By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the wii start getting main series instead of spin offs?

Especially in Japan they can't ignore market share forever.

Around the Network
yushire said:
I think everyone here accepts that the Wii is a different beast than HD consoles. I mean, are Wii owners really want multiplat games? Because thats whats really happening in HD consoles, except for their first party consoles and Final Fantasy XIII theres no BIG titles on HD consoles which isnt a multiplat.

There's something very wrong with this statement.

Personally, I play games because they are good, not because they are exclusive and will boost the sales of the console I own (I mean it's not like Sony will give me $200 for every person I get to buy a PS3. I use sony as an example as I own a PS3, not because I'm using any excuse to discredit them).

I don't think you need anyone to tell you this, but by that statement, you're a fanboy.

I doubt we'll see many developers use their main series on the Wii instead of spin-offs. Alot of Wii Fans will say "but 3rd party titles do sell on the Wii, look!" and give you a list of Wii 3rd party titles not from Nintendo that sell, whilst neglecting to say that those games happen to appeal to casual and core (Guitar Hero, Lego whatever etc).Fact of the matter is, Core,  High production value, 3rd party, non-remake/port games more often then not, don't sell well on the Wii.

Fact of the matter is, putting all your eggs in one basket (Wii) is not a smart business move when you consider the 360/PS3 has many different genre's of high selling core games.

Also, many developers invested in/created game and graphics engines based on the 360 and PS3 architecture. It'd be insane not to put games out on those platforms, because of all the money spent getting themselves ready to be able to make great games on those platforms.

We'll see some developers switch their main series to the Wii, but it'll mostly be games that cater to the Japanese Market, as opposed to games that'll optimise the use of the Wii-mote. I hope kingdom Hearts isn't one of those games (I don't care which platform it goes to, I just don't want it to be Wii EXCLUSIVE).

Soriku said:
I'm not sure about Western devs, but Japanese devs will.

We've seen in the past year there's been NO big or notable games announced for the HD consoles that hasn't been in development for a long time. But the Wii? We've got Fatal Frame IV. We also have MH3. Not only that but look at the SLEW of Marvelous's games. Look at Suda - NMH. etc.

The games that came and are coming to HD consoles such as FF XIII, MGS4, SO4, DMC4, SC IV, etc. - those won't move to the Wii. But there are other series that can move to the Wii - KH, DQ (after DQ IX), Suikoden, and there's more but I don't feel like listing.

Fact is the HD consoles are disasters in Japan and will get less and less third party games as we've seen while the Wii gets more and more as we've also seen.

And don't forget - The Wii hasn't been out for two years yet. Even the DS took 2 years for support. Back then, the only notable DS game was Castlevania.

@WoW

Well for one, SCL came out last year.

Two, about Tales, you're missing one point. The console that is winning gets the most main Tales. It went SNES > PS1 > PS2 in terms of most Tales. With this gen, the Wii already has ToS: DotNW and is getting another game. With handhelds...I'll just skip to DS. The DS has 3 main Tales while the PSP has two ports (that never came out in the West) and two spin-offs. The 360 may have ToV but the majority of console Tales this gen will be on the Wii.

Then why did the gamecube got symphonia the "mother" game?

Once a game that appeals to the "hardcore crowd", like the Conduit, sells extremely well on Wii, then third parties will take the Wii more seriously. Remember that disruption is a slow process, but in theory it will absorb the core market sooner or later.

@ yushire

Why so much hate at Konami? At least I liked Elebits, MLB Power Pros, Pro Evolution and you said Dewy's was a good game...

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Gamerace said:

@ yushire - Red Steel 2 is confirmed by Ubisoft. @ WoW it's also confirmed to use WM+ so 1:1 is likely.  Conduit is definately generic but it's the only game in town in a lot of regards for Wii.

Also this may not be so off-topic when you consider people bought a Wii for what it does differently (Wii Sports primarily) not for the graphics.   Bringing the same old gameplay mechanics too Wii just seems like a waste.   If all you're going to do is make the same game, again, then it makes sense to do it on HD where the graphics make the difference.  If you want to make something new and different it makes sense to put it to Wii.  

Therefore main series will in all liklihood continue on HD systems and 'spin-offs' or experimental designs (Sonic w sword slashing action) going to Wii. 

I'm still waiting to see if 1:1 is what it's advertised as.   My expectations (contrary to some) are very low for it and I'm thinking it will be a let down overall.

Conduit is overhyped but that's a topic for another thread.

Around the Network

what major franchises havnt got current gen iterations yet

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Never.

You did get MH3 though, that's cool.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Gamerace said:

@ yushire - Red Steel 2 is confirmed by Ubisoft. @ WoW it's also confirmed to use WM+ so 1:1 is likely.  Conduit is definately generic but it's the only game in town in a lot of regards for Wii.

Also this may not be so off-topic when you consider people bought a Wii for what it does differently (Wii Sports primarily) not for the graphics.   Bringing the same old gameplay mechanics too Wii just seems like a waste.   If all you're going to do is make the same game, again, then it makes sense to do it on HD where the graphics make the difference.  If you want to make something new and different it makes sense to put it to Wii.  

Therefore main series will in all liklihood continue on HD systems and 'spin-offs' or experimental designs (Sonic w sword slashing action) going to Wii. 

I'm still waiting to see if 1:1 is what it's advertised as.   My expectations (contrary to some) are very low for it and I'm thinking it will be a let down overall.

Conduit is overhyped but that's a topic for another thread.

That's a word to the wise right there.

Well MH3 is a start,and so are the tales game,but I think it will start at around the second half of 09 and then continue,but ocourse it won't get all the main series ones,it'll still continue to get some spin-offs.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Soriku said:
@ctk

That's ONE game. The PS2 had Legendia, Abyss, Destiny 2, Rebirth...

The 360 has ToV but the Wii will get the most.

Not to mention that Symphonia got ported to the PS2 later on, too.