By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I don't see MUCH momentum in PS3 sales even after the price cut

llewdebkram said:

I know I'd be pretty pissed off if I thought in a few months time the next one they call the 'Premium pack' was the same price as the inferior one I just purchased!

Seriously, why inferior? Do you really prefer 20 gb + Motorstorm over Resistance, Motorstorm and controller? 

Around the Network

Sony SCEA said the other day in there blog they werent going to dis continue anything. Also The price cut was only in USA and sales over doubled there, ps3 sales have only increased in one region what do you expect the whole world to start buying a ps3 more often?

mM

Not my best post, forget it.

momentum is measured over a period of time, not with 1 piece of information.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

you can't say it's a failure until we at least wait a month. Ideally we should wait until July NPD.

Around the Network
deadhorse said:

I think it's safe to call the PS3 price cut a failure.  It's even lower than I predicted.  I predicted the Wii would only outsell the PS3 2 to 1 worldwide this week, it outsold it 3 to 1.  The PS3 also had all that positive publicity from E3.  I've seen endless posts on other PS3 boards saying that all the PS3 needed was a price cut and a few AAA games to dominate the market.  Well, it got a price cut and one AAA game(Ninja Gaiden Sigma) which had dissapointing sales.  

Anyway, on to my next prediction.  I predict Lair will sell less than 50,000 first week and that we'll see very little noticeable increase in sales of the PS3.  The anticipation of the game seems to be even less than NGS:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=2748

Still, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it will outsell NGS, but not by much.

The next big thing to help the PS3 is the release of Warhawk on August 28.   I say it will sell much better and the PS3 sales will get a significant boost, but with the Wii outselling the PS3 3 to 1 even after a price cut it's not going to make a big difference in the long run.  I should mention that Metroid Prime 3 is being released the day before.  Based on board activity the anticipation for this game is several times more than Warhawk.

The ps3 only had a price cut in North america not World wide, just to clear that out, its not a failure since it outsold the x360 Worldwide even at its strongest area in the U.S.

mM
deadhorse said:

I think it's safe to call the PS3 price cut a failure.  It's even lower than I predicted.  I predicted the Wii would only outsell the PS3 2 to 1 worldwide this week, it outsold it 3 to 1.  The PS3 also had all that positive publicity from E3.  I've seen endless posts on other PS3 boards saying that all the PS3 needed was a price cut and a few AAA games to dominate the market.  Well, it got a price cut and one AAA game(Ninja Gaiden Sigma) which had dissapointing sales.  

Anyway, on to my next prediction.  I predict Lair will sell less than 50,000 first week and that we'll see very little noticeable increase in sales of the PS3.  The anticipation of the game seems to be even less than NGS:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=2748

Still, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it will outsell NGS, but not by much.

The next big thing to help the PS3 is the release of Warhawk on August 28.   I say it will sell much better and the PS3 sales will get a significant boost, but with the Wii outselling the PS3 3 to 1 even after a price cut it's not going to make a big difference in the long run.  I should mention that Metroid Prime 3 is being released the day before.  Based on board activity the anticipation for this game is several times more than Warhawk.

The ps3 only had a price cut in North america not World wide, just to clear that out, its not a failure since it outsold the x360 Worldwide even at its strongest area in the U.S.

mM

Scruff - Well, it's good to know that someone in Europe isn't reporting any problems with the firmware updates that allow backwards compatibility. I had always heard that the Euro-gamers weren't having any difficulties with the backwards playback but I wasnt going to say so until someone actually chimed in with an opinion.

Ask me how to turn a Rottweiler in to a Dodongo and I'll tell you the story of a lifetime.

the problem with backwards compatability is even if you buy 1 game and it doesn't work on your PS3, then you basically need to keep your PS2. I thought the point was to replace your PS2.

I think people were expecting way too much from this price reduction ...

Certainly it was a large value for a price reduction ($100) but the console is still $500 which means that when you pick up the system, a game and pay taxes your total will always be over $500; there has been a lot of research into the psychology of certain prices (and I'm no expert) and I expect that paying more than $500 for a toy is a non-starter for many individuals and families.

Beyond that, even the core gamer early adopter crowd unless they are also in the market for a Blu-Ray player; most of the games available for the PS3 are available (and have been available for awhile) for the PC and XBox 360; for someone who has no interest in Blu-Ray it doesn't make sense to spend $500 on a PS3 when you could buy FEAR, Oblivion, and so on for a platform you already own for $60.

This outcome was obvious being that the 60GB PS3 has been $500 in Japan for quite a while and has not sold particularly well ... The question is whether Sony will be willing to perform the drastic actions that are necessary in order to make the PS3 competative before it becomes too late?