By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-ray discs to overtake DVDs, Disney says

Cool, good luck to them. Going from 5% to 50% in two years though... and especially in the current economic climate - well, I wouldn't want to be betting on that happening. 5 years - maybe.
(5% taken from other article, as "total" sales spread in the US - rather than just sales of new release titles).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

They need to give me my damn Pulp Fiction on Blu.

Also hopefully this XMas I'll be able to find some BD for $10, I need to up my collection.

NightDragon83 said:

Plus... in order for movies to really take advantage of the Blu-Ray format, they have had to have been originally filmed using high-end HD cameras. This is only true for movies within the past few years or so... all older movies that are transfered onto Blu-Ray are virtually the same as taking the existing DVD versions and up-converting them to 1080p. If you were to watch, say, the Wizard of Oz on Blu-Ray, there'd be virtually no difference between that version and the existing DVD version, and you're not gonna convince millions of consumers they need to re-buy all those movies yet again when the existing DVD versions are perfectly fine.

Actually films don't have to be filmed with new high-end HD cameras to benefit from BR. 35mm film for example has even higher resolution than 1080p. Actually almost all films in last 50 years have been filmed with over 1080p resolution.

lol i wonder why people dont want bluray to overtake dvd? doesnt have something to do with ps3 having built in bluray player does it?

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:
lol i wonder why people dont want bluray to overtake dvd? doesnt have something to do with ps3 having built in bluray player does it?

It has to do with the fact the bluray costs so damn much while providing marginal benefits.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network

I think What disney knows is that Blu-ray disk prices will eventually match DVD prices, and Blu ray players will be under $100 in 2 years time. Why wouldn't you upgrade if the disks costs the same and the cost to upgrade isn't very steep?

2 years is a possible assumption, players get cheaper and at that time its realistically to have standalone players at sub $100.

some people will upgrade for the bonus some will jsut buy a bluray as replacement for a broken dvd player. how long is the lifetime for an average dvd player? especially for the cheap ones it cannot be too long i have seen a lot friends buying a new one every 1-2 years often just after warranty is over. i personally own a better quality dvd player and its working still after over 4 years.

Look at Amazon already (yes I know its not a perfect picture but still). In the top 5 titles 3 are blu ray. Iron man and the dark knight are selling far better on blu ray then on DVD.

On one hand I do think Blu Ray will be the number one format even over DVD pretty soon on some movies, namely big releases and action movies. If you are going to get Iron Man or Transformers it really makes sense to make the effort to get the Blu Ray version if you can. As far as cheap DVD only movies or a lot of dramas go, its not as big a deal. I bet Blu Ray will overtake DVD on sales of action releases in pretty short order (a year or less) but will lag behind in terms of other types of movies.

Also it allows studios to sell older good movies again. I'll buy the Bourne series, the Lord of the Rings and others day one on Blu Ray even though I already have those on DVD. Again though, comes down to action movies. For dramas DVD is fine which is why you almost always see action movies bringing in the big Blu Ray numbers. Though Sleeping Beauty is doing well on Blu Ray. It's 1st on DVD and 5th on Blu Ray (above the DVD Iron man and others) so even outside action movies there seems to be a growing market for Blu Ray.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Skeeuk said:

Trust me, nothing would please me more than BluRay players dropping to DVD player levels - and BluRay discs replacing DVDs. Then things would be exactly as they are now, just with higher quality movies.

Its all about pricing for me - that alone determines how many/which movies I will purchase. And I'm sure BluRay movies will be more costly than DVD movies for years (if not ever) to come. And for that reason alone, I really couldn't care less about the format (except for the fact that it probably will drive DVD movie prices down, which is sweet :>).

The worst thing that could happen (for me), is movie companies DUMP DVD completely - purely go with BluRay - and players + disc prices remain high. Then I would be forced to basically buy no more movies :P

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Skeeuk said:

I admit I would be much more willing to support Blu Ray if Sony wasn't at the forefront of the format.  That's one of the reasons I bought a HD DVD player (apart from prices being cheaper and the technology being complete unlike blu ray until very recenty) even though I knew with Blu Ray being built into PS3 HD DVD did not even have a prayer (in fact I thought the Playstation brand name would lead to much much bigger PS3 sales and so gave HD DVD even less chance than it did).  Same reason why I am not getting a Blu Ray player now even though the price is not an issue and will probably only get one when Blu Ray recorders arrive in Europe so I can record HD from satellite.  Conclusion - I want Blu Ray to fail because I hate Sony.  Which makes it all the more painful that it's looking like I might have to get a PS3 as that seems the best solution for playing recordings I make with the HD camcorder I just purchased.   

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down