Alert 3 is introducing this whole new naval fighting stuff, surely you need to adapt to it. It's not difficult to create a barrage of tesla (with V4 Rocket Launcher units along your walls) that separates your recon base to your actual base when playing the Soviets. Flanking is also important, which is an element that was missing from a bunch of real-time strategy games. I love the new stuff in the game, sorry you can't enjoy it as it is though (and not what it should have been... change is not bad you know).

Also, by the way, WALLS are back! xD

And @ Staude's last comment:

Look man, like it or not, Westwood is not coming back. EA is also not that bad of a developer, they still got good functional teams. As long as the games are not broken, they're enjoyable. I wouldn't have seen Ubisoft or THQ take over the series, honestly.

Random game thought :

i cant wait to pick this game up

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

SHMUPGurus said:
Staude said:

How so? I betcha you aren't really used to building many bases on land and sea. Red Alert 3 is introducing this whole new naval fighting stuff, surely you need to adapt to it. It's not difficult to create a barrage of tesla (with VR-22 rocket along your walls) that separates your recon base to your actual base when playing the Soviets. Flanking is also important, which is an element that was missing from a bunch of real-time strategy games. I love the new stuff in the game, sorry you can't enjoy it as it is though (and not what it should have been... change is not bad you know).

Also, by the way, WALLS are back! xD

let me put it like this.. first i thought.. balance is off.. but you know.. it'll manage... Then i was singlehandedly destroyed by a Allied sniper and i was like.. what the fuck !

First he killed my.. like.. 16 units that were all charging him.. aparently he reloads very fast.. then he sent in for planes (like boris in ra2) but very quickly.. destroyed most my buildings.. then i went.. holy shit.. and packed up my mcv HE THEN TOOK OVER MY MCV !.. YES A SNIPER ! TOOK MY MCV !..

That was when i knew.. something was rotten in the game of ra3.. (it also took forever to get games going before the last patch)

I'm not saying i wont enjoy it.. i'm just saying that it's a shame because it could have been so much more than what it is.

also yeah, westwood aint coming back.. but atleast we have petroglyph with universe at war. Even though it's a step down from cnc i still found it one of the best RTS games i've played for a long time (the campaign)

Staude said:

let me put it like this.. first i thought.. balance is off.. but you know.. it'll manage... Then i was singlehandedly destroyed by a Allied sniper and i was like.. what the fuck !

First he killed my.. like.. 16 units that were all charging him.. aparently he reloads very fast.. then he sent in for planes (like boris in ra2) but very quickly.. destroyed most my buildings.. then i went.. holy shit.. and packed up my mcv HE THEN TOOK OVER MY MCV !.. YES A SNIPER ! TOOK MY MCV !..

That was when i knew.. something was rotten in the game of ra3.. (it also took forever to get games going before the last patch)

I'm not saying i wont enjoy it.. i'm just saying that it's a shame because it could have been so much more than what it is.

Don't forget the keyword: B-E-T-A. I'm sure EA used all the data and comment they got from the beta to change a few things before the final release. With that said, please wait before saying it could have been more. We've barely scratched the surface in my opinion!

To be honest, the only unit I thought was overpowered was the Kirov Bombers. Damn, four of these things and the enemy base is done for! But in Red Alert 2, it was almost the same, so you just got to think about second options! xD

Random game thought :