By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that you enjoyed despite thinking they will suck before purchase

Psychonauts, Breath of Fire, Wild Arms, Ring of Red, probably a whole lot more. Oddly it seems that about half the games I pick up from bargain bins are actually pretty good.

Around the Network

MGS 2

And now am a Fan of the series.

4 ≈ One

I expected Blood Omen 2 to suck horribly. It didn't blow my socks off and the controls gave me some solid moments of frustration, but it shaped up to be a really solid game. Same for Soul Reaver, though it was almost too easy to be honestly frustrating, just tedious in a few areas.

Tomb Raider Legend was rather nice. I hated the graphics that I had seen for the earlier versions, but I really liked what they did for this one. The gameplay had a few irritating moments, but the controls actually were very smooth.

Now, if we're talking totally mind bending different, I've got to raise Psychonauts back up onto it's pedestal. I had taken one look at the cover and dismissed it as something similar to bug's life. I was so wrong that it still boggles my mind to this day. It was utter gaming bliss the entire way through. There were elements of the basic gameplay that remained consistent throughout the entire game, but each level was so unique and completely its own, but also entirely logical for why it was designed the way it was.

Thief: Deadly Shadows should also get a mention in here. It was basically THE game that introduced me to the idea that games not made by Nintendo could still be pretty decent. I missed out on the Silent Hill and Resident Evil series, so this was also the first game to actively scare the crap out of me when I got to the "cradle" level.

Zelda 2: Adventures of Link was actually a game that I used to hate and despise, but now I hate and respect. It helped that the DS NES emulator allows you to rewind time ala Prince of Persia style.

I actually am very picky about what games I'm willing to consider great games, but I've found that there's a much larger library of games out there, that I'd have considered decent, than what I originally expected.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Crash Team Racing. I was a huge Crash fan as well as a Mario Kart fan. At the time, I had a PS1 but did not have a N64. I thought there would be no way it could live up to MK, but really wanted a kart racer. In my opinion it turned out just as good as any of them out there.

Dragon Ball Z Budokai 1 - Bought it being a huge DBZ fan, was very simple but it was simple and fun for me.

Super Mario RPG - I wasn't sure about how Mario would work in a RPG and ended up loving it.

Star Wars Battlefront Renegade Squadron - Wasn't expecting much from it after reading reviews but bought it because I'm a huge Battlefront player on PC and just wanted a portable version, got it and thought how much better the controls were over the PS2 version I played of BF2 and loved the new customizing characters and hero space ships so and now my most played PSP game.

In general most SNES/SEGA Gen games that weren't really promoted and no one seemed to be interested in them like the Power Rangers fighting game and Tiny Toon sports game and Buster Busts loose, those were crazy fun for some reason.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

@Grey Acumen

Soul Reaver totally rocked nad is very underrated. Its one of those games that as soon as you push start, you know you are playing a quality game... Much like Tomb Raider Legend. Both were done by the same company actually...

Recently Super Star Dust HD i misjudged the game when its fully bought.

And i found about 3 Under-rated and overlooked PS2 games then im gonna buy soon about 2 to 8 bux a game and i think they have a strong chance of meliking them since they all seem like DMC/Chaos Legion rip-offs.

Hmm usually it goes the other way around for me.

There probably are a couble NES titles that I could name.

I guess the original Mission:Impossible for NES was better than I expected.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

disolitude said:
@Grey Acumen

Soul Reaver totally rocked nad is very underrated. Its one of those games that as soon as you push start, you know you are playing a quality game... Much like Tomb Raider Legend. Both were done by the same company actually...

It had very smooth controls, incredible mood and a very solid design in general, plus this irritatingly vaguestoryline that left you constantly wanting to keep going until the end, but there was a lot of little things that really dragged it down:

Lost content - There was supposed to be one last area that had the last of the 5 brothers before fighting Kain the last time, as well as possibly a priestess of some sort and a 3rd battle with Kain as well as 2 more soul reaver forms. The game was great, but with only 5 boss battles, it came out feeling very short. The extra content could have gone a long way towards addressing those issues. I think a lot of the cut content got used in Soul Reaver 2 though.

Difficulty(or lack thereof) - I never used the dodge button through the entire game, I never used magic except to test it out a few times. I just threw things at enemies and hacked away at them, occasionally bounced back into the shadow realm to recharge. Once you got the soul reaver the only point to picking up weapons was to spear unprepared enemies in the distance, and once you got the kinetic beam thing, even that became surperfluous. The closest I ever came to being destroyed was a single time in the battle with Dumah, and that was the only time I even came CLOSE.

Repetitive puzzles - the block puzzles were neat the first couple times, but once you got the hang of it, it became VERY old hat. They weren't even terribly tricky, just tedious. I think this, combined with the lack of difficulty is what kills any reply value the game might have had for me.

Lack of direction - I only had to use a strategy guide ONCE for this game, and that was to figure out how to get to the tombs. i seriously had no clue how to get there and the only hints the game gave me were "past the pillars." I'm like "wut? past how, which way past?"

None of this stops the game from being good, but it does keep me from ranking it up there in the "greats"

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

I never purchase games I believe to be sucky. :p

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046