By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 big in Japan, but new PS3 could usurp lead

both are disasters, end of story.

Around the Network
Jordahn said:

If SONY were selling more PS3 hardware, some of you would be crying "SONY is finacially hurting because with every PS3 sold they are loosing money."  And marketshare is RELATIVE and nowhere near as crucial as it were, let's say, fiften years ago because the PS3 is a viable option regardless of the fact that it's in third.  Besides how can you loose marketshare when the PS3 has always been in third?  Like I said earlier "There is no one way of looking at it."  And because of that some of you will always spin this negatively.  And I'm not just referring this in favor of the PS3.  Some have had it a bigger deal for the PS3 than it really is.

I think he might have been referring to market share of PS3 in Japan this gen compared to market share of PS2 last gen.  If that is what he means the loss of market share has been as huge as the size of Russia.   

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

tuoyo said:
Jordahn said:

If SONY were selling more PS3 hardware, some of you would be crying "SONY is finacially hurting because with every PS3 sold they are loosing money."  And marketshare is RELATIVE and nowhere near as crucial as it were, let's say, fiften years ago because the PS3 is a viable option regardless of the fact that it's in third.  Besides how can you loose marketshare when the PS3 has always been in third?  Like I said earlier "There is no one way of looking at it."  And because of that some of you will always spin this negatively.  And I'm not just referring this in favor of the PS3.  Some have had it a bigger deal for the PS3 than it really is.

I think he might have been referring to market share of PS3 in Japan this gen compared to market share of PS2 last gen.  If that is what he means the loss of market share has been as huge as the size of Russia.   

Your accessment of his context might have been his intention, But I don't think it matters.  I've always found it irrevelent in this context because the PS2 and PS3 are two different products especially since marketshare is relative.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

It's clear to see that MS has no clear strategy.

They switch up all the time.

First it was 'First to 10 million sold wins the console race', then it was 'EU! EU! EU!' and now it's 'all about Japan'.

This is all the span of about a year.

They have no idea what they are focusing on, and it's hurting them immensely. Putting all the money that they put into Japan into EU would have yielded immensely better results.

Jordahn said:
tuoyo said:
Jordahn said:

Your accessment of his context might have been his intention, But I don't think it matters.  I've always found it irrevelent in this context because the PS2 and PS3 are two different products especially since marketshare is relative.

You made it relevant. You were one that brought the money spent by Microsoft to increase it hardware sales. Thus the money Sony lost conceding marketshare to its competiton became a valid point.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
Jordahn said:
tuoyo said:
Jordahn said:

You made it relevant. You were one that brought the money spent by Microsoft to increase it hardware sales. Thus the money Sony lost conceding marketshare to its competiton became a valid point.

Actually it was naznatip who brought up Microsoft's investment of the 360 in Japan, and I stress specificly 360, not the original Xbox (two different products focused at two diferent times like the PS3 and PS2.)

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

japenese like the lastest stuff. so maybe they will want a GOOD BLURAY PLAYER over A STANDARD DVD PLAYER

Will be interesting to see how the new bundle does.

Jordahn said:
Sansui said:

If you're looking at Japan and this generation in particular as a complete microcosm, then yes, total disasters.  But, Microsoft's strategy has allowed them to pick up third party games from Japanese developers that appeal to NA and Europe too and improve their brand perception in Japan.

This generation has been all about games and online service, and MS is building a compelling portfolio in both.  They can't afford to be third place this gen if they want to start being regularly profitable.

Investment in Japan = worldwide investment.

Didn't Microsoft themselves said something along the lines of winning Europe was a key to winning the console wars???

Up to a certain point and depending on the regions, european gaming tastes sort of overlap with japanese gaming tastes.

MS's investment in Japan might not be reaping anything in Japan but it's sure helping them broaden their portfolio outside. Didn't you notice how many users of this site got themselves a 360 after the onslaught of jrpgs was announced?

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Reasonable said:

Sorry, wrong assumption.  The GT prologues (yes there have been others) only sell a fraction of the full title - i.e. not everyone who wants GT buys a preview version first.

Given GT5:P sales based on previous GT sales the potential is there for huge numbers for full GT5.  By the same token it is fair to assume at least some of them will be buying a PS3 at the same time.

Still, at least we know that if you did like GT you would be in the smaller minority that buys the prologue as well!

Are the prologue GTs tracked separately on VGChartz?  It would be nice to get a quantitative instead of qualitative measurement.